Page 1 of 2
My gear is a fender frontman 10G and en ESP EX-50. What move should I make next?Amp upgrade? Upgrade my guitar? I've been playing since this summer(not very long) and i dont want to slow myself down with a dumb decision because im kinda strapped for cash after this big purchase. I play metal and hard rock...mostly metal though. please give detailed explanations about what you would do and the gear you would get

so far im thinking if i upgrade my axe id get EMG 81 85's or dual dimebuckers and if i get an amp im thinking a spider 3 75w 2x12.

Thanks for helping be save bucks
First, search bar the fallowing:
Emg
Dimebucker
Spider 3
....if your town lazy I will give you the run down.

EMG's, meant for tube amps and to add more gain
Dimebucker, muddy, thin and very trebley pick ups. Dimebag never used them
Spider 3, just no, for the price you can get a much better amp that doesn't have a lot of trebley mess to it
____
how much money do you have to spend on new gear?
I think he is playing metal. But if i were you, id save your cash, for a better amp. A spider III wont cut it. I suggest getting around $400-600 to start with, for the amp atleast. Maybe used if you want more out of your cash.

Do not get a Marshall MG or a Spider, you will regret it.
New amp probably. New pickups won't do much good with that amp.
Just stay away from Marshall MG's and Spiders (and their other counterparts), and you should be fine. Unless you try squeezing metal out of a Champ 600, which wouldn't work well.
Since I don't know your budget, I can't recommend anything for you quite yet.

Also, on a side note. It's good to be back!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Just stay away from Marshall MG's and Spiders (and their other counterparts), and you should be fine. Unless you try squeezing metal out of a Champ 600, which wouldn't work well.

+1,000,000

Listen to this man.

He's Back! LOL

we missed you Dark!

im not gigging but i have intentions to. i am a metal guy and i am completely lost on what amp to buy seeing as how pups are a bad idea right now. i've done plenty of research and read forums but like i said im pretty much a newb teaching myself to play so all this stuff is like spanish to me
How much money do you have to spend? We have no idea what to recommend you unless we know what you can spend.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yup, I'm definitely glad to be back!

What will be your budget for buying a new amp? We can recommend you some options from there.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
id like to spend $400 to $600 but if a little more cash will get me alot more quality i guess i can bite the bullet. BTW im american(for currency purposes). now that its pretty much set in stone that an amp should be my next move should i get go for versatility or just buy pedals?
An amp should definitely be your next move. I'd look into a Randall RG50TC or perhaps one of those Bugeras.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
An amp should definitely be your next move. I'd look into a Randall RG50TC or perhaps one of those Bugeras.

+1
Also, check out a used 5150 and a B52 AT-112
Quote by darkarbiter7

where can i find a bugera? im looking on guitarcenter and musiciansfriend and they dont carry them
Quote by darkarbiter7

Oh gawd how I missed you Dark.

So many noobs overrunning the place in your absence.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
Oh gawd how I missed you Dark.

So many noobs overrunning the place in your absence.

You were a newb once too, if you dont want to help me out than leave but i didnt think and opinion was too much to ask for
Lol, I'll help keep the noob population low .

Anyways, check out samash or privately owned stores for bugeras.

^Hey TS, I don't think he was referring to you as a newbie.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Tell us your closest major city and we'll find you an amp to at least go check out on craigslist.

Valveking is pretty versatile and take pedals well. $450 new if you get a much needed Overdrive pedal.

otherwise, +1 to that Randall, B52 and used 5150 or Krank Rev. A Vypyr might work for you if you like all the built in pre-sets. I for one do not, but some people say they are great solid state modelers for Metal.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Tell us your closest major city and we'll find you an amp to at least go check out on craigslist.

Valveking is pretty versatile and take pedals well. $450 new if you get a much needed Overdrive pedal.

otherwise, +1 to that Randall, B52 and used 5150 or Krank Rev. A Vypyr might work for you if you like all the built in pre-sets. I for one do not, but some people say they are great solid state modelers for Metal.

Green Bay, WI

when you say 5150 you mean the peavey 5150 combo?
Last edited by JTreml95 at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by JTreml95
You were a newb once too, if you dont want to help me out than leave but i didnt think and opinion was too much to ask for

Don't worry. SSL27 wasn't talking to you specifically. It was more of an inside joke. Darkarbiter has been gone for a while on sabatical. Plus, you wrote a good thread minus the no budget thing.

