im not at all good at naming scale progressions and tend to noodle around until i find something that works with what i want my future style to be.

I just recently got deep in to far eastern/Indian Sitar (Thanks Ravi Shankar...) and found a scale that sounded something like what i was hearing.

E:--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A:---7--9------------------------------------------------------------------|
D:----------6--7--9-------------------------------------------------------|
G:---------------------6--7--9--------------------------------------------|
B:--------------------------------7--9--10--------------------------------|
E:---------------------------------------------7--9--10--12--------------|

i know it isnt anything really inventive, but i like the sound of it on a smooth acoustic setting with a shy phaser and echo
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
That'd look to be B Dorian if memory serves. One of the modes of A Major.

If you're looking for something a very Eastern feel, go for Harmonic Minor. It's got a distinctly Eastern feel to it.
starts and ends on E... therefore E mixolydian. So yes its a mode of A major. Also look at trying some interesting modes of the harmonic minor scale... Phrygian Dominant and Lydian dominant are both good. In E these scales are:

Phrygian Dominant:
E F G# A B C D E
(Sounds very eastern)

Lydian Dominant:
E F# G# A# B C# D E
wow thanks! ive heard alot of harmic minor talk from Neo-classical artists, but i never thought it could be used for this too. i'll definitely look into it right now
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
Harmonic minor is pretty versatile, can be used for more ethnically inspired music, neoclassical, and even various metal subgenres. Just up to you how you apply it.
Lol I just played the scale and as soon as i did the first part of that one song that goes "what if god was one of us" sounded just like the first few notes of that scale.

Play 7-9-9
6-7-9-9
Last edited by CoreyM. at Oct 15, 2008,