Page 1 of 2
Well, I dont know much about how to open a venue.
or a business.
luckily i have friends who know a little.

heres what we're looking at...

http://houston.craigslist.org/off/868254342.html

Its small, cheap, and in the ghetto.

but you have to start small.
besides...its a punk/hardcore (not metalcore) venue.
so it works out.

It SAYS $650.
Im not sure if thats monthly or not.

also, im wondering if i need some type of permit to open a venue.
Because, I think you do, but i dont know who to contact.
Anyone have any ideas?

I also need a good name for the place.
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin
My penis is quite literally trembling in fear.

FLOCKDRAW!!!!!!! EPICS!!!!!
$650 is definitely monthly, and get some bands lined up before you do anything. Be sure you have ways to promote your shows etc.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
The Goodship Lifestyle ( anyone get it? )
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
You have to get into contact with your city's government. Town Hall or the mayor's office should have all of the information you need.

Also be aware that you may not be able to place a venue at that warehouse due to safety issues, noise ordinances, etc. Also be aware that you have to pay the electrical bills and fix the hell out of that place. It looks run down and you will not get a permit for anything with a warehouse like that.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
turn it into a techno rnb club, metalheads don't have any money
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Seryaph
You have to get into contact with your city's government. Town Hall or the mayor's office should have all of the information you need.

Also be aware that you may not be able to place a venue at that warehouse due to safety issues, noise ordinances, etc. Also be aware that you have to pay the electrical bills and fix the hell out of that place. It looks run down and you will not get a permit for anything with a warehouse like that.

well of course we're going to fix the place up.
We have ALOT of people willing to work.
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin

i couldn't help you but i gotta say it looks like a great place for a venue. good luck
i live in the houston area and i gotta say i hope you have something different planned to make bands want to play there. theres a lot of venues in that area (meridian, fitzgeralds, java jazz, scouts bar, walters washington, just to name a few) it would be hard, but if you pull it off as a punk hangout as you kind of said, then i will be there when the doors open. good luck sir
the reason the guy is selling and the reason most hardcore places shut down is because punks etc are usually not of the highest income bracket, prone to violence and generally not the people that keep a place running. Your lighting, electricity heating, staffing etc will probably exceed 900 a month. Im friends with a couple of local club owners they packed in rock clubs to make money from winebars lol
Quote by guitarslutxxx
i live in the houston area and i gotta say i hope you have something different planned to make bands want to play there. theres a lot of venues in that area (meridian, fitzgeralds, java jazz, scouts bar, walters washington, just to name a few) it would be hard, but if you pull it off as a punk hangout as you kind of said, then i will be there when the doors open. good luck sir

alright well i'll keep ya posted on it.
Quote by joehhy

Quote by Led Pepplin

this is a huge undertaking, but I can't commend you enough for trying to pull it off. the music scene needs more people like you! if i was anywhere close I would help out, but best of luck to you and your friends!
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Before you sign anything get a business license, a lawyer and at least 6 months of rent, electricity, insurance, utilities, etc... saved. As you will lose money for at least 6 months.

You should also apply for building permits, as you will need to build at least two restrooms that are handicap accessable. You will also have to make sure there are enough exits, fire sprinklers, alarms and heating/cooling as well as the electrical being up to snuff to conform to local codes.

Also hire an accountant.

Before you do any of this write a business plan.

You would have to be dumber then a rock to open a place like that without doing at least what I have listed.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Oct 15, 2008,
Fix it up and pay the monthly fees. In about 6-ish months, you'll have the place going. Just get some bands that are ready to play as soon as it's running.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by SenorSmiley
Before you sign anything get a business license, a lawyer and at least 6 months of rent, electricity, insurance, utilities, etc... saved. As you will lose money for at least 6 months.

You should also apply for building permits, as you will need to build at least two restrooms that are handicap accessable. You will also have to make sure there are enough exits, fire sprinklers, alarms and heating/cooling as well as the electrical being up to snuff to conform to local codes.

Also hire an accountant.

Before you do any of this write a business plan.

You would have to be dumber then a rock to open a place like that without doing at least what I have listed.

This. Permits and inspections are needed for pretty much everything. All of which cost money, so save as much as possible. Hope it all works out, good luck!
If you own the property, you should be able to do anything you want with it. If you rent, the landlord has the final say.

Noise bylaws tend to be more lax than you'd think. Make sure you know exactly what they are though.

One thing you might need a permit for is collecting money for admission. You could probably get around that by doing it informally though.

Liquor is also an issue. You could either get a liquor license which would cost money or just try to be discreet about it. Keep in mind even if you're doing pretty much everything according to bylaws and whatnot, the cops might try to get you on something small like that.

I'm willing to bet nobody who has posted in this thread thus far has ever put on shows before. I think 650 a month would be really easy to cover. I've paid 400 or 500 to rent a venue and broke even at $10 a person (although that's not always the case)
Do NOT COLLECT MONEY INFORMALY

This is the type of bone headed advice that will kill your business.

