Is this right at all?
http://guanabee.com/2008/10/baby-engineered-to-cure-brothe-1.php
[the sight looks a little sketchy, but it's the information that matters]
The whole term "Genetically Engineered Baby" just doesnt seem right to me. This would however, probably do a lot of good, I mean, if it all really works out without a disaster, they've gotten rid of an inherited disease in their child, and thats good right? And, I mean i'm sure the child was not born JUST to save his older brother, they had to have wanted another child, right?

After the green light from the National Commission for Assisted Reproduction, Javier and Andres’ parents chose to resort to a genetic pre-implant diagnosis; a technique that allows [one] to verify if an embryo is healthy from a genetic point of view, before transferring it to the mother’s uterus. For this type of diagnosis, absolutely prohibited in Italy, the embryo obtained by ‘in vitro’ fertilization’ is genetically examined to verify that it does not carry any diseases.

So, basically, they fix the child all up before its even born, could this lead to great hings?

What do you think: Is it wrong to genetically screen our embryos? What about “designing” your baby to help another one of your kids?

Personally, I think designing your baby to be exactly how you want it would ruin the fun, but, saving it from future diseases that would end up putting people through pain in the end anyway, I think that would actually be great.

What are your thoughts?
call me Shelby

Last edited by ShelbyLynn at Oct 14, 2008,
Sounds like a good idea to me. Deciding gender and such might be a bit much, but with technology like this autism and pre-natal disease could be obliterated overnight.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
maybe they can make them taste better. although it would be hard to improve on their current taste.

but really, if you can cure some major disease or disability with it, i dont see it being a major issue.
Reminds me of this book I read that talked about eugenics(thats what its called)

These people got in trouble because of their 'quality control'
i.e. killing babies that came out 'wrong'
They can already choose the sex of the kid by centrifuging the sperm. The sperm that is heavier, woman, go tho the bottom, while the "men" stay on top.

I think its fine, i'd kill myself if i have 3 girls in a row. Curing or removing a disease also makes sense.

And yea, maybe they would taste better.
Gattica was an awesome movie.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

No it's not a good thing. In the near future, if they keep allowing this to happen, babies will be genetically prepared to become stronger, talented and without any fears that they would be used in wars by the government.

Also, it's not fair those who are able to pay for this will have sons who could become genius', not artificially, not even if you're creating and modifying the baby, because it'll be as if it was born like this. The only difference is that the parents would know they'd be genius'. I think those who will be rich will become even more rich, and nothing for inferior humans will benefit them.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
it reminds me of the movie Gattaca...

if we start doing it...then everyone will do it almost in a couple decades...

then people who do it normally without genetic help arent as good as the genetic helped ones

making different classes and jobs and such

like the movie Gattaca
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
sweet i can make sure my kids dont have Ginger-vitis like me!
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
I agree it is could if it could eliminate certain illnesses, however I can quickly see it turning into what plastic surgery is now.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by Rust_in_Peace34

great movie...didnt see you posted about it before me though
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Quote by Sean-Man
sweet i can make sure my kids dont have Ginger-vitis like me!

Thats not genetic......unfortunately your kids will be as retarded as you...
With science, who knows what'll happen in the long run though, we could end up with a race of more challenged people than we started with, or a race of super humans.
call me Shelby

Quote by Rust_in_Peace34

Quote by amazing FretMan
it reminds me of the movie Gattaca...

if we start doing it...then everyone will do it almost in a couple decades...

then people who do it normally without genetic help arent as good as the genetic helped ones

making different classes and jobs and such

like the movie Gattaca

Indeed.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
curing a disease that runs in the family doesn't offend me much at all... but with this power to alter unborn life + shallow human society, it's eventually going to turn into genetically engineering babies to grow up beautiful... not for that at all
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by ShelbyLynn
With science, who knows what'll happen in the long run though, we could end up with a race of more challenged people than we started with, or a race of super humans.

That's a good thing, but everyone who was never modified genetically would suffer a lot, their lives would be ruined. Then they would fade away, pure humans would cease to exist.

I don't know, even if there are super-humans, life would just never be the same. Everything would seem so artificially, so robotic. We'd all have the same intelligence, same attractiveness, same talent for certain art, job, free from illness, etc...it just doesn't seem right
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
I thought they were having the child to harvest like a kidney or something at first. When I read that they just took the umbilical cord I was fine with it. Advancing science and medicine are good things.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by touji-za-nai
curing a disease that runs in the family doesn't offend me much at all... but with this power to alter unborn life + shallow human society, it's eventually going to turn into genetically engineering babies to grow up beautiful... not for that at all

Our society+power tends to equal abuse of that power, leading to things such as this...

Quote by XxLloydxX
That's a good thing, but everyone who was never modified genetically would suffer a lot, their lives would be ruined. Then they would fade away, pure humans would cease to exist.

I don't know, even if there are super-humans, life would just never be the same. Everything would seem so artificially, so robotic. We'd all have the same intelligence, same attractiveness, same talent for certain art, job, free from illness, etc...it just doesn't seem right

I knew there were things I coudln't quite put my finger on.
call me Shelby

Last edited by ShelbyLynn at Oct 14, 2008,
This is like Brave New World. Everyone who has read that book knows how bad of an idea this is.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
it just shouldnt be done...

think of Gattaca!!!!!

what a sad world our world is coming to...
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast