Page 1 of 2
What is so wrong with your middle finger. Why does holding up only your middle finger an insult. Why is it so different than your other fingers. Is it because it is the tallest? It might because holding your thumb, the shortest means good job. Then wouldn't holding up your index finger be bad also because it is the middle when it comes to height. If someone could please explain what everyone has to discriminate against the middle finger i would be happy.

Sorry for that, it was a random rant.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
in some cultures the thumb represents what the middle finger does here
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
because the middle finger's a douche for showing off that he's the tallest, and the underdog, in this case, the thumb is retarded (since its bent backwards) so anything it does means good job.
Quote by Century
in some cultures the thumb represents what the middle finger does here

I've heard that actually I remember it from Romeo and Juliet, so let me rephrase, why does American or Western society or whatever, hate the middle finger.
grok it.

SKREAM!

1. Hold up your middle finger
2. Spread your fingers on your other hand
3. Stick your middle finger into the space between your other hand.

That's what your doing to them, my best guess.
I remember something on the History Channel about it...

It had something to do with french archers...
The Pit. The Movie.
heres a rough explanation of the middle fingers origin, or one of the myths.
look it up online you'll get a better description.

Back during on of the wars between the english and french during the middle ages. It was around the time of the invention of the long bow. I believe the french had the long bow and could reach the english but the english's arrows couldn't reach far enough. So one night the english captured some of the french bowman and cut off all there middle fingers so they could pluck the bow.

The next time the french attacked again, the british held up there middle fingers and said "pluck you" because they could shoot without there middle fingers (don't ask why they couldn't use another finger) this became an insult and eventually over time turned to **** you.

EDIT:// I see the person above me can back me up
I dont know if this is true. But apparently in the Hundred Years war when the French captured British archers they would cut off their middle fingers so they could no longer use their longbows effectively. So whenever uncaptured british longbowmen would see french they would hold up their middle fingers.

or that could be complete and utter bullshit.

edit: wow same three posts in a row
Quote by Shib

The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
I KNOW WHY =O

during the war between french and britain ( in the middle age ) , when the french army capture some britain , they cut thier middle finger, so theey can't use their long-bow again
so , when after britain won a battle, they always show off their middle finger to say like : you fag , we win and we still got our middle finger.

sorry for my crappy english , but the middle finger as an insult came from this

EDIT : I think I'm right, I,m not the only post who say this thing about french and britain
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
cuz its black.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by cpt jaredkent

Back during on of the wars between the english and french during the middle ages. It was around the time of the invention of the long bow. I believe the french had the long bow and could reach the english but the english's arrows couldn't reach far enough. So one night the english captured some of the french bowman and cut off all there middle fingers so they could pluck the bow.

The next time the french attacked again, the british held up there middle fingers and said "pluck you" because they could shoot without there middle fingers (don't ask why they couldn't use another finger) this became an insult and eventually over time turned to **** you.

this man speakse the truth

stupid french
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
because dumb ****ing idiots happen to be everywhere and just by making an expression with your hand makes them mad.
Thank you bender, my thirst for knowledge has been quenched
grok it.

SKREAM!

Somebody a long ass time ago some jackass pointed his middle finger at someone and said that it meant **** you and everyone copied that jackass.
Quote by Eric 666
because the middle finger's a douche for showing off that he's the tallest, and the underdog, in this case, the thumb is retarded (since its bent backwards) so anything it does means good job.

