Page 1 of 2
I have been in the market for a gibson lately and i went to gc and tried out a standard sg and a standard les paul(both amazing guitars).

Even though they have different pups that wasnt what did it, the sg just sounded a lot brighter than the les paul, i dont know why.

they are both made of mahogany so i dont get it.

played through some kind of vox tube amp that was used.
Any ideas?
les pauls (usually) have a lot more wood than sg's. that affects how bassy or trebley the guitar is going to be.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
les pauls (usually) have a lot more wood than sg's. that affects how bassy or trebley the guitar is going to be.

cool,
that explains why my 3lb. basswood ibanez has a thin tone with littleto no mids.
yeah, the sg is usually a lot lighter than the les pauls, and a lot less wood is required to construct an sg. that is the main reason i would think
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Quote by All_Bodies
cool,
that explains why my 3lb. basswood ibanez has a thin tone with littleto no mids.

it also has to do with your amp setting.
Quote by kckyle
and thats why i choose my sg over my lp most of the time

ya i like it, has that twangy kind of ac dc sound.
Quote by kckyle
it also has to do with your amp setting.

ya i know, there are alot of variations.
i like lighter guitars for cleans too, it just gives it a bright tone.
Quote by All_Bodies
ya i know, there are alot of variations.
i like lighter guitars for cleans too, it just gives it a bright tone.

right now the les paul isn't even in the picture when i choose which guitar to play. it always comes down to sg vs strat for me now lol
LP's are heavier and heavier guitars have a more sustainable sound
Quote by kckyle
right now the les paul isn't even in the picture when i choose which guitar to play. it always comes down to sg vs strat for me now lol

ya strats are amazing for cleans too, but there are a lot of things you have to constantly update with the strats, they are such needy guitars.

i love les pauls still though, but ya when i save up another $300 i will probably go with the sg supreme in green or blue.
Quote by Bazedq

its all the same if you have the right amp with the right eq
Quote by Bazedq

yep thats a given
Quote by All_Bodies
ya strats are amazing for cleans too, but there are a lot of things you have to constantly update with the strats, they are such needy guitars.

i love les pauls still though, but ya when i save up another $300 i will probably go with the sg supreme in green or blue.

i'll stalk you if you do get a blue one
Quote by kckyle
its all the same if you have the right amp with the right eq

no way man, les pauls and sg's and most guitars that have set necks have way more sustain. especially if they have a fixed bridge which les pauls do(except the axcess).
Quote by kckyle
tell that to the moog guitar

never played that thing, but i know it has a sustain device in it.
i've never really messed with one of those, sounds cool thoug but not $6000 cool.
Quote by kckyle
i'll stalk you if you do get a blue one

jesus christ dude sell one of your damn heads and buy one, how did you get all that gear when you are only 19?

i been savin up for about 6 months.
Quote by All_Bodies
no way man, les pauls and sg's and most guitars that have set necks have way more sustain. especially if they have a fixed bridge which les pauls do(except the axcess).

Set necks don't have "way more sustain" in fact, they have less sustain than bolt-on necks, last time I checked, glue doesn't vibrate.

The only reason why people think set necks have more sustain is because so many cheaply priced/lesser quality guitars are made with bolt-on necks (and the job usually isn't done well) but if you have a high quality guitar with a good bolt-on, you'll get way more sustain than a set neck.
theoretically, yes the set neck should have more sustain because the body and neck are one piece, when in actuality, it doesn't. it all comes down to the guitar.

As for me, id rather play with my dick than a les paul or strat. Id def go with the SG.
I want A Basswood Grestch acoutic guitar. that'd be Sweeeeeeet
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
i'm pretty sure the pickups are different. also, far less wood and a different shape counts for a lot.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Set necks don't have "way more sustain" in fact, they have less sustain than bolt-on necks, last time I checked, glue doesn't vibrate.

