Hey peoples, this is really stupid question and i know ill get flamed, but...
i can read all the tabs on here and i write my own bass stuff sometimes, but (yes im this stupid) in the tabs from the guitar world magazines, what does the thing mean when its like ( but going up? :P i know its retarded, but im "musically retarded" i guess but still ive only been playing for 3 months and am self taught. does the sign mean a bend, or a hammeron?(im looking at the bassline for 18 and life by skid row in one of the mags now) thanks and sorry for dumbassness
Haha man, don't worry about it, I was like that when I started too.

If it's the sign I'm thinking of, it's a bend.
If its tabbed in a magazine the there should be a number above it if its a bend. If there isn't then my guess is that the sign you're describing means hammer on.
lol i mean like ( turned up so its pointing up :P

and thanks for the answer i understand it now :P
no a hammer on is facing down.

it means the note is tied. so it continues until it tells you to stop (or something like that, i suck at english and explaining haha)
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
usually when you're reading a tab there will be a key at the top and it will say like

~=vibrato
P=pull off

etc...

so check the tab and it should tell you whether it means bend or not, and by 'going up symbol' do you mean ^ that?
Yeah, check the front/back pages of the magazine as there are usually keys somewhere in them.

If you mean it goes --5)-- with the symbol starting about half way up the note then it will be a bend, if there's a rainbow linking the tops of something like --5h7-- or --5-7-- then it is most likely a hammer on.

Look for a key though or post up a little scan so we can see what you mean.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic