I found a set with 3 toms, a bass, snare, hi hat, and one cymbal for sale for 50 bucks. In the picture it looks used to hell and the middle of the white top of the snare is very darkened in the middle from what looks like years of use. How bad can drums get when they wear out? Can they get unplayable? Sounds like a stupid question for something that you hit with a stick to make a sound but it seems too good to be true for a kit thats functional at any level. And by playable i mean it basically makes the sounds its supposed to without regard to high quality tone or sound or definition or whatever drummers call it.
for 50 bucks whatever it is its worth it
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
It might need new heads, and hi hat and cymbal might need to be replaced.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Im a drummer. For 50 bucks, as long as the toms are not cracked, id take it. you can get a whole new set of heads for right around 50 bucks, and i bought a cheap but mildly decent cymbal set for 80 bucks. so for 180 bucks you can have a halfway decent drum set. my drum set in its wholeness, cost me right around 1500 bucks.
Quote by Shaepwnsyou
Don't pretend to accidentally put your wang in her anus. That's retarded.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

would it be so bad that i would have to replace it to play it at all or would it be good enough just to screw around with for a beginner?
50 bucks, snatch it up man. Its a fixer, but WAAAAY cheaper than even the shitties stock kit probably
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
would it be so bad that i would have to replace it to play it at all or would it be good enough just to screw around with for a beginner?

as long as none of the cymbals are actually cracked and the skins don't have dents in them it should be ok, the issue would be that the toms might slip out of tune a lot.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

also are the heads something that i can replaced myself
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
as long as none of the cymbals are actually cracked and the skins don't have dents in them it should be ok, the issue would be that the toms might slip out of tune a lot.

drums are tuned? you have to tune them?
Kits that are beat to hell can often sound really cool, if you're into that type of sound.

Buy it.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
also are the heads something that i can replaced myself

yeah it's not that hard, you might want some help when tuning them though for the first time.

Quote by MichaelOfCanton
drums are tuned? you have to tune them?

Yes, the snare you just tune to a sound you like, toms are actually pitched.

Last.fm
if the cymbals are brass, replace with B8's or something, Sabian makes them, once you get serious, go with anything B20 bronze (bell bronze, like Zildjian K cymbs), heads aren't a big deal, get 2 ply batter heads and 1 ply resonants. maybe a new pedal and cymbal stands but those can get expensive.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah it's not that hard, you might want some help when tuning them though for the first time.

Yes, the snare you just tune to a sound you like, toms are actually pitched.

some people tune the toms to fifth intervals, most drummers don't, since they don't have to match the guitar, piano, or bass...it just has to be a good sounding interval
tuning, in a nutshell, make all of the lugs the same tension and check by putting a finger in the middle and tapping near the lugs, try to match the pitch. The bottom (resonant head) can be matched to the batter, or made lower or higher, this is different for most kits and takes time for the first time, the snare is more difficult but takes not too much longer and the bass is easiest.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
I found a set with 3 toms, a bass, snare, hi hat, and one cymbal for sale for 50 bucks. In the picture it looks used to hell and the middle of the white top of the snare is very darkened in the middle from what looks like years of use. How bad can drums get when they wear out? Can they get unplayable? Sounds like a stupid question for something that you hit with a stick to make a sound but it seems too good to be true for a kit thats functional at any level. And by playable i mean it basically makes the sounds its supposed to without regard to high quality tone or sound or definition or whatever drummers call it.

The part you hit can be changed easily. They're called heads. It will probably sound like shit, but you can play it.
Quote by musiclover_92
some people tune the toms to fifth intervals, most drummers don't, since they don't have to match the guitar, piano, or bass...it just has to be a good sounding interval

Really though, they should be tuned in key with the song. I can always tell when they aren't and sounds like ass.

Last.fm
not really, you think drummers re-tune their entire kit in between split second song intervals? it's alot more time consuming than a guitar matey.
I got my kit for $25 at a yard sale. It definitely sucks, but it works to practice and record songs.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by rainbag
not really, you think drummers re-tune their entire kit in between split second song intervals? it's alot more time consuming than a guitar matey.

A lot of drummers don't when playing live and that's one thing, not doing it in the studio however is just stupid.

Last.fm
Check the quality of the rings and shells. The heads can be replaced for a little bit of money and I think the rings can be too. It sounds like the coating is a bit worn on the snare, you really need to know the quality of the snare wires though. Look it over and price up what you need for it, ie new heads, snare wires, whatever else, add 50 bucks to it, and then decide if the whole thing is worth that much money.

Also you might want to check the size of the shells before you buy the heads but they should be around 12" 13" 16" for toms 22" for bass and 14" for snare, those are about standard sizes.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by slaptasticdave
for 50 bucks whatever it is its worth it

Even a hooker with three boobs ???!!!

On topic: Go for the drum kit, i got a shitty one too and it did the job and it was CHEAP!!!
Something tells me it's too good to be true, but I'd grab it. Skins cost barely anything. Chances are the cymbals are shit or are cracked.