Well, I just ordered a brand new Ibanez Prestige RG1527 7-string guitar, and from almost every review I've read, the pickups aren't that great. I'm not going to puchase right away, but I need to know ahead of time what pickups I'm going to get/would work best with an ibanez (my guitar).

Guitar I'm getting:
Prestige Ibanez RG1527 7-String!

I mainly play metal, thrash metal, some rock, and lots of lead!

So far, I'm looking at a DiMarzio D Sonic 7 DP706 for the Bridge:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-D-Sonic-7-DP706-7-String-Pickup-309386-i1128242.gc

And an Air Norton for the Neck: (hopefully in a diff color)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP793-Air-Norton-7-String-Pickup-302754-i1127856.gc

I'm not a pro at deciding which pickups are best tho. There is also a couple more pickups I'm not sure about including:
-DiMarzio D-Activator Neck Humbucker Pickup
-DiMarzio D Activator Bridge Humbucker Pickup

If you have any other suggestions or advice, PLEASE post/let me know! I will be very happy if you do.

Thanks SO MUCH if you help me!!!
Since you're only asking what pups to use, and not how to install them I wouldnt say this was the best section for that.

But an Air Norton and D sonic will work well, quite a John Petrucci kind of sound going on there.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
yea, I don't want to hassle with having to install a separate compartment for the battery =/

I'm actually pretty sure that I'm going to get a D-Sonic for the bridge and an Air Norton for the neck...

Any suggestions?
D-Activators are great for 7-strings and drop-tuned guitars

The other set would be a lil more versatile though.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
what do you mean by versatile though...

I play mostly heavy metal, but if i get the activators, i won't have good cleans and such?

explain please?
Keep in mind that the Air Norton will be a much lower output than the D-Sonic. John Petrucci has custom Air Nortons on his guitars, they are wound hotter than normal Air Nortons.

The D-Sonic/Air Norton combo was my original choice too, but my friend talked me into a Blaze Neck, the neck pickup Steve Vai uses on his universe. They're going into my guitar that is currently under construction, can't wait to try them out.

Just something to keep in mind about the outputs, though.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

So that means that if i get the D-sonic/air norton combo, and i switch back and forth (from bridge to neck) during solo's and stuff, then the D-sonic will be LOUDER than the norton??

That is gayyyyy!!!!

Is there a way to fix it so that the output is louder?? Being a Petrucci fan, it would be awesome to have the same pickup combo as him =P Plus, i heard the pickups on his sig guitar ****ing SCREAM, that's why i was thinking about that combo....
Yeah if you check the DiMarzio website, the D-Sonic output is 390, compared to the Air Norton's 260. I'm not really sure what units those are measured in...but you'd most likely want something a little higher output than the Air Norton. Not saying the pickup combo is unheard of, though; some people have done it.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Well remember a neck pup is louder than a bridge pup any way, so they might balance out.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man