The one thing I don't like about college thus far is that it's hard for me to get enough privacy to write and record music. I've been doing a lot of electronic music because I can just put my headphones on and tune everything else out, but with my other music it's hard to record without getting some background/noise and that's assuming someone isn't asking me to stop playing because they're studying or it's after quiet hours or whatever.

There are private practice rooms in the music hall I could use, but I'd have to haul my 16 track, my computer, my guitar, cables, mic and mic stand (and that's assuming I'm using no effects or processing units) about 10 minutes from my dorm, which doesn't sound like much, but that's only one way, and for one trip.

Does anyone else deal with these problems? Any suggestions?
Suck it up and make the trip?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Well like I said that would be a lot of time just hauling shit back and forth and plus I wouldn't be able to lock the room I put my shit in becasue they're open practice rooms, they're just small sound proof rooms
If your school's music department has a recording/production program, you can ask the chairperson if you can use the production room.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Moving out of the dorms is the best decision you'll ever make, my friend. Do it quickly.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
Moving out of the dorms is the best decision you'll ever make, my friend. Do it quickly.

well I can't for 2 years at least if I want to keep going here
Quote by fattyDQ
Well like I said that would be a lot of time just hauling shit back and forth and plus I wouldn't be able to lock the room I put my shit in becasue they're open practice rooms, they're just small sound proof rooms

Here's what you do. Have you ever seen one of those storage facilities that people use to store stuff their wives want them to throw out, but they're pack rats so they just put them in there behind her back? They're like.. fifty bucks a month, I think.

So get one of those. Put your stuff in them, except your guitars, which you can bring home, and just leave it there. Go to one of them when you want to record. Otherwise, I can't help you.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

I have the same problem. Not only that all my good equipment is at home, so really I have to wait to go home to get anything done. It blows. But you just have to deal with it.
Just bring an acoustic to the practice rooms...I prefer writing with a simple setup anyway.
i had the same problem, and i have a shitty computer that can hardly hold any information anyways. I wished the whole time i was there fo rsomething to record electronic music with or something that i cuold do all on headphones, on a better computer. so if you have the availability of another place, just go for it, and for it being a pain in the ass, just have a lot of stuff written or practiced when sitting around the dorm, then on a day off, spend the whole day in the place like once or twice a month, that way you wouldnt haul stuff so often.
(side question, does anybody know if it would be possible to hold audacity portable and all the information like sounds and songs on a single 2 gig flash drive? and it be easy to open and close on any computer?- if this is something that can be found easily on the recording thread or something, sorry, havent looked yet, just came to me)
Can't?

Find a friend who doesn't live in the dorms and use that poor ****er as long as s/he'll let you.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by fattyDQ
What are these things you speak of called

Go to your phone book, open the yellow pages to Storage, and look in there. They're basically small rooms with garage doors on them, which are lockable, they will most certain fit you and your equipment. And they're under surveilance, so even if someone DID manage to break in and steal something, you'd know who it was.
Quote by vintage x metal

how about you just piss people off?
blahblahblahblahblahblah did you enjoy this?
Do it while your roommates are in class? Or ask them for some time you can record?
Or ask someone to help you carry shit?
Theres 3 workable ideas for you.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by Ktool The Girth
Do it while your roommates are in class? Or ask them for some time you can record?
Or ask someone to help you carry shit?
Theres 3 workable ideas for you.

45 minute intervals of time, and I take a lot more credits so usually if he's in class, I'm also in class.

I guess it's just something I'll have to deal with for a while. I mean, my roommate doesn't mind me writing and recording stuff while he's doing homework even, or anything, but I work best, creatively, in a quiet secluded environment. Oh well.
Quote by SteveHouse

Lies... my dorm is so much fun.
I wouldn't really call it fun living in a dorm. There's really nothing to do other than play guitar or surf the web or something.
Dude i have so much work in college it pretty much destroyed any chance of me getting to even pick up my guitar let alone play it
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.

"I am Jack's complete lack of suprise"
I hardly have any work. I'm a music major and a lot of the other freshmen tell me they're practicing hours on end every day, I guess I just came more prepared than most others or anything because I've hardly done shit and I have straight A's. I'm sure I'll get more work every semester though
Quote by El Tostito
Lies... my dorm is so much fun.

Fun dorms are great, but not if you need seclusion to create. (Plus, there's a much higher chance of your dorm sucking than it being a fun community anyway.)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

how the hell could you get enough gear into a dorm room that you'd need a 16-track!?

me and my old roommate did pretty well with a shitty PC mic and his accordion and my acoustic guitar
I've been thinking about getting one of those Line6 things for my electric but electric guitar just isn't fun if you don't have a louder than jumbo jet amp

and my dorm is great
12 person apartment with 2 bathrooms
my roommate is my next door neighbour
its like 1/3 of the price of any regular room would be
and even if I had an regular apartment people would still tell me to stfu after 11pm
Last edited by seljer at Oct 26, 2008,