Do you think protests end up solving anything or actually make a difference? Better yet, do they need to be violent in order to establish change? My personal opinion is that the powers that control the airwaves and means of communication (the government) will always be in the position of higher power, and find a way to tip the scales in their favour. One thing I don't understand though, why do the few always control the masses? ie. a few riot police controlling 40,000 protesters?

All this election stuff got me thinking about politics.
no
it never is, they just hit you with tear gas, pepper spray, nightsticks, tazers and water cannpns until you leave
It depends.

A bunch of dirty hippies or idiots that just make a scene yelling and screaming won't.

Organized people who vote, inform and get their message out certainly can.
Quote by SenorSmiley
It depends.

A bunch of dirty hippies or idiots that just make a scene yelling and screaming won't.

+1.

Protests are pointless if they're dingy, unfocused, centralized on one group of people, or hap-hazardly thrown together.

Legislation and organized protest is the key to change.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yes, but ony if the protesters kill at least 50 cops.
this
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Right. Plus most of the idiots that show up yelling and screaming at protests are there for the sake of being an idiot and don't vote.

I live in Massachusetts. The gays here are organized and focused and managed to get the legislation through to marry. If they would have held a rally and yelled and screamed it wouldn't have happened. They used the channels and got what they wanted - to the dismay of many voters.

Look at how many hippies were anti-Vietnam - but Nixon got elected.
It usually sends a message more than it changes anything. However, the message can change things.
Creator of the Llamastack

Quote by SenorSmiley
It depends.

If only the hippie douches at my school would realize this.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by Commodity
It usually sends a message more than it changes anything. However, the message can change things.

yes, and also, the more people who are communicating the message, the more chances things will change

that is pretty much the entire point of protesting, you getting the message out, hopefully influencing more people to spread the message, and if the protest is one of substance, letting the people with power know you are there, what you have to say, and that it is what you truly believe and you can do no other
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
if they go large scale they can work

and police killing protesters is sometimes good.
e.g. the boston massacre was a huge propaganda tool
Whenever I see a group of loud, unwashed protesters I usually take the view that they are protesting against.

When someone is articulate and informed I always listen with an open mind.
Protesting does make a difference, but violence clouds your message.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Citizens are the reflection of government, and the same should be true the other way.

Therefore, yes, protests, when organized and followed through properly, are very effective.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by dannyniceboy
Protesting does make a difference, but violence clouds your message.

That depends on what your message. If your message for example is "let's bring down the goverment" I think attacking polic/government officials would reflect your message quite clearly.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
That depends on what your message. If your message for example is "let's bring down the goverment" I think attacking polic/government officials would reflect your message quite clearly.

That wouldn't be protesting it would be revolting. Protesting would be the first step.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by psychokandy
Do you think protests end up solving anything or actually make a difference? Better yet, do they need to be violent in order to establish change? My personal opinion is that the powers that control the airwaves and means of communication (the government) will always be in the position of higher power, and find a way to tip the scales in their favour. One thing I don't understand though, why do the few always control the masses? ie. a few riot police controlling 40,000 protesters?

Protests are really the only way to try and begin to change anything in a soceity like we live in ruled from the top (I live in the US just btw). You need to stand up for what you believe in, and show that you are dedicated to your protest, ie not letting the cops control you, use pepper gas, beat you and all that. Getting any media involved, even if a few people just bring video cameras, thats still a way to keep the cops from getting too brutal.

As for violence in protests, if you want to get something legitimately changed, like a law being made, than it has to be non violent and organized all the way, Ghandi, Rev Dr Martin Luther King, for example. But it reaches a point where its just too much to take it, and you need to do something drastic. Not saying you need to start a riot and kill a bunch of cops, but something to at least get you noticed, like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%ADch_Qu%E1%BA%A3ng_%C4%90%E1%BB%A9c. Not neccesarily violent, but still definitely got the point across.

But to actually answer your question, protests are good, but be sure to keep it organized, although at this point im so angry i could probably go start a riot
"To me it seems pretty straightforward. There are two opinions one can have about freedom of speech, you're for it or against it." - Tom Morello

Shackled Our Minds When You're Bent on the Cross... When Ignorance Reigns, Life is Lost
Quote by icaneatcatfood
I don't know, ask MLK.

Having a violent protest is what isn't effective.

You can't deny that the Nation of Islam and the black panthers didn't help the cause. Imo the violent black were the ones that got the law changed and the peaceful ones were the ones shown by history in order to put the cause in a good light.
Quote by dannyniceboy
That wouldn't be protesting it would be revolting. Protesting would be the first step.

Depends on the level of action I would think, if you only killed a few people I think it woud still be in the protest stage.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Think of the Russian revolution.

When they went out to protest peacefully, the czar gathered up his dragoons and they stampeded the streets and killed many of peaceful demonstrators.

So it really depends. Gov'ts like the Russian Gov't AT THE TIME!!! could only, and WOULD only be reigned in through force.

And ...obviously; it worked.
Protesting is useful for building awareness and nothing more. If not followed up with direct action after the support for said action is built up, nothing has been accomplished.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by psychokandy

In my opinion, protests can help raise peoples awareness more then solve problems. Of course protesting does help from time to time, as is recognized by the past. But, I think the people now have lost the tenacity to go out and muster up the courage to protest against the things that bother them, and would rather just stick it out until someone else changes it, or they die.

Also, I feel that violent protests are generally more effective them non-violent ones. My reason is because, believe it or not, the government is afraid of us. If you don't believe me, read about CoIntelPro.

However, I wish important topics could be changed through peaceful protesting, but really, how much can a peaceful protest accomplish?

"Give me you money!"

"I'd much rather not, I saw going to buy some cat food"

"Biatch!"

Annnnd there you have it folks.