okay, so i'm looking for a new guitar.

i was wondering if i should go for the gibson or the epiphone? I play lots of classic rock, and ijam with friends every now and then, but i dont do any serious gigging. All i really do is play in my free time for fun mostly. I know gibson quality and all that is amazing, but i'm not a profesional and don't have all that much money, and i hear epiphones are almost as good as gibsons, just lacking a bit in quality.

so which should i go with?
Gear:

Gibson SG Special
Fender MIM Standard Strat (SSS)
Squire Bullet Strat
Marshall 6100LM
Vox DA5
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
I do the same thing as you and the epiphone is great for me. Just make sure you get a good one like a standard, custom, ultra.
ZoSO rocks!
well, i have an epi les paul standard, and its basically love. the pickups soud pretty nice, and its built pretty well from what i can tell, and ive had it for almost a year. just buy a good quality one.
why not expand a bit from the two?
go try an esp or schecter or something
there all nice too, better than epiphone
i just got a Gibson Explorer and its amazing. i mean the epiphones are good but the gibsons have that extra bit of, how can i say it...awesomness. like quality is real nice and the over all feel of the guitar is just incredible. I pretty much just play by myself too
-Why do hunters need bullets that can pierce through bulletproof vests?
-Do I really have to spell this out for you?What if a bunch of punk kids go into the woods and strap a bulletproof vest on a bear?Then whatve you got?Invincible bears (wkuk)
my friend got a LP custom and put gibson 57s pick ups and tuners on it, sounds damn close to a gibson
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
Quote by wayne4433
i just got a Gibson Explorer and its amazing. i mean the epiphones are good but the gibsons have that extra bit of, how can i say it...awesomness. like quality is real nice and the over all feel of the guitar is just incredible. I pretty much just play by myself too

so you think a gibson is really worth the extra 200-300 dollars?

i assume they will last much longer than an epi too.
Gear:

Gibson SG Special
Squire Bullet Strat
Marshall 6100LM
Vox DA5
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Quote by Lopez72

Depends what guitars your looking at. Wha type of guitar were you looking for? Les paul, flying V, SG, explorer? For lespauls' epi will come closer and SG's as well as epiphone makes some higher quality versions but their V and explorer are closer to 500$ where your looking at about 950-1150 for the gibson version.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Lopez72

If you have the money and your comfortable with paying more its really great. the store i take lessons at sells a bunch of epiphones that i get to play before and during my lessons if i want but they dont have gibsons. So when i went to the Guitar Center about an hour away to try some they were definitely a step up. what models are you thinking of.
-Do I really have to spell this out for you?What if a bunch of punk kids go into the woods and strap a bulletproof vest on a bear?Then whatve you got?Invincible bears (wkuk)
Some Epiphones are really good and some suck. I have an Epi Explorer and a Gibson Flying V and they both play great. Epiphones with pickup upgrades can sound really close if not equal to (maybe better than) a Gibson but by the time you pay for upgrades you might as well buy a Gibson to start with.
I am looking for an SG. its been my dream guitar since i was like 10.

would a good Epi SG be better than the low end Gibson SG Special Faded? or is the gibson still better?
Gear:

Gibson SG Special
Squire Bullet Strat
Marshall 6100LM
Vox DA5
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Quote by Lopez72

would a good Epi SG be better than the low end Gibson SG Special Faded? or is the gibson still better?

They used to make an elitist SG at epiphone but epiphone no longer makes elitist guitars. The best higher quality SG's from epiphone are 2 new models they came out with this year. One comes with emgs and the other coems with gibson dirty finger pickups. They are aimed at the higher gain audience though. Since Faded SG specials are no longer made that might be tricky. If I were you id take a look for a used gibson SG and you will find loads of them from places like GC or other used sites.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Lopez72

I bought a Gibson SG Special off ebay a couple years ago and i was kind of disappointed cause my Ibanez artist is better. but im not sure how the Standard SGs are and i really wanna know if there alot better. My advice is to try out the guitars before you buy them instead of just getting it off the internet
Quote by Slanderous666
They used to make an elitist SG at epiphone but epiphone no longer makes elitist guitars. The best higher quality SG's from epiphone are 2 new models they came out with this year. One comes with emgs and the other coems with gibson dirty finger pickups. They are aimed at the higher gain audience though. Since Faded SG specials are no longer made that might be tricky. If I were you id take a look for a used gibson SG and you will find loads of them from places like GC or other used sites.

