Page 1 of 2
so yeah, earlier, i was opening up my amp (b-52 at 1-12) to see what kind of tubes it has so i could get some different ones. this was my first tube amp so i was kind of confused at first. i have the b-52 at 112 combo, and i took out the head part, and that went badly. then i took out the cage on the bottom cause the head part was stuck. and then when i took out the cage, some of the wires got loose. on the cage had the speaker cable that connects to the input jack of the head part.

here are the two wires that got loose. i dont know where they are supposed to be. please help.
thank you

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/iwearblackbracelets/IMG_6996.jpg
they look like the positive and negative wires that connect to the speaker they probably just slip on at the back near the magnet.
i found this quite humorous, i dont know why.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
please tell us you found the contact posts on the speaker by now.

let's just help him get his amp back together so this thread can ride off into the sunset.

red is positive. Don't take anything else apart please.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 15, 2008,
If there wasn't anything wrong with it you should have just NOT taken it out.
So did you reconnect the two wires to the speaker? They just clip back on. You shouldn't mess with the innards for an amp if you don't know what you are doing. You could get the shock of your life, ending it. Seriously.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yes, please don't be the third person i've witnessed on here this summer that went messing around inside their amp only to never come back and report in.

Seriously?

If i may ask, who?
O O

___
Quote by ughhhhhhhh

This

Quote by TheEsupremacy

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDdd this.
Quote by nick54321
contract post? im sorry but im kinda new at this

contact posts. it is generally a bad idea to take things apart without first drawing a diagram of how to put it back together or at least have a basic knowledge of how the device works in order to figure it out yourself. but those wires are the positive and negative leads to your speaker, the red goes on the positive contact of your speaker's input. look near the magnet you should see 2 metal contacts that those wires connect to. i'm not familiar with the particular amp or speaker so i can't help much more than that without picutres
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Quote by nick54321
contract post? im sorry but im kinda new at this

yeah, sorry, i meant contact post. You pulled the wires off of those originally right? Just push them back on. We realize you are new at this. ALWAYs make sure you document what you are doing so you know how to put things back as mentioned.
sorry, but you knew i had to have a pic for this.

look for the + and - on the speaker.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
What a dolt.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
no i didnt "mean" to take those wires out. i was just taking out the cage cause i wanted to take a look at my tubes because my friend told me to change my tubes for a better sound. and when i took the cage out, i had no idea that the cage had the speaker cable on it and that it was connected to the speaker. =\

anyway, i think i got it, im not sure but is this the "contact post" thingy that you're supposed to connect it to?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/iwearblackbracelets/IMG_6998.jpg

and on each side, there are like three prongs, does it matter which prong it goes on?

and on my amp it doesnt say if its positive or negative, so i just randomly clipped them on, but i didn't turn it on yet, so does this look right? =\

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/iwearblackbracelets/IMG_6999.jpg

thanks (=
Speakers don't really have a positive or negative, so it doesn't matter which wire goes to which clip. The positive and negative for speakers only matters when you have more than one.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
+1^ i brought up the + and -, because your title said speakerS. so i wasnt sure.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

allright thanks guys, i'll test it out later and let you know, hopefully i dont die, as some people said that it might happen . i just need to screw the head part back into the amp, which im having trouble at, cause i thought we had to unscrew the four big screws on top of the combo, and take out the head part (with all the knobs) out. but i screwed up big time D:
nah you should be ok, make sure the tubes are in and the speaker wires are attached into the head and to the speaker.

if it goes on and warms up and still makes no noise turn it right off.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by nick54321
allright thanks guys, i'll test it out later and let you know, hopefully i dont die, as some people said that it might happen . i just need to screw the head part back into the amp, which im having trouble at, cause i thought we had to unscrew the four big screws on top of the combo, and take out the head part (with all the knobs) out. but i screwed up big time D:

Haha, you won't die if your speakers are not corrected properly.

