Fairly stupid question:

I've got a homemade swamp ash strat with a USA Custom Guitars maple neck bolted on. I just got it finished, and I was planning on putting some heavier strings on it. However, the guy at the local music shop accidently put some 10s on it while he was looking over a problem I was having with a pickup. I want to switch to 13s, is my neck going to take that? I'll obviously have to adjust the truss rod and I'm fine with that, but do I need to worry about anything serious happening?
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
what tuning are you gonna be in?
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by burn the stars
why the hell do you need 13s? i play drop c/b on a guitar with a fr and im only using 10s

prefrence. I play in e flat using 12's.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
you guys must not know that much about SRV.

having the same string gauge will not make you sounds like SRV. sorry bud. better to practice on lighter strings and work your way up.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by Sakattack75
what tuning are you gonna be in?

Eb Standard.

Quote by burn the stars
why the hell do you need 13s? i play drop c/b on a guitar with a fr and im only using 10s

Tone, my friend. I play a Jackson with an fr in B standard with 13s but I'd like something heavier, they're just too loose and I can't move as fast as I'd like to. I just like heavy strings.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Why would it hurt your neck? The heavier strings don't really weigh much more. Maybe you should stretch out your neck muscles before you play, just to avoid any strain.

Just Kidding

Your neck shouldn't have any problems with the strings, you'll probably have to adjust your truss rod though.
You'll need to adjust your neck, and I suggest buying a pack of 11's, 12's, then 13's and gradually move up. Give each set of strings a week on your guitar to let the neck settle. Basically just don't make that big of a jump and keep the same tuning. You may also want to get more springs for your vibrato tailpiece (if you have one), as to avoid it being ripped out of your guitar .

*Wait's for newb to quote me and say "Hehe it's a TREMOLO you idiot! LOLZORZZ!" No. You're wrong.
Quote by muse-ik
having the same string gauge will not make you sounds like SRV. sorry bud. better to practice on lighter strings and work your way up.

Don't be an ass. I've been playing for 5-6 years and I know my shit. I've got a decent blues tone down with my amp's eq and my new guitar, but it's just not rich enough. Heavier strings will help.
Quote by Powerhouse
Quote by s24476
Why would it hurt your neck? The heavier strings don't really weigh much more. Maybe you should stretch out your neck muscles before you play, just to avoid any strain.

Just Kidding

Your neck shouldn't have any problems with the strings, you'll probably have to adjust your truss rod though.

I was facepalming.

Adjust your truss rod.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by edusty2010
You'll need to adjust your neck, and I suggest buying a pack of 11's, 12's, then 13's and gradually move up. Give each set of strings a week on your guitar to let the neck settle. Basically just don't make that big of a jump and keep the same tuning. You may also want to get more springs for your vibrato tailpiece (if you have one), as to avoid it being ripped out of your guitar .

*Wait's for newb to quote me and say "Hehe it's a TREMOLO you idiot! LOLZORZZ!" No. You're wrong.

Lawlz.

It's actually both. Just depends. Like, With FR's, if you get a floyd rose double locking TREM system, then I mean, you can call it a trem, and not a vibrato and it's not wrong, so technically a noob could quote you and tell you it's called a trem, and they aren't necessarily wrong, just not all the way right,

btw, the only reason I typed all this is cause I'm baked, and bored.
Quote by ledzepprules09
Lawlz.

It's actually both. Just depends. Like, With FR's, if you get a floyd rose double locking TREM system, then I mean, you can call it a trem, and not a vibrato and it's not wrong, so technically a noob could quote you and tell you it's called a trem, and they aren't necessarily wrong, just not all the way right,

btw, the only reason I typed all this is cause I'm baked, and bored.

True, but you're still technically wrong lol, DAMN THAT LEO FENDER FOR NOT CALLING IT A VIBRATO!!!

And share the love man
Quote by muse-ik

thats not what im saying. people were asking why you would use 13s. SRV used them as well, just saying.