Gibson SG Specials are still being made... although they did go up in price. New, they go around for $830USD.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by wayne4433
I bought a Gibson SG Special off ebay a couple years ago and i was kind of disappointed cause my Ibanez artist is better. but im not sure how the Standard SGs are and i really wanna know if there alot better. My advice is to try out the guitars before you buy them instead of just getting it off the internet

i will definately try them, i just wanted some user input because the closest place to me that sells gibsons and epi's is a GC thats almost 2 hours away so i don't get to try them much.
Gear:

Gibson SG Special
Squire Bullet Strat
Marshall 6100LM
Vox DA5
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Quote by Lopez72
i will definately try them, i just wanted some user input because the closest place to me that sells gibsons and epi's is a GC thats almost 2 hours away so i don't get to try them much.

I have that same situation. I'm sorry i couldn't tell you the comparison of the Gibson SG Special and the Epiphone SG cause ive never played or seen the Epiphone version. What guitar do you have now?
Yeah. I'm looking at a Gibson LP Classic and an Epi LP Custom, and can't decide between the two.
Gibson makes a faded SG Special that goes for around $700 USD, never played one but it sounds like a steal
Quote by Raxef
Yeah. I'm looking at a Gibson LP Classic and an Epi LP Custom, and can't decide between the two.

The Gibson deffinatelly plays better but its probably a lot more expensive isnt it
Quote by wayne4433
I have that same situation. I'm sorry i couldn't tell you the comparison of the Gibson SG Special and the Epiphone SG cause ive never played or seen the Epiphone version. What guitar do you have now?

A Squire Strat. not one of the new crappy ones that are massed produced and have no quality at all. its Actually a very decent guitar, but i just can't get that rock and roll sound that i want out of a strat. it's more bluesy and country sounding. I Am looking for a guitar with a heavier sound, like AC/DC, or Zeppelin, or Van Halen, or Rise Against.

And i was wondering about the epi, because epi is to gibson what squire is to fender, and i know most squire models are total wastes of money that only last for like 3 months.

And my next guitar purchase will probably be my last for a while and i wanted to make sure it was something that would suit me in the long run.
Gear:

Gibson SG Special
Squire Bullet Strat
Marshall 6100LM
Vox DA5
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Quote by Lopez72
A Squire Strat. not one of the new crappy ones that are massed produced and have no quality at all. its Actually a very decent guitar, but i just can't get that rock and roll sound that i want out of a strat. it's more bluesy and country sounding. I Am looking for a guitar with a heavier sound, like AC/DC, or Zeppelin, or Van Halen, or Rise Against.And i was wondering about the epi, because epi is to gibson what squire is to fender, and i know most squire models are total wastes of money that only last for like 3 months.

I havent played to many squires but i think that the epiphones are closer to gibsons than the squires to strats but i guess it depends on the guitar. But what I actually really like are the Gibson Melody Makers. there only like 400 and really simple with one single coil but its got this kind of like..spank to it that is really good. Normally I only like guitars alot if there the real expensive ones i cant afford , but im thinking of getting this one and putting in a humbucker that fits in. if your set on an SG you can just forget all that, it might be too simple for what you want anyways.

EDIT: there are some semi hollow squire telecastors i did like though
Last edited by wayne4433 at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by wayne4433
The Gibson deffinatelly plays better but its probably a lot more expensive isnt it

yes. the epi runs about 700-800, gibson about 1800
Yea, get the Epi, im gonna get one as my #2
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
If you only play for a bit of fun, no use forking out thousands for a Gibson.
Grab yourself a decent Epiphone, and in time you can swap out the pickups and tuners and what not. Once you've done that, you'll have a fantastic guitar.
I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom a week or so ago, and it plays fantastically. I also own a Gibson (Explorer Pro), and it's fantastic too. The whole Gibson vs Epiphone thing is crazy.
No matter how much you do up an Epiphone, it'll still be made of slightly inferior woods and whatnot.
The construction will never be as good either.
BUT

Once you've swapped out the pickups and tuners and stuff, you have a very nice guitar. They sound and play great. Then you just have to think to yourself: "I spent $1200 in total on this guitar, and it plays almost as well as it's $3000 Gibson counterpart. Is it worth $1800 just to have the name and a tiny bit better quality?"

