Well, before too long I think I'm finally going to make my transition from a beginner guitarist to a more intermediate one. The main bands whose songs that I've been learning are Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Pantera, Black Sabbath, and Slayer. Right now, I have the bare bones setup. A very generic guitar/amp setup I picked up awhile ago from a local music store just to get me started. Now that I can play through the entirety of many different songs, I've wanted to upgrade my guitar and amp.

Let me start by saying that my current guitar and amp are pretty much irrelevant to what I'm going to be purchasing. Since after I get one it'll be a very short time until I buy the other, I'm thinking of just picking up both a new guitar and amp at the same time. This way I can basically find a sound that fits me best in store then walk out with that guitar/amp combination. My budget is probably going to be in about the $1000 (United States, to clarify) range, although that's not a fixed number, I'll gladly wait and build up more cash if I find something I like.

The main thing I was wondering is which guitars and amps should I put on my list of things to really look into, and what things should I try to avoid? I've been reading many different reviews on this site, and have looked around other sites. Some of the companies I've been paying attention to are ESP, Jackson, and Dean. As far as amps go, I've read a lot about the Line 6 Spider III, and some about Marshalls.

Any suggestions? If you need to ask me any questions about what I'm looking for feel free.
you're lucky!!! 1000 Us$ to burn! spend more on your amp... 'cause that is where the true sound is coming
Quote by CFDragon
Well, before too long I think I'm finally going to make my transition from a beginner guitarist to a more intermediate one.

I'm sorry....I just had to point that out.

You make it sound like your transforming/evolving/hatching, and it made me laugh. lol...sorry.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Don't get a Spider III, do not get a Marshall MG.

B-52 AT-112 for the amp.
ಠ_ಠ
About the Spider III Line 6, if I go into almost any guitar shop it seems every employee will tell me that this is the best amp to ever grace the planet. I think they are crap, none of the effects sound good, it is hard to control( too many f**king knobs!!!), and I just hate the overall tone.
I haven't had much experience with a lot of equipment, sorry I can't help you with choosing your set up, but be wary of this. I don't know maybe you'll like it but I sure as hell didn't.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
BC Rich, Jackson, Dean,ESP(LTD)
as for amps
maybe a used krank rev jr.
or new
b52 at combo
randall g3 plus
or a valveking, people hate on them, but they're popular for a reason
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by USAPeavey
I'm sorry....I just had to point that out.

You make it sound like your transforming/evolving/hatching, and it made me laugh. lol...sorry.

beginners evolve at level 12........ duh

But on a serious note, I would look into Bugera combo amps and then take a look at ESP and Jackson guitars
Thanks for all the fast responses!

I'd probably go used. And yeah, the whole "evolving" thing. It does feel somewhat symbolic to go from using some generic guitar/amp to using one that has a brand name that people recognize (not that brand names are an innate sign of superiority). And yeah, the 1k came from me taking about a year and a half of just not spending money. I'm a real slow, patient shopper.

The only store I've been in around my area since I've moved is Sam Ash. They seem to get a bad rap since they're a big company name, but this on in particular seemed kind enough, they let me test out all sorts of pedals and didn't really pressure me very much into a purchase. Although that could be because of the OSU/Purdue game had most of the employees attention.
I'm assuming by ESP you mean LTD, unless you want to go used. If you want new I'd suggest spending the most on the amp, or possibly trying amps in store then buy the amp used (I'm the same way, I like my guitars new, my amps I'm not as attached to). If you want something really versatile, look into Bugera combos if you can. I got one and I play in a Jazz band (school) and metal on my own time and it suits both needs perfectly. New it's $700 (or atleast the model I got was).

For guitars I'm not sure what to suggest, anything specific you want on it? Active/passive pups? FR or hardtail? Scale length?
Well that's the thing, I've just been adding things to my list of what I should try out, and what I should avoid, I'm not 100% sure what I want. Although, one of the first I added to my list o' guitars to look into was the Jackson King V, partly because it has a very metal background (i.e. Dave Mustaine) and it also has the Floyd Rose bridge and 24 frets, which aren't necessities, but I like having the extra frets and at least a little room for some whammy shenanigans.
Quote by CFDragon
Well that's the thing, I've just been adding things to my list of what I should try out, and what I should avoid, I'm not 100% sure what I want. Although, one of the first I added to my list o' guitars to look into was the Jackson King V, partly because it has a very metal background (i.e. Dave Mustaine) and it also has the Floyd Rose bridge and 24 frets, which aren't necessities, but I like having the extra frets and at least a little room for some whammy shenanigans.

Hmmm... Well if you want to get an FR I really suggest going with an OFR or Ibanez trem that is not an Edge III. Jackson LFRs are ok though. I'd say maybe try the new BC Rich NJ V? It's got an OFR, neck thru, EMG's, an ebony fretboard, and 24 frets. That or some Ibanez guitars.
Woah 1000 bucks on an intermediate set up.
Lucky.
I'd like to +1 the Bugera user

As for a guitar check out esp(ltd) and rondomusic.com for some kick-ass les paul copies.

But honestly go and try out as many guitars as you can we can tell you the guitars for you only you can(same goes with amps).

I personally feel Ibanez are over rated the neck is too flimsy for me but eh different strokes for different blokes.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."