Poll: On a scale of 1 to 10 how do you treat strangers?
Poll Options
View poll results: On a scale of 1 to 10 how do you treat strangers?
1- I treat them as strangers
8 13%
5 8%
7 11%
6 10%
5- I treat them like I know them slightly
15 24%
4 6%
9 15%
2 3%
0 0%
10- treat them like I treat my friends
6 10%
Voters: 62.
When I say strangers I mean people you don't know but that you've seen before.

In my English class today we had to give group presentations about the Crucible. My group had already gone and I was just watching the other groups present. This one girl in the front row was basically sleeping throughout all the presentations. So during the last presentation the kid sitting next to her shakes her desk jokingly and she gets pissed. I know for a fact she doesn't know the guy so I think to myself, "I bet if one of her friends had done that she would have found it funny or at least not been pissed."

So I was wondering why people act differently towards strangers then people they know. When I ask this I'm referring to smale scale things because it's obviously strange when the matter involves something sexual or something personal.

Mostly I'm just looking for opinions about why this happens

Examples of the kind of thing I'm talking about:

-Butting into a conversation about a hobby or something that you also enjoy
-Starting a conversation with someone you don't know (depends if you find that strange or not.)
-Talking about religion or politics. (As in you wouldn't normally share your opinions about how you think god doesn't exist with just anyone. Idk maybe you would.)
-Joking with people you don't know

I would also like to know if you guys are impartial towards strangers or do you treat them differently then aqquaintances or friends? And why.
What's up?
How would you like it if someone you didn't know buts into your conversation/awkwardly starts a conversation with you/discusses religion and or politics with you(had this happen to me the other day, it was very weird)?
I like to think I am really nice to everyone.

And if you say otherwise I will shove a boot up your ass.
I usually don't treat strangers like friends, unless they're a friend of one of my friends. I try keeping my humor clean, be polite, and stuff like that until I know them better.
i have no problem starting conversation with acquaintances, but strangers is sometimes a hard thing unless its "business related" ie job interview, creating bank account, enrolling in classes at school, etc.

for me its just a comfort zone thing. i also don't appreciate people messing with me if they aren't at least acquainted because i hate not being sure if someone is serious or joking.
I voted 3. I try to speak to friendly people if they seem talkative, I won't just ignore them. Unless I'm worried. But I have mild anxiety problems. I'm quite awkward and yeah...
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
I voted 3. I try to speak to friendly people if they seem talkative, I won't just ignore them. Unless I'm worried. But I have mild anxiety problems. I'm quite awkward and yeah...

I have aspergers traits, but I tend to be deluded of social boundaries so appear very friendly to strangers. Not in a weird way, it's all good.
I voted 2

I'm fairly crap with people I don't know. I have to just be around them quite a bit before I can talk to them
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
It depends really..
As much as it is not an aesthetic thought, first impressions are always visual. If you like the look of the person, you will find them easier to talk to, rather than if you see the person as a wreck. It depends on a lot of things..

I've had people come up to me and starting random conversations, or joining into debates that me and my friends are having. It happens. As me and my friends have joined other people we met and etc.

Also depends on your mood and such..
Quote by Craigo
I have aspergers traits, but I tend to be deluded of social boundaries so appear very friendly to strangers. Not in a weird way, it's all good.

There was a girl on one of the Top Model shows with Aspergers and she was so misunderstood, and bullied at times but she was lovely.
Quote by SteveHouse
I voted 6.

I'm not that good at talking to people in that I can't engage or start conversation very well with someone, even if I know them quite well. But if they talk to me and initiate things then I can normally talk and make jokes quite naturally...

Although I do have to tone my humour down a bit until I know them since I know my sense of humour isn't quite to everyones tastes
Dakota Ruins
Metalcore/Hardcore from Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Please click on our name and check us out

My Stage Gear:
Cort Curbow 4
Ibanez SRX430
Hartke HA 3500 + Hartke 4.5XL
Line 6 G50 Wireless
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
There was a girl on one of the Top Model shows with Aspergers and she was so misunderstood, and bullied at times but she was lovely.

Most of the time you can't tell. Hell, I found out my best friend had it the other day properly rather than my scatty traits last month, and I've known her for over a year.
Quote by Craigo
Most of the time you can't tell. Hell, I found out my best friend had it the other day properly rather than my scatty traits last month, and I've known her for over a year.

You could tell in certain ways that she had traits, but she was trying to just aim for her goal and some of the other girls were horrid about it. Girls uneducated on what Aspergers is just trying to pick out 'flaws'.
Quote by SteveHouse