Doesn't matter wether or not the glue vibrates, the two peices are flush together in most places and essentially function as one piece.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Doesn't matter wether or not the glue vibrates, the two peices are flush together in most places and essentially function as one piece.

the glue effectively separates the 2 pieces of wood because it doesn't allow vibrations to pass through it well whereas the bolts actually transfer the vibrations really well.

the only reason people see set neck guitars as functioning as one piece of wood is because you can't remove a set neck.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
the glue effectively separates the 2 pieces of wood because it doesn't allow vibrations to pass through it well whereas the bolts actually transfer the vibrations really well.

the only reason people see set neck guitars as functioning as one piece of wood is because you can't remove a set neck.

however the glue is only in contact with the wood at certain places in the joint, usually most of the joint isn't coated with glue.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
however the glue is only in contact with the wood at certain places in the joint, usually most of the joint isn't coated with glue.

you still get better vibration transfer fro a bolt on.

and my point still stands. a set neck is no more 'effectively 1 piece of wood' than a bolt on.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
you still get better vibration transfer fro a bolt on.

I have never seen or heard any evidence of this, and common knowledge supports the opposite.

Last.fm
you also have several luthiers testifying that in their experience the studies results hold true. but hey, what are the opinions of luthiers as opposed to the common knowledge of guitarists.

like the common knowledge that EMG pickups have a high output.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
you also have several luthiers testifying that in their experience the studies results hold true. but hey, what are the opinions of luthiers as opposed to the common knowledge of guitarists.

like the common knowledge that EMG pickups have a high output.

and every luthier I've talked to, plus my experience, has said the opposite, and as for the EMGs, that's sort of misleading, since they do have high output by virtue of thier buit in preamps, and since they don't work without those, saying they don't have high output is kind of silly, if you're reffering to thier passive pickups, that's also misleading since generally when people say EMGs they mean the active ones.

Last.fm
..... Hold on. your arguing about wether Bolt on or Set necks sustain more....... you morons.

Bolt on necks have higher sustain, because the Bolt is designed to tranfer vibration through the wood. Glue is not.

so please. Stop arguing and go to the pit, or better, stop wasting your time and discuss the theory of it in the musicians talk section
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
and every luthier I've talked to, plus my experience, has said the opposite, and as for the EMGs, that's sort of misleading, since they do have high output by virtue of thier buit in preamps, and since they don't work without those, saying they don't have high output is kind of silly, if you're reffering to thier passive pickups, that's also misleading since generally when people say EMGs they mean the active ones.

but the pickups themselves don't have high output. that's the point.

It's sort of true, and if people just used their blind experience they most likely would say that they have high output, but when you look into it, they have high output because of something else.

it's the same with neck joints.

people see the les paul with a set neck that sustains a note for hours and assume set neck = sustain.

they then see a cheap strat copy with a bolt on neck that can barely hold a note for 3 seconds and assume bolt on=poor sustain.

even when you look at higher end bolt ons like USA fenders you don't et as much sustain as a les paul with the set neck. and again people assume set neck>bolt on.

they ignore all the other variables like the fact that the strat has less wood, different wood, a trem and different pickups.

think about it, how many high quality les paul bodied bolt ons are there?

Quote by element4433
actually, when I tested this I used a Fender Telecaster (with a bridge humbucker) and a Gibson SG, since they have about the same mass give or take a little, and there was still a noticable difference with the SG having more sustain, I've talkd to other people who have done simmilar things and gotten simmilar results. So I'm basing this on mine and others experience with actually trying this, not some lame assumptions.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
actually, when I tested this I used a Fender Telecaster (with a bridge humbucker) and a Gibson SG, since they have about the same mass give or take a little, and there was still a noticable difference with the SG having more sustain, I've talkd to other people who have done simmilar things and gotten simmilar results. So I'm basing this on mine and others experience with actually trying this, not some lame assumptions.

body wood, pickups and bridge types. all different.

most people's tests still have too many variables left in.

you're comparing guitar against guitar not neck type against neck type.

Quote by element4433
yeah its the wood
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Quote by Lemoninfluence
body wood, pickups and bridge types. all different.

most people's tests still have too many variables left in.

you're comparing guitar against guitar not neck type against neck type.

Actually my SG (the one used for the test) is made out of swamp ash, so was the Tele, the output for the pickups was pretty much evenly matched and the Teles bridge should actually give it better sustain.

Last.fm
Easy question.

Why do Stratocasters sound different compared to Les Pauls? Because they're different guitars with different pickups and different woods.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My Les Pauls have noticeably more sustain than my Fender American Deluxe.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Page 1 of 2