well, i have been playing for 2 months now, a few hours a day. I have never tried to learn a solo, so i decided to learn the enitire Iron Man song. I learned the riff and all of that pretty quick, but the solo, being my first, is going pretty bad. I got the notes down, but my rythym is really off, so it doesn't sound anything like the original. Is this a regular occurence for people?
Just slow it down immensely, and work on it to a metronome. Play it cleanly and in time perfectly, then slowly increase the speed.
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
pshh yeah.

I first started learning stricken by disturbed like 2 months after i first started playing guitar,and i cant get the end of the solo right because i cant cross pick fast enough so i guess its a regular occurance
Sigs are for chumps...Wait a second...Damn!!!
same thing happened to me when I first started playing guitar. Heed ObsceneGesture's advice and slow down the song immenself. Another very helpful thing to do is to sit down at your computer and play the song along with it. That helps alot too. It happens to everybody, so don't be discouraged. You can never practice enough.
All for one and one for all.
Quote by simplekin88
well, i have been playing for 2 months now, a few hours a day. I have never tried to learn a solo, so i decided to learn the enitire Iron Man song. I learned the riff and all of that pretty quick, but the solo, being my first, is going pretty bad. I got the notes down, but my rythym is really off, so it doesn't sound anything like the original. Is this a regular occurence for people?

Yup, 2 months isn't very long at all and you will find it hard going. First, make sure you've practically memorised the solo - it's a lot easier to play something if you know what it's supposed to sound like.

As far as learning goes you just have to slow everything right down, break the solo into small pieces and be patient, it'sw going to take a while. I'd recommend a slightly easier solo though for a first one, there's some deceptively fiddly bits in Iron Man. Try Highway to Hell by AC/DC instead, you should find it easier.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
haha alright guys, thanks for the encouragement.

^^^^ thanks for the suggestion, but im the type of person that needs to finish learning this, i just have to lol
I would say to work on some basic alternate picking training, chord changes, and rhythm exercises while you are learning to play songs. You can set aside some practice time to work on your technique, even this early in, and only twenty minutes of doing this every day will make a huge difference. Just take your time and try and find simple exercises to work with.

www.guitarticles.net
Quote by ObsceneGestures
Just slow it down immensely, and work on it to a metronome. Play it cleanly and in time perfectly, then slowly increase the speed.

Here's the key to success
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Get the guitar pro trial, it's great for slowing solos down & helping you learn them and then speed them up. I think the trial lasts a month.