I've been looking around at pedals and effects to build my new rig and i was wondering what a eq pedal really did. I see people use it as a boost but it sounds kinda bad. but if it can really like change mids highs lows and everything in between i guess that's worth spendin money on.
So can anyone tell me what exactly its for and if i have a boost pedal would i need an eq? Also is it worth the money?

i was looking at the mxr m-109 specifically.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
I've read good things about the 10 Band MXR, but I've also read good things about the Boss GE-7....I own a GE-7 and think it is crap. So I would expect the cheap M-109 isn't great either. Some serious EQs are $1000s, so expect to get what you pay for. A used $100-200 rack EQ may be worthwhile.
it's an eq pedal...it allows you more tonal range in wich to fine tune your eq.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by 4regt4
I've read good things about the 10 Band MXR, but I've also read good things about the Boss GE-7....I own a GE-7 and think it is crap. So I would expect the cheap M-109 isn't great either. Some serious EQs are $1000s, so expect to get what you pay for. A used $100-200 rack EQ may be worthwhile.

what dont you like about it?
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Quote by slayer_zero
what dont you like about it?

It is noisy and colors up the tone quite a bit, making it sound very digital with certain settings. I got a Mark IV recently and the on-board 5 band EQ tracks perfectly with no odd coloration, so clearly the GE-7 is doing something wrong. However, more frequency options would be desirable.
yea every review i saw about the ge-7 said something about noise. i guess the best way to know is just to try it out :/
Quote by slayer_zero
yea every review i saw about the ge-7 said something about noise. i guess the best way to know is just to try it out :/

The fact about all things on the market is that you can get your mind set on something and there will always be glowing reviews for it somewhere to point you in the wrong direction. I started playing guitar 12 years ago thinking Gibson and Fender made the best guitars and that Boss made the best pedals. Had I taken lessons at a shop that didn't primarily market those things, I may have thought differently, but ultimately I've discovered that my preferences can never be decided by the reviews of others.