Basically, go the Epiphone, unless you really wanna spoil yourself with a guitar you can keep forever.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
If you only play for a bit of fun, no use forking out thousands for a Gibson.
Grab yourself a decent Epiphone, and in time you can swap out the pickups and tuners and what not. Once you've done that, you'll have a fantastic guitar.
I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom a week or so ago, and it plays fantastically. I also own a Gibson (Explorer Pro), and it's fantastic too. The whole Gibson vs Epiphone thing is crazy.
No matter how much you do up an Epiphone, it'll still be made of slightly inferior woods and whatnot.
The construction will never be as good either.
BUT

Once you've swapped out the pickups and tuners and stuff, you have a very nice guitar. They sound and play great. Then you just have to think to yourself: "I spent $1200 in total on this guitar, and it plays almost as well as it's $3000 Gibson counterpart. Is it worth $1800 just to have the name and a tiny bit better quality?"

Basically, go the Epiphone, unless you really wanna spoil yourself with a guitar you can keep forever.

+infinity

What's your budget?

On Epiphones you can get the:

Flying V Korina: (500$)
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_1958%20Korina%20Flying%20V%20Electric%20Guitar_-1_10052_10002_437076

Les Paul Standard: (500$)
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Les%20Paul%20Standard%20Electric%20Guitar_-1_10052_10002_437091_cmCategorySA-10001

Les Paul Standard Plus: (650$)
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Les%20Paul%20Standard%20Plus%20Electric%20Guitar%20Assorted%20Colors_-1_10052_10002_183645_cmCategorySA-10001

Zakk Wylde's Sig: (850$)
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Zakk%20Wylde%20Les%20Paul%20Custom%20Electric%20Guitar%20Bullseye_-1_10052_10002_-49980595_cmCategorySA-10001

Les Paul SilverCustom: (700$)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom?sku=519391

Les Paul Elitist Standard Plus: (1,150$)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Electric-Guitar?sku=518401

I personally own the last one and its truly amazing but they're all good guitars. V with new picks is really nice and the Zakk Wylde steals so much attention and who doesn't like it to be honest? The Silver Custom looks very nice also. Depends on your budget and what you like best. If I was to recommend one, I'd say the Zakk one and swap the pickups or something but that's my opinion.

Hope this helped you. ^^
If you need to ask Epi or Gibson then you shouldn't be getting a Gibbo...
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
FIRST OF ALL:
what is your current amp?
if you're playing out of a squeer practice amp an epiphone wont sound much different than your strat.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by Lopez72
A Squire Strat. not one of the new crappy ones that are massed produced and have no quality at all. its Actually a very decent guitar, but i just can't get that rock and roll sound that i want out of a strat. it's more bluesy and country sounding. I Am looking for a guitar with a heavier sound, like AC/DC, or Zeppelin, or Van Halen, or Rise Against.

And i was wondering about the epi, because epi is to gibson what squire is to fender, and i know most squire models are total wastes of money that only last for like 3 months.

And my next guitar purchase will probably be my last for a while and i wanted to make sure it was something that would suit me in the long run.

im sorry but no. just no. squires are aboslute arse compared to fenders. epiphones arnt that bad at all for the price. close to gibson quality
Quote by maiden_mexico
FIRST OF ALL:
what is your current amp?
if you're playing out of a squeer practice amp an epiphone wont sound much different than your strat.

I'm playing through a VOX ADVT15, or something like that.

And to RR787, thank you for your input it was very helpful, and my budget is $600 US
Gear:

Gibson SG Special
Squire Bullet Strat
Marshall 6100LM
Vox DA5
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
If you don't have the money, Epiphone is the way to go. It's pretty decent quality, but not like the Gibson. However, if you're on a budget, but still wanna jam, then you gotta pick the Epiphone. I just suggest that you buy it directly from a walk-in store, rather than online, because Epiphone tends to have some defects, and its best to test it out at the store.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
How about a Humbucker in the bridge pos. of your strat?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
How about a Humbucker in the bridge pos. of your strat?

my friend did exactly that.

i didn't really like the sound. plus i'm a noob at wiring and what not
Gear:

Gibson SG Special
Squire Bullet Strat
Marshall 6100LM
Vox DA5
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Agile.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66