Start a business:

Rule #1 - write a business plan
Rule #2 - pay an accountant to deal with taxes.
LUCKILY my father is actually an electrician, which should cover the fire sprinklers and such.
My friend rob is in construction, so he can get some boys from his work to help us on the restrooms...My friend Elliot is a ****ing genious, so who needs an accountant!

I think we can handle the money part, I myself took alot of business classes in high school.

And we decided to NOT allow alcohal, until we figure out that part (and until one of us hits 21).

We are however saving LOTS of money for this...I know it will NOT be easy, but damn it, we're going to do the best we can.

We arent AS worried about the noise laws...We got that one covered also.

Im going to go downtown soon though so i can discuss this with the guys at the city hall, and see just what we're going to have to do.

If worse comes to worse, we'll just f*ckin do it old school and not get any permits, and just have bands play anyways. (but, that shouldnt have to happen)
Quote by joehhy

Quote by Led Pepplin

just be prepared to lose money for the first few months (like make sure you have about 3000 saved up) because the shows may not pay for the rent at first.
really to open the average business you would need like $25 000 + and something that you can be liable for like a house. This isn't something a few teenagers can pull together...
Quote by trashbeast
just be prepared to lose money for the first few months (like make sure you have about 3000 saved up) because the shows may not pay for the rent at first.

true...be sure to have something to fall back on

cut back on things and to really save on advertising, use word of mouth.
It's very powerful

Quote by Ravenwoods
really to open the average business you would need like $25 000 + and something that you can be liable for like a house. This isn't something a few teenagers can pull together...

people start out somewhere.

starting small is a good idea

oh, P.S

get a bouncer
Goodluck man.

A mate of mine opened a horror merch store in Perth earlier this year.

He's got all of the classic movies and costumes and stuff. The best part is that it doubles as a music venue too, which is brilliant.

You can catch all of the best punk/rockabilly/blues acts in Perth.

Soooo, have fun man and keep us updated.
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/westaussie/

Quote by StratPat

Quote by blacksabbath8
So I had to take a massive dump, and I went in the bassment. So it's been down there for a while and the stench is terrible and i think it's seeping into the floor.

Quote by Wolfwood╬

oh, P.S

get a bouncer

haha.
we talked about that.

but we dont need one.
if you knew my friends, you'd see why!
hah
Quote by joehhy

Quote by Led Pepplin

It would take a serious effort and your gonna loose lots of money right away.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by XXm3t@lXX
haha.
we talked about that.

but we dont need one.
hah

well goodluck mate, you would need it

i have opened a computer cafe just recently, hope it does well

here's to being our own boss
yea i'd say check with your local gov officials and what not to see what exactly you need for permits. and yea a building inspection is pretty much necessary....oh and i think most venues need some sort of insurance to cover the people in attendance which is why most places frown upon moshing/ body surfing
start the Korova Milk Bar , if som1 gets this im gonna wang suck
Quote by steven seagull
Everytime you feel your attention waning go the mirror and say outloud to yourself...
"I am Rockasaurus Sex...I have the most awesome username in existence and I will ROCK!"
Quote by XXm3t@lXX
haha.
we talked about that.

but we dont need one.
hah
I don't know about Texas, but here bouncers are pretty tightly regulated. Unlicensed bouncers and their club owners face pretty harsh punishments.
Quote by XXm3t@lXX
Well, I dont know much about how to open a venue.
or a business.
luckily i have friends who know a little.

heres what we're looking at...

http://houston.craigslist.org/off/868254342.html

Its small, cheap, and in the ghetto.

but you have to start small.
besides...its a punk/hardcore (not metalcore) venue.
so it works out.

It SAYS $650.
Im not sure if thats monthly or not.

also, im wondering if i need some type of permit to open a venue.
Because, I think you do, but i dont know who to contact.
Anyone have any ideas?

I also need a good name for the place.

Looks like a fixer-upper, but could be a good project if you're willing to put in the work.

Quote by ROCKASAURUS_SEX

Dude, Clockwork Orange ftw.
Quote by ROCKASAURUS_SEX

clock work orange?
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by XXm3t@lXX
LUCKILY my father is actually an electrician, which should cover the fire sprinklers and such.
My friend rob is in construction, so he can get some boys from his work to help us on the restrooms...My friend Elliot is a ****ing genious, so who needs an accountant!

I think we can handle the money part, I myself took alot of business classes in high school.

And we decided to NOT allow alcohal, until we figure out that part (and until one of us hits 21).

We are however saving LOTS of money for this...I know it will NOT be easy, but damn it, we're going to do the best we can.

We arent AS worried about the noise laws...We got that one covered also.

Im going to go downtown soon though so i can discuss this with the guys at the city hall, and see just what we're going to have to do.

If worse comes to worse, we'll just f*ckin do it old school and not get any permits, and just have bands play anyways. (but, that shouldnt have to happen)

You are a fool if you don't serve at least beer. You can make plenty of profit on booze alone if you have a poor show up.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Pyrest
Call it The Pit.

This
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by n to the k
call it "the pit"

u need a serving licence to serve booze i think.

It shall be called the pit.

actually thats an amazing idea!
hah!

No one in houston will get it.

And I shall silently laugh to myself.
Quote by joehhy

Quote by Led Pepplin

Page 1 of 2