I started taking lessons a few months ago after getting a guitar. My lessons are half an hour a week . I've got the basic open chords down. I'm wondering at this point, what should I learn? I feel like I am getting no where. I think I want to learn music theory if that'll teach me how everything works. My goal is to be able to hear a song and be able to play it, or learn a song by ear(if those are two different things). That may take a long time but that's what I ultimately want out of my lessons. He started teaching me scales and we got offtrack, so we're onto something else now. He asked me what genre of songs I like and I told him I'm open to everything. So, would having a focused genre of songs make my experience more worthwhile?
Half an hour a week isn't going to do much for you, buddy.
I'd recommend taking some sort of music course in school if you can, or just learn on your own like everyone else.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
A few of the things you are wanting such as a pitch trained ear are things that naturally devolop with time and experience.

I do believe however you should focus on learning scales up and down the neck, and a few basic chord progressions. That is usually the extent of lessons unless they feel like breaking it down into technique and taking it further(which most teachers to my knowledge will point you in the right direction but you have to walk that path on your own)

Music Theory I would assume you just need to check out some good books on the subject and read up a little bit and maybe pass some of it by your teacher because he may have a fair understanding of theory himself.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
music theory scales warm up exercises things that will help u to learn how to move ur hands and fingers
half an hour a week isnt anything i hope u artent paying too much. u just have to practice a lot on ur own
That's what I'm saying. I'm paying $110 a month and I feel like it's really not worth it. I've learned some chord progressions. Does what notsee said above sound about right to do at this time?
Quote by shadowdreamzk20
That's what I'm saying. I'm paying $110 a month and I feel like it's really not worth it. I've learned some chord progressions. Does what notsee said above sound about right to do at this time?

More or less.
I'm sorry, but 110$ a month for 2 hours a month is the biggest ripoff EVER. You must be rolling in dough if you really don't care.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
that's 2 hours a month. . . Is your teacher by chance Joe Satriani or the guy from Oh, Sleeper(formerly of Between the Buried and Me)? You should get at least double that time for that price. Unless he is like very world renowned, then, I'll shut the hell up.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.

Quote by Froboarder
More or less.
I'm sorry, but 110$ a month for 2 hours a month is the biggest ripoff EVER. You must be rolling in dough if you really don't care.

lol, not at all. I'm broke as a joke. I had a hard time finding a teacher around where I live and just kind of settled on this one. It's some music school and supposedly a " good one". He's not famous. Here's his website www.jessechendricks.com

What do you think? I should drop the lessons ASAP huh? It's all prepaid so I'll have to wait till the end of the month. Man I feel stupid for spending that much and getting nothing out of it.
Last edited by shadowdreamzk20 at Oct 15, 2008,
I would say it's up to you either way. The basis for knowledge you could probably gain from UG or decent books. I had accumulated a very in depth knowledge of theory prior to my first teacher.
The teachers I had were jazz/classical based lessons though, so they mainly worked with me on phrasing and dynamics. Working out my weak areas, which honestly, when stuff gets too hard to count, I just memorize how it sounds on phrasing.
Practice goes a long way and if you need help in your musical endeavors I will be happy to help as much as possible.
Quote by paranoid joker

I say drop 'em. The price is a ripoff, and I checked out the site.
You say you're paying 110$ a month, for 2 hours a month.
His site says he charges 30$ for 45 minutes.
He's ripping you off by 45 minutes.
Quote by angus fan16
Quote by Froboarder
Half an hour a week isn't going to do much for you, buddy.
I'd recommend taking some sort of music course in school if you can, or just learn on your own like everyone else.

Half an hour a week is more than enough lesson time - at the end of the day a teacher is just there to provide information, they can't learn for you.

He's charging way too much though, most teachers round me charge £10-15 for half an hour, and if you factor in the cost of living against the exchange rate then you're looking at around $20 equivalent cost.

If you've got the motivation and a bit of common sense though there's no reason you need lessons, there's no information a teacher can provide that you can't find out yourself for free.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
same thing happened to me bud,

I do it my own way now, makes it easier with exams nd stuff but theres heaps of internet stuff to help, especially UG
I truly hate that you're the guinea pig here Shadow, but this has been a useful thread for me. Actually, after reading all of the posts on this thread, I'm feeling very disheartened.

I'm 30 years old, don't play guitar, but did minor in music theory while getting my BA in another discipline. I am about to buy my very first guitar and made a recent post with a few questions. Once I receive my new axe (I love being able to say that ^^ ), I am going to take private lessons to learn how to play. I already play several instruments and I also sing, but I've been told reading those forms of music are quite different.

I spent an afternoon at the office last week making calls and getting information on lessons. After speaking to six different instructors in the Asheville, North Carolina area, I've found the average price to be $80 for one 30 minute lesson per week. I found NOTHING cheaper than this, a few were slightly more expensive (nothing above $110), and a couple sessions at 45 minutes. I was unable to find any hour long sessions.

So as you can see, I don't believe you're really being ripped off, but that is on the high end for my location. I don't know about guitar instruction as a whole, but I am completely under the opinion that you cannot beat some good ol' fashioned 1 on 1 instruction in ANY subject when starting out. Books, videos, etc. may be beneficial in the long run, but surely your teacher has been helpful so far. If nothing else, another person should act as a great motivator and help jumpstart your new adventure.

Anyhow... that's just my 2 cent opinion. I can totally sympathize as I am about to jump into the same boat as you.
i Learnt from a guy in my school, $15 for 1 hr and he does professional lessons to other people for $60 for 2 onr hour lessons a week.

Thats what ya get when you play from age 5 and have a music teacher as a father.
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
where I live, all the local music shops only give lessons for 30 min once a week. I basically use my lessons for learning theory and asking questions about stuff I don't understand that I've come across. For the most part, I'm able to learn songs and solos by myself, so I'm pretty sure it's an okay setup
Quote by steven seagull
Half an hour a week is more than enough lesson time - at the end of the day a teacher is just there to provide information, they can't learn for you.

He's charging way too much though, most teachers round me charge £10-15 for half an hour, and if you factor in the cost of living against the exchange rate then you're looking at around $20 equivalent cost.

If you've got the motivation and a bit of common sense though there's no reason you need lessons, there's no information a teacher can provide that you can't find out yourself for free.

thanks you just made me feel soooo much better
If you really want to learn, Guitar Pro is the way to go, It's the best teacher I've ever had.
Quote by paranoid joker

I think having someone to teach you is great. I also agree that there is more than enough material on the net to learn from. I say keep taking the lessons as long as you can afford them. Study everything you can find that's interesting on the internet. If you have questions or problems, that's when a teacher is good to have! Don't let him just show you songs every lesson though....you can do that from home, and it would be wasting money. Maybe you could specify a specific genre that you want to play, and then get him to show you the techniques involved in that.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Money is tight so if I can truly learn on my own then I'll give up this teacher for now. Before the lessons, I looked on youtube a lot but didn't know what sequence to learn things in..so everything is just kind of out there. All this time, I've never clicked on the lessons link on the top of the page. Looks like a lot of stuff can be learned from there.
ULtimately playing a guitar is just playing the songs you like. It's all about enjoying yourself.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant