Hey guys!

I've just met some people and we all have really similiar tastes in music etc and have all decided to start a band together and our first practice is next week. I'll be on guitar along with another guitarist, bassist and drumer (no real singer yet but it's early days).

The only trouble is this is the first band I've been in and the other three all have a lot more experience playing music than me. (They all go to music college while I finished college last september and never did any proper music course), and they've been playing their instruments alot longer than me.

Because of this I'm getting quite nervous about how well I'm going to play at the practice... so was wondering, any advice I could use? And is the first practice generally expected not to go that well? Especially for newbies?

Thanks in advance guys
Dakota Ruins
Metalcore/Hardcore from Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Please click on our name and check us out

My Stage Gear:
Cort Curbow 4
Ibanez SRX430
Hartke HA 3500 + Hartke 4.5XL
Line 6 G50 Wireless
Don't worry too much about if you're good enough, just play and have a good time.
Music Myspace

Quote by Kensai
Just don't do it in las vegas, new york or miami. Their CSI teams will find you and hunt you down without mercy.
Just play and have fun. You don't need experience and a college degree in music to do that. I'm sure you'll keep up well.
UG's AC/DC Lover
If your having trouble keeping up, just politely ask them to play something a little less advanced.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
lol I wish my bandmembers knew more about theory than I did. I'm the big theory/gear buff, so all questions about that type of stuff are directed to me. You should feel lucky that you are playing with such experienced musicians. Let them know when you start that you are a good player (assuming that you are) but you don't know as much as they do. Keep your mind and ears open to when they are talking and you will probably learn a thing or two.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Dont worry. When i joined my band, i was the "bad" guitarist. Still am. And i get around just ok. I dont know as many songs as the other guy, and am not so good at soloing, but we can still shread it together during hey joe . Of course you have to know some theory, and be able to play a bit more than just smoke on the water intro. And maybe decide on a song or two for your first practice? I found it better than just randomly jamming, and after you get that one down (by no means perfect), and then see if you all know any songs that you might play. Also, you could sing, i was first intended to be the lead, but now i ended up singing and playing rhytm...
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Of course you have to know some theory, and be able to play a bit more than just smoke on the water intro. And maybe decide on a song or two for your first practice? I found it better than just randomly jamming, and after you get that one down (by no means perfect), and then see if you all know any songs that you might play. Also, you could sing, i was first intended to be the lead, but now i ended up singing and playing rhytm...

Yeah I know some theory luckily and I want to learn some more now that I'm not at college anymore.

I think we are going to make a list each of some songs for us to play to start with and see how we go from there, and all of us are going to try singing so maybe something like that will happen.

Thanks alot for the replies guys
Dakota Ruins
Metalcore/Hardcore from Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Please click on our name and check us out

My Stage Gear:
Cort Curbow 4
Ibanez SRX430
Hartke HA 3500 + Hartke 4.5XL
Line 6 G50 Wireless
If yoru lucky they're not arrogant due to them being advanced. But I asume they know yoru skill level right? So basicly they\ll probably just try to lift yoru skills while playing stuff simple yet interesting for themselves. After awhile you'll be jamming as smoothly as they were.

Also I want to say that most pieces are quite "simple" stuff you can actually learn with just practice. It's mostl the solo's where people go nuts, so just leave that to the rest of the guys if it's above your head.
Quote by The-Fiction
Hey guys!

I've just met some people and we all have really similiar tastes in music etc and have all decided to start a band together and our first practice is next week. I'll be on guitar along with another guitarist, bassist and drumer (no real singer yet but it's early days).

The only trouble is this is the first band I've been in and the other three all have a lot more experience playing music than me. (They all go to music college while I finished college last september and never did any proper music course), and they've been playing their instruments alot longer than me.

Because of this I'm getting quite nervous about how well I'm going to play at the practice... so was wondering, any advice I could use? And is the first practice generally expected not to go that well? Especially for newbies?

Thanks in advance guys

Just be prepaired to knuckle down and do a lot of work, these guys obviously know you have ability otherwise they wouldn't be putting a band together with you, so don't be nervous about it, but at the same time, don't be afraid to ask for help off any of them when you are struggling with something.
Eventualy, you'll pick stuff up off them and be on more of a level footing with them.
Look at it this way, all the lessons and music college and experience these guys have collectively, you're gonna be the recipient of all that knowledge, and it's gonna be absolutely free.