Ok, folks, I just got my first electric guitar. It's a Squier Bullet Strat. I got it out of the box and put the whammy bar in. The whammy bar barely moves up and down at all, and barely makes any difference in the sound of the notes. Is something wrong? Or is that how it's supposed to be?

I know I've seen videos of people with electric guitars, where the whammy bar moves pretty far, like 1/2" or more. When I move mine, it's 1/8" or 1/16" at best. It just barely gives, and the notes hardly change. Did I forget to do something? Forgive my complete noobishness, I just got the guitar today, and I've never had one before.
Quote by ThatGuy177
The whammy bars on strats aren't meant to be moved that far. The whammy bars you must be thinking of are Floyd Rose types which can be pushed down to the strings.

No, I saw the (crappy) video he sent me of it. It's essentially motionless. I've shown him mine (MIM Strat) and I get a good 3/8-1/2 inch motion at the end of the wammy bar. His entire bridge seems fixed, yet it has a hole for a tremolo bar.

(I'm not physically there to take a look, and don't know anything about those guitars)
Quote by Iceman 420
Check the springs in the back.

I just opened up the back, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. The springs are connected...
Loosen the springs up in the back with a screw driver, that will let the bridge raise up a bit off the body
Quote by HighPotency
Well it might have too many springs or it needs to get broken in.

I was thinking maybe it needed to be broken in, since it seems to be getting better as I use it more. It has 3 springs.
Alright, I loosened the springs, and that seems to have done the trick! Thanks!