Page 1 of 2
didnt find one
anyone listen to this far out thrash metal act from good ol' Canada?
Quote by mitchells_mom
I totally agree with LegionsOfDeath

Quote by Ovenman
Photoshop is for n00bs. Real men use MS paint.

tr00f
I don't think I've ever gone past Nothingface but this band has had an amazing influence on Canadian metal
im huge fan of theirs
their pink floyd covers are pretty amazing also
Quote by mitchells_mom
I totally agree with LegionsOfDeath

Quote by Ovenman
Photoshop is for n00bs. Real men use MS paint.

tr00f
The only song I've heard is 'We Carry On' but it is ****ing sweet. Can't really say if that's representative of their style or not, though. Any Recommendations?
Massive bump for a legendary band.

Voivod are one of my favorite bands, my parents have Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross on vinyl, so I've known them for a long, long time now.

Very sad that the first article I ever read about Voivod was the one in which I read Piggy died. May he rest in peace.

I wouldn't know where to start, but I personally started with Killing Technology, but it isn't as progressive as it's succesors, so just look up some tracks on the web and see what you like best.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb Combo
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Tons of Green Tortex picks
Lots of other crap...
A sorely underrated band. Piggy's guitar playing clearly influenced countless prog and tech bands.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
looked em up right now, and first impressions really good, I like it!
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Voivod freakin rock. I loved their very last record, just called "Voivod" - didn't Newsted play on that one? "Angel Rat" also rules.
Never heard Voivod but "Canadian Metal, **** Yeah!"
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
Their song "Black City" is great...
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by tinyterror
Voivod freakin rock. I loved their very last record, just called "Voivod" - didn't Newsted play on that one? "Angel Rat" also rules.

He also played on Katorz, their latest album, but they have another one coming out sometime, consisting of music they got off Piggy's laptop before he died. I once read an interview with Blacky I think, very emotional, Piggy handed over the laptop with his last riffs and a couple of days later he was gone.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Lots of other crap...
Such a shame that piggy died

I would've loved to meet or just read new interviews of the genius who made the riffs of Killing Technology and Nothingface.

We need to overpower "RIP Dimebag" with "RIP Piggy"
Killing Technology is godlike......nothing like that album.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Great band! I actually woke up this morning and decided to listen to Nothingface again.
I like how Piggy played so untheoretical and so creative. He had great musical ideas.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
No, but they're next album will probably be their last, since Piggy wrote most of it before he died.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Pity the newer stuff sucks so badly....
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Newer stuff is good, your musical taste is facked.
I'm not familiar with their 90's stuff, but Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross are incredibly original and awesome. Their last two took a while to click, but I've grown to like those, especially the S/T.
I completely forgot they had new stuff out.

I must say though... I never really appreciated how much Daniel Mongraine was influenced by Piggy until I listened to Killing Technology today.
What's your favorite song?
Mine is probably Nuclear War or Astronomy Domine
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Quote by 08L1V10N
What's your favorite song?
Mine is probably Nuclear War or Astronomy Domine

we are connected...

*beep*

Jeff Waters, Devin Townsend and Piggy should've had their own Canadian G3.
Quote by lukeylynch
we are connected...

*beep*

???
Quote by razorback91

I think you can start with any besides Rrroooaaarrrr!
Quote by razorback91

Nothingface for their weird side, Killing Technology for their thrashier side.
Dimension Hatross for between
Quote by razorback91

Dimension Hatross, out of the puny selection of Voivod releases I own, is probably a good starting point......cant NOT like those songs.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by webbtje
Where should one start with Voivod, gentlemen?

Yeah I'd either go with Domination Hatross or Killing Technology.

Domination simply for the brilliance that is the song Brain Scan.
From what I hear, the new album would be a bad start, as from the previews it sounds fairly horrible. Sorry for any controversy.
No, dont be sorry, as anything from past 1993ish is fairly muck, to my ears anyway.....
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Any thoughts about Infini?

I like it a lot more than Katorz or their self-titled, that's for sure! It just clicks better with me.

And Killing Technology.. Damn, this is the second time in 24 hours I'm listening to that album. Got it on vinyl even and own the shirt. Could say I'm a bit of a Killing Technology fanboy.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Lots of other crap...
Page 1 of 2