so i have been learning songs and solos etc off tabs for a while, i just joined a band and realised i have ZERO theory.

I started by learning how to figure out the notes on guitar (a,a#,b,c) etc...

so now i would like to learn how to play diminished chords, 7th and 9th chords, minor chords.

and then vertical scales.

I havn't found any websites that explain these well for a noob with tabs and such, can anyone offer advice?
Last edited by Zeppelin_1223 at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by -themask-
thanks bro, i think ill skim through everything really quickly over say 2 days, then work on each step one at a time slowly.

anytime,
though that skim through stragegy may not work past level 4, if you're good.
I think he's designed the lessons to be slowly absorbed the first time, but you and I are different, so whatever works for you
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
anytime,
though that skim through stragegy may not work past level 4, if you're good.
I think he's designed the lessons to be slowly absorbed the first time, but you and I are different, so whatever works for you

thanks, how would you recommend abosorbing it then?

right now i'm working on the whole
a-a# is the minor second
a-b is the major second
a-c is the minor third
a-c# is major third

etc...

would you suggest this as a day to day thing, or week to week or what?

(for example, work on these for a week then begin part 3?)
Quote by -themask-
thanks, how would you recommend abosorbing it then?

right now i'm working on the whole
a-a# is the minor second
a-b is the major second
a-c is the minor third
a-c# is major third

etc...

would you suggest this as a day to day thing, or week to week or what?

(for example, work on these for a week then begin part 3?)

Oh, the "simple" beginning stuff, if you can whip through it, and be sure you won't forget it, then go for it. But once you get to the harder stuff, I think you should spend at least 3 days working on each new topic. Write scales down wherever you can, build chords from anything that pops into your mind. Just make sure you're ready, and you have a good understanding of the topic before you start a new lesson, cause it just keeps building as you go.
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
Oh, the "simple" beginning stuff, if you can whip through it, and be sure you won't forget it, then go for it. But once you get to the harder stuff, I think you should spend at least 3 days working on each new topic. Write scales down wherever you can, build chords from anything that pops into your mind. Just make sure you're ready, and you have a good understanding of the topic before you start a new lesson, cause it just keeps building as you go.

thanks, just a question.

i'm on the part where it says for example builing a diminshed chord is a minor 3rd+ a minor 3rd

so let's say we have a D as our root note, F would be the second note, and G# would be the third note.

This is a D diminished chord, does this mean i can take those 3 notes and completely jumble them up and it would still be a D diminished chord?

(i'm also trying to learn all the notes on the strings so....)

does it have to be in descending order? like D has to be the lowest note, F has to be second lowest, and G# has to be third lowest?

So to make my actuall chord, or arpeggio, i could take ANY d,or f, or g# note on the guitar that i want and just make sure they are in descending order and it would still be a d diminished chord?

HELP!
Quote by -themask-
thanks, just a question.

i'm on the part where it says for example builing a diminshed chord is a minor 3rd+ a minor 3rd

so let's say we have a D as our root note, F would be the second note, and G# would be the third note.

This is a D diminished chord, does this mean i can take those 3 notes and completely jumble them up and it would still be a D diminished chord?

(i'm also trying to learn all the notes on the strings so....)

does it have to be in descending order? like D has to be the lowest note, F has to be second lowest, and G# has to be third lowest?

So to make my actuall chord, or arpeggio, i could take ANY d,or f, or g# note on the guitar that i want and just make sure they are in descending order and it would still be a d diminished chord?

HELP!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been rather busy lately.
It's been a while since I studied theory (I'm going to be going back into it soon), but I think that it DOES have to be in desending order. If you're making a D diminished chord, I believe that D must be on the lowest string (root note/string). So for your arpeggios and such, (which can repeat the notes), it would be, for example:
D F G# D F G#
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
Sorry for the late reply, I've been rather busy lately.
It's been a while since I studied theory (I'm going to be going back into it soon), but I think that it DOES have to be in desending order. If you're making a D diminished chord, I believe that D must be on the lowest string (root note/string). So for your arpeggios and such, (which can repeat the notes), it would be, for example:
D F G# D F G#

np bro i was just hoping the thread wasnt dead or something. does only d needa be the lowest? or do the others need to follow in descending aswell?

i was just wondering cuz then there'd be MANY possible ways to do a d diminished chord-like if you could take any d (even if you had to do descending order) and any of the other notes, there's many ways to play the chord?
Quote by -themask-
np bro i was just hoping the thread wasnt dead or something. does only d needa be the lowest? or do the others need to follow in descending aswell?

i was just wondering cuz then there'd be MANY possible ways to do a d diminished chord-like if you could take any d (even if you had to do descending order) and any of the other notes, there's many ways to play the chord?

Well, there are many ways to play lots of chords, and loads of ways using the CAGED system (google if you're curious). but I'm not sure how to totally answer your question. Maybe try the Musician Talk forum?