You will die if you touch a capacitor that hasn't been drained though. Well, not always, but there's a good chance you will.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by nick54321
no i didnt "mean" to take those wires out. i was just taking out the cage cause i wanted to take a look at my tubes because my friend told me to change my tubes for a better sound. and when i took the cage out, i had no idea that the cage had the speaker cable on it and that it was connected to the speaker. =\

anyway, i think i got it, im not sure but is this the "contact post" thingy that you're supposed to connect it to?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/iwearblackbracelets/IMG_6998.jpg

and on each side, there are like three prongs, does it matter which prong it goes on?

and on my amp it doesnt say if its positive or negative, so i just randomly clipped them on, but i didn't turn it on yet, so does this look right? =\

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/iwearblackbracelets/IMG_6999.jpg

thanks (=

yeah, you should be good. Didn't mean to scare you but it was confusing as to what you had taken apart and such. I just didn't want you to go too far in taking things apart only to get a shock of life time. And yes, we've had several people on here in the past 2 or 3 months that were working on their amp, had a question, and never came back to say thanks or need more help or anything. Not saying they died. Just tryin to help.

+1 to the others that tried to help too.
and just asking, which tubes should i change it to, or should i just keep it. because i heard from my friend that the amps usually come with "low-end" cheap tubes, and i should change them. it comes with 12ax7's (i think thats how you spell it). so what should i change it to. thanks (=
^don't know.

you guys need a 'The Only B-52 Thread'

Seriously, unless you feel like you need to change your tone I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get your chance to mess with new tubes later. Just IMO. Now put that sucker back together and send us a clippy so we can validate.

Glad you're still with us. You should be fine on the speaker, Jen and her pics are worth their weight in gold. (Not a reference to what anyone weighs).
As far as tubes go, you would have to know what you don't like about the tone and what you want to change in order to suggest replacements.
hmm im just asking this cause im really confused about the tubes in my amp. okay there are 5 small tubes (im guessing its pre amp) and two big tubes (power tubes?). 3 of the small tubes are 12AX7EH electro harmonix (made in russia), but only two of them have the silver shield thing around it, that you have to twist to take off. and the other two small ones are 12AX7B? made in china.

and then there are two big ones (the power tubes?) but i couldnt see what brand or where its made.

so my questions are

are the 5 small tubes the pre amp tubes, and the two big ones the power tubes? i thought that there were supposed to be more power tubes than pre amp tubes

and if this amp needs "biasing" or can i just take off and put another one on without doing anything. thanks (=
Yes the two big ones are the power tubes and the rest are your preamp tubes. I don't know if you can bias the B-52 or not. If you could you would only bias the power tubes. Will check on biasing a b-52. Edit: Yes it can be done, so a set of matched power tubes and biasing when you want to change tubes. Some people don't feel you need to bias when buying a matched pair of power tubes - others say you should because you see a positive effect in tone not realized otherwise.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 15, 2008,
I searched on 'B-52 and biasing' in the search bar and found this thread. Last post makes sense to me. Google can help too.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=972354&highlight=B-52+biasing

PM that dude if you're still not sure.
Yes, you don't need bias it, but biasing does help to tweak that last bit of tone out of the amp.
oh man im scared . i slipped on the red and white wires to the contact post already, and then when i turned it on, left it on standby for a while, and played, a little bit of sound came out of the clean channel, and when i switched to distortion, there was a tiny little pop.

and then i got scared so i shut it off.

then i turned it back on, now there is no noise. whats wrong

edit: nevermind, i just stuck the wires on different prongs and it works fine now. thanks for everything guys!
Last edited by nick54321 at Oct 15, 2008,
Good to hear, the popping was probably just a tube amp being a tube amp. Glad to hear you've got everything working. Let this be a lesson, if you don't know what you're doing, either don't do it, or learn how before you take it apart.
yeah, im never doing that again . but when tube changing time comes, i'll probably have to open it up again ahaha
Page 1 of 2