Quote by darkarbiter7
Lol, I'll help keep the noob population low .

Anyways, check out samash or privately owned stores for bugeras.

^Hey TS, I don't think he was referring to you as a newbie.

if he did it doesnt bother me its just frustrating picking all this stuff up and its a F ton of money to throw away on a mistake you know?
I saw some nice amps but maybe not for metal. Go Packers!

hold tight, and keep your eye on craigslist, have you ever seen/used that?

find you city, click on Musical Inst under For Sale, then type in 'Amp'

Edit: there are some nice Fender amps and a Peavey 6505+ but it was $850 and probably just the tube amp head with no speakers.

No worries, we all have to start somewhere and I can guarantee you we've all made mistakes. That's why we have UG. Welcome.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by JTreml95
if he did it doesnt bother me its just frustrating picking all this stuff up and its a F ton of money to throw away on a mistake you know?

Yeah, sorry mate, I didn't mean you at all.

I was mostly talking about the noobs running around giving advice about stuff they don't know jack-sh*t about. Which is why I'm glad Dark is back, because with him here there will be even less of an opportunity for the noobs to give bad advice because there's a better chance that someone who knows what they're on about will beat them to it.

If you follow that. I'm afraid I may have slightly confused myself.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
^Basically DA is a silent noob slaying ninja.

I second everyone's recs so far, all should work good for you, definitely lay low and try to find a deal on CL.

I'll toss the f-30 and dc series mesas into the mix as well, great for metal and amazing cleans to boot. If you have a chance to try one, don't pass it up.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I saw some nice amps but maybe not for metal. Go Packers!

hold tight, and keep your eye on craigslist, have you ever seen/used that?

find you city, click on Musical Inst under For Sale, then type in 'Amp'

Edit: there are some nice Fender amps and a Peavey 6505+ but it was $850 and probably just the tube amp head with no speakers.

No worries, we all have to start somewhere and I can guarantee you we've all made mistakes. That's why we have UG. Welcome.

like i said im not even mad justy frustrated.....didnt know buying an amp was this difficult
It may seem difficult, but you have to realize it's the most important part of your tone.
Quote by Kevin Saale
It may seem difficult, but you have to realize it's the most important part of your tone.

I learned that the hard way with my 10G but i guess you have to start somewhere
Quote by SSL27
Yeah, sorry mate, I didn't mean you at all.

I was mostly talking about the noobs running around giving advice about stuff they don't know jack-sh*t about. Which is why I'm glad Dark is back, because with him here there will be even less of an opportunity for the noobs to give bad advice because there's a better chance that someone who knows what they're on about will beat them to it.

If you follow that. I'm afraid I may have slightly confused myself.

i got you my bad.

why do people seem to hate the spider 3's? they all have good ratings on websites
Because they sound bad, break, and better can be gotten for the same price. It just goes to show you can't trust those reviews. You can't expect a site trying to sell a product to show bad reviews for said product.
i just want to sound metal i dont know whether that means tube or combo amp. no one really answered that for me but it could go either way. sorry for the trouble by the way.....explaining this stuff to me is like teaching a blind kid to read
For cheap, you can get a Cube 60 or Vypyr 30. They are good for metal IMO. You could also try a smaller tube amp with a metal muff. This will be more pedal tone than amp tone, but I think that...

Digital modelling through SS poweramp<analog distortion through tube amp.

That is just my opinion. You should possibly try out a Fender Superchamp XD too.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
For cheap, you can get a Cube 60 or Vypyr 30. They are good for metal IMO. You could also try a smaller tube amp with a metal muff. This will be more pedal tone than amp tone, but I think that...

That is just my opinion. You should possibly try out a Fender Superchamp XD too.

i wont sleep until i figure out which metallica song that is
Quote by acdcrocks0323

+1

Go check out the Vypyr while your checking out some of that other stuff. I really couldn't find much in your price range on Craigslist but keep checking. BTW - do you know where Brown Deer is? Town.

This might be cool to check out if it's not too far.

Genz Benz solid state amp $450
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/868751402.html
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

Go check out the Vypyr while your checking out some of that other stuff. I really couldn't find much in your price range on Craigslist but keep checking. BTW - do you know where Brown Deer is? Town.

This might be cool to check out if it's not too far.

Genz Benz solid state amp $450
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/868751402.html

i have no idea it sounds like northern wisco though, gb is in the middle and i go to school by madison and milwaukee
Page 1 of 2