I play guitar. I know what I'm doing. I think I want to get a bass, but no idea which one...

I play a lot of blues/blues-rock, and just rock in general, anyway I would like a bass that has a good sound for blues, really open, round, full. I'm thinking opposite what a punk bass set up would sound like(that sounds really dumb). Think With or without you (u2). Top contender is a Fender Jazz standard, possibly used; don't wanna spend much more than 500. Amp suggestions are cool too though thats secondary, I want the guitar first(maybe with a small amp to start with) then I can worry about getting a good amp later on.
A Fender J or P bass would be a good buy. I would never put an amp as secondary though since that's where a majority of the tone comes from but with your budget it would be a bit hard.
Bass forum ftw. +1 to pwrmax's post btw, if you want to start with a Jazz bass why not start with said bass? Go for it!
ya, I completely agree with you about the amp and tone situation, but I don't have the money to go out and get a fender jazz and a decent amp right now and I figure I could borrow a friends amp for nowif I had to...
Quote by wyantsm
ya, I completely agree with you about the amp and tone situation, but I don't have the money to go out and get a fender jazz and a decent amp right now and I figure I could borrow a friends amp for nowif I had to...

Oh, well in that case get the Fender and save up for a nice amp. You can always rent one for gigs if those come by before more money.