i mean, i COULD play with out it, but it sounds drier than the Gobi Desert. whether clean or distorted i seem to have to have reverb on the clean, or slight delay (because the onboard reverb doesn't do anything on the gain channel) on the distorted signal.
i've heard other players sound phenomenal without either, but listening to myself play without it, ugh.
i don't use any other effects otherwise. for some reason my vox wah doesn't work with my setup, but then it may need a new battery.
I played with very little delay today, and thought it sounded pretty good distorted. Can't notice the reverb though on my amp.
Depends on what room I'm in. I've never used a delay live (I find them more of a pain in the ass than they're worth) and I use a bit of reverb whenever I'm outdoors or in an extremely dry room.
I defiantly can't play clean with out reverb, but my dirty signal is usually dry or as just a touch of verb. Delay on the other hand is only used to add color.
Isn't using reverb cheating? An artificial effect to hide mistakes and such, when you can get real reverb by just playing in a large place like a city hall or something.

I dunno, but I guess Distortion and Wah and that stuff also covers up as well. Im guilty
i only use my delay VERY lightly when i'm in distortion-mode.
doing without reverb/delay, its like a slice of pizza without the mozzarella
Quote by Superstrat101
Isn't using reverb cheating? An artificial effect to hide mistakes and such, when you can get real reverb by just playing in a large place like a city hall or something.

I dunno, but I guess Distortion and Wah and that stuff also covers up as well. Im guilty

distortion shows more the mistakes i make...
also the delay...
and reverb...well i don't really use it, just when recording i add a bit of reverb.

but oh well...i've never used a wah before...well an automatic one but that doesn't count.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by Superstrat101

well, i only play in my apartment. and i've also found that playing in distortion-mode (i play in clean-mode too) actually BRINGS OUT more of my flaws in my fretting-hand and my picking hand.
more than half of my bass riffs are made with a bit o delay. it just adds a whole nother atmosphere.
Quote by Superstrat101

...reverb shows mistakes more than it hides them.

and your not going to play in a city hall to record an album.
i love reverb to me it just adds depth and warmth.
Reverb is my saving grace when I'm tone searching. I use a stereo memory man with hazari for my delay and set it to about 300 ms on the modulation mode. I use that with 2 TS808s for my "Eric Johnson" tone and I can pull it off pretty well. The delay just makes everything seem fuller. Spring reverb is where it's at in terms of the reverbs though. Reverb pedals just can't cut it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by stratdud39

Randy Rhoads turned his amp up a staircase to get reverb. Theres usually ways around things.

Anyway, I dunno. Maybe I just play better with reverb on or all you guys are lying to me.
Quote by Superstrat101
Randy Rhoads turned his amp up a staircase to get reverb. Theres usually ways around things.

Anyway, I dunno. Maybe I just play better with reverb on or all you guys are lying to me.

John Bonham recorded the drums for When the Levee Breaks at the bottom of a winding staircase and put the mics at the top. I thought you should know.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I gotta agree, reverb, flange, chorus, distortion all hide mistakes. I'd say repeating delay shows mistakes since you hear it over, and over, and over, and over.

That being said, nothing beats the tube driven verb on a deluxe reverb, absolute sex.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by stratdud39

Exactly.

When I use to play in metal bands with the gain turned up I thought I had perfect technique. However, once I moved on from metal, and started playing jazz and blues, I really learned how sloppy of a player I was. Playing clean really helped improve my guitar playing.
I love reverb personally, but not a ton of it. I find that most "pretty good" tones become great with a splash of 'verb
I never use delay, I always use rever, but could get by without if i had to.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I never use reverb. And I seldom use delay. If you NEED them to like your sound, then you are probably playing really sloppy.
I can't play without reverb. I just can't. It doesn't sound right to me- it fills in the sound. Otherwise, my guitar just sounds empty, especially when playing alone. I don't drench my guitar in reverb. I don't use delay often, either. But the stuff that I play, like Van Halen, can't go without reverb. And it just makes it more lively to have reverb. With regard to delay, I just suck at setting it up good. Sometimes I find a good setting for it, but most of the time I just don't know how to dial in good delay.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
I use slight reverb around 2-3. I use it to give it just some ambience.

Also, I tried using delay, but cant make it work. I mean I put the delay on, but to me it just sounds annoying. I play mostly Jefferson Airplane, David Bowie, 60-80's, jazz, folk, and country.

I cant make it work. Some say you have to know how to use it. I guess I'm just not a delay person.

IDK
Last edited by neptune1988 at Oct 14, 2008,