It's funny because it's true... sort of.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Eric 666

yes. this.

i was joking about the last post btw, i just heard "discriminating against the middle figner" and that came to mind
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
it actually came from the brits

in wartime where bows and arrows were still used, when archers were captured they would cut off their index, middle and ring fingers

so as a taunt archers would hold up those fingers (in a way similar to the "read between the lines" fashion) and shout "pluck you!"

it evolved from the pluck you to **** you and the amount of fingers lessened to just the middle finger
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
Quote by humperdunk
this man speakse the truth

stupid french

Haha i see i posted at the perfect time too, right before the 2 or 3 people below me
Screw flipping people off... I prefer biting my thumb in their direction.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
actually, biting your thumb is different, its more like "spitting the ground someone walks on". i guess in Australia, the thumb is our middle finger.

and don't hold me to this, but a history teacher i had in highschool said the middle finger originated when in the middle ages either the french or english would remove the middle fingers from the enemy archers they held prisoner (anyone who knows archery knows you can't really pull a bowstring without that strong middle finger).

when prisoners would escape with said finger in tact, they would often show it meaning "screw you, i got away you pansies"

eidt: dammit, i was beaten by so many while i was typing it. stupid copypasters.
Did anyone else have friends when you were little kids insist that sticking up your pinky was the "Chinese Middle Finger?" During like 1st grade everyone did this and I knew it was fake the whole time.

Because I'm smart.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by Mockstairwell
Did anyone else have friends when you were little kids insist that sticking up your pinky was the "Chinese Middle Finger?" During like 1st grade everyone did this and I knew it was fake the whole time.

Because I'm smart.

HAHA yes you werent alone, that happened at my school too, and just like you I called bull shit on it
Quote by Mockstairwell

Because I'm smart.

lol, same here.
Quote by dudius
actually, biting your thumb is different, its more like "spitting the ground someone walks on". i guess in Australia, the thumb is our middle finger.

and don't hold me to this, but a history teacher i had in highschool said the middle finger originated when in the middle ages either the french or english would remove the middle fingers from the enemy archers they held prisoner (anyone who knows archery knows you can't really pull a bowstring without that strong middle finger).

when prisoners would escape with said finger in tact, they would often show it meaning "screw you, i got away you pansies"

eidt: dammit, i was beaten by so many while i was typing it. stupid copypasters.

I did not copy and paste, haha i was the first one who posted the long story, and if i copy and pasted that from a site, the way it ws written i probably wouldn't trust that site
besides the historical myths/stories/whatever, it's also seen as bad just because that's what society accepts it as.

there's no reason why certain words become "bad" words but eventually society uses them in a negative connotation and they are then looked down upon.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by Eric 666

haha: haha: haha: haha: Someone better sig this...

I'm going to take four people posting the same story at the exact same time as conclusive evidence that this is where the middle finger originated.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by wtf290

I'm going to take four people posting the same story at the exact same time as conclusive evidence that this is where the middle finger originated.

haha i believe there are some other myths but this seems to be the most widely known/accepted
It's phallic.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by Eric 666

am i the only one who laughed histarically at that?
Quote by cpt jaredkent

NO.
Common myth. originated in the 19th century, but there is no evidence to show that particular gesture being used. Its in Season 5 of QI, if I remember correctly.
huh, in the middle east you can't give someone the thumbs up without fearing for your life, and in Africa and the Caribbean you can't wave to people, or they'll think you're calling them a bastard.
my middle finger on my left hand is bent to the right quite a bit lol.
just thought i'd say.
Quote by LordBishek

NO.
Common myth. originated in the 19th century, but there is no evidence to show that particular gesture being used. Its in Season 5 of QI, if I remember correctly.

i clearly said it was a myth and i have no idea what QI is
Quote by divinecrossfire
it actually came from the brits

in wartime where bows and arrows were still used, when archers were captured they would cut off their index, middle and ring fingers

so as a taunt archers would hold up those fingers (in a way similar to the "read between the lines" fashion) and shout "pluck you!"

it evolved from the pluck you to **** you and the amount of fingers lessened to just the middle finger
i lawled. it's truly amazing how hard some people grasp at anything they can to attempt to support a myth.

Quote by IlikeTheSKA
It's phallic.
sounds plausible.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by cpt jaredkent
i clearly said it was a myth and i have no idea what QI is

You were just the first one I saw, I knew there were more posts, but I couldn't be arsed to quote all of them. Still, your post was mildly ambiguous, so no harm done.

QI is one of the greatest shows on British Television, hosted by the wittiest man in Britain.
Page 1 of 2