Alright so I have an epiphone les paul special, and I get a little crackling noise. I figure its the guitar input since my other guitar is fine with the same cable and amp. So when I'm tightening the nut, do I have to unscrew the input and take it out? Or can I just dig in with my wrench? I hear sometimes you can mess up the wiring by doing that.
unscrew the cavity on the back of your guitar, and hold onto the jack from the inside while tightening the nut on the outside. that way none of the wires will be twisted and pulled.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
my friend has the same guitar and the same thing happened...do wat the dude earlier said and it should work fine

gear:
line 6 spider valve 212
ibanez RG5EX1
vinci VE5PK
If simply tightening the port doesn't work, inside the body where the port connects, there is a metal prong that should angle from the edge of the nut towards the center. This is the contact point between the cord's jack and the input of your guitar. Ensure that it's bent towards the center enough to provide solid contact with the jack pin.

This happened to me several times. Both are very easy to do.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by UnsignedRecords
unscrew the cavity on the back of your guitar, and hold onto the jack from the inside while tightening the nut on the outside. that way none of the wires will be twisted and pulled.

Ok so I unscrewed and there was no way I could reach the jack, so I just said the hell with it and tightened it from the outside only. It worked fine, but will this cause any problems?
how could you not reach the jack? the cavity is like 2inches deep

it's really better that you tighten it by securing the inside. don't be surprised if the jack comes loose again.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Give me one minute, I'll get a picture

Last edited by newaccount at Oct 15, 2008,
nah it's fine. i suggest you pull out the jack a little by unscrewing those 4 screws that the jack is connected to. then you can get a good grip of the inside of it in order to tighten it.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I would have done that first, although a look under the back plate is always worth doing to check the wires haven't got twisted up. My second guitar was a Les Paul copy and the socket mounting was dreadful, it felt like it was made from an old bean tin. Has any bright spark designed a square plug and socket that doesn't twist round and become loose???
Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez ARX140
Boss GT-6 mulit effects
Amp by Marshall