Poll: Which one? (PLZ READ THREAD FIRST)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one? (PLZ READ THREAD FIRST)
ESP LTD B-50
6 29%
OLP MM2
7 33%
Other
8 38%
Voters: 21.
Ok guys. I'm a lefty and I play guitar, and I wanna play bass. I'm not a total noob; I've messed around on a few right handed basses and my best friend is an accomplished bassist, and I've done my research. So this isn't an uneducated decision.

I already have the amp sorted: it's a 1x14 100-watt Ibanez combo from the 70's I was also thinking I could sometimes use my guitar amp (in sig); it's ok in a pinch, right?

Here we go. Budget: $300 (Including strings/cases and other paraphanelia)

Option 1: ESP LTD B-50 ($210)

For the price, I think it's a pretty darn good deal. All the reviews I've read say the same, and that it's a great beginner bass that will last a while. Plus, since it's well under my budget, I can buy nice new strings and I might buy a hard case as well.

Link to product: http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/bass-guitars/bass-guitars/Esp/B50-BKLH.asp

Option 2: OLP MusicMan 2 ($290)

I don't know as much about this bass or about OLP specifically, but I haven't heard any really bad things about it. I really like the Music Man style, and the tone and looks of the single massive humbucker. Notice on the product page the price is $260, but there is an option for a $30 gig bag which I would include (there's no way I'm leaving it unprotected). This bass is at the limit of my budget and I wouldn't even be able to upgrade strings for a while.

Link to product: http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/olp/mm2.htm

Option 3: Something else (GSR200FM?)

I'm open to other options. I'm sure some of you will recommend the Ibanez GSR200FM ($280 from MF), but unless you can convince me that it's worlds better than the above two choices, I'm not getting one. Mainly because my aforementioned friend owns a GSR200 (no FM), and I didn't particularly like the feel, plus the fact that he owns it and I don't want to get the same thing.

Conclusion

I'm leaning towards the ESP and the MM2 is a close second. I'm also browsing Craigslist, but I'd rather go new.
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
Do they even make the GSR200FM in lefty? I have one right now, and i love it. But really i'd just say try them out and get the one YOU like best.
Gear:
Ibanez GSR200FM
Ibanez SW35 amp

Jackson JS30RR
Cheap fender amp

Getting a better guitar amp after christmas.

I'd Go OLP

I'd probably have one now if when I was in the market I wasn't so young and brand hungry.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
First off--don't dismiss used. There are some stellar deals out there, esp. right now. The EBMM FL I own that people tend to lust after was a used consignment instrument. Unless someone has seriously abused a bass, a used instrument means you can get so much more quality for you dollar.

I am not a fan of OLP or ESP low end basses, so I really don't feel I can recommend one over the other. As a lefty, you do have some challenges in selecting basses, since the selection can be limited at times. My advice here is to list out all of the qualities you are looking for in a bass (sound, feel ,wood, pickup configuration etc etc) and then hit a music store and start trying out basses that meet that description, even if they are beyond your budget at this time. Then go back and hit Craiglist, ebay, your local shop and internet sites and start some serious price comparison shopping.

Good luck!
Quote by NinJaaaaaaaaaah
Do they even make the GSR200FM in lefty? I have one right now, and i love it. But really i'd just say try them out and get the one YOU like best.

Yep: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200FM-LeftHanded-Bass-?sku=511841

Quote by ZaccB
I'd Go OLP

I'd probably have one now if when I was in the market I wasn't so young and brand hungry.

Wise words. I now kinda feel the same way about my guitar

Quote by anarkee
First off--don't dismiss used. There are some stellar deals out there, esp. right now. The EBMM FL I own that people tend to lust after was a used consignment instrument. Unless someone has seriously abused a bass, a used instrument means you can get so much more quality for you dollar.

I am not a fan of OLP or ESP low end basses, so I really don't feel I can recommend one over the other. As a lefty, you do have some challenges in selecting basses, since the selection can be limited at times. My advice here is to list out all of the qualities you are looking for in a bass (sound, feel ,wood, pickup configuration etc etc) and then hit a music store and start trying out basses that meet that description, even if they are beyond your budget at this time. Then go back and hit Craiglist, ebay, your local shop and internet sites and start some serious price comparison shopping.

Good luck!

Wow, very informative and helpful. You guys gave me lots of help.

Any more takers? After hearing anarkee's advice, here's some more info:

- I like the sound of P pickups a bit better than J
- Don't have experience with humbuckers
- Only ever played rosewood fretboards, and I like them
- Try to get something lightweight; it'll be a shock coming from my already featherweight SG. Not that I'm a wimp, weight is not a deal breaker
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
Check out Ebay. I got a lefty fender jazz bass for $300 with a case a couple weeks ago. You just gotta keep your eye open.
The Squier VM series P basses are great for a starter.You should also check out Peavey, they make some great beginner basses also.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
The Squier VM series P basses are great for a starter.You should also check out Peavey, they make some great beginner basses also.

+1, Squier VM P will be perfect if you both
A) like split coil sound
B) hate the feel of a really thin neck

and +1 on the used bass, I found my Schecter for 400, it was easily the best bass in store at that price.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i would get the ltd, they are good basses
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Dont Buy The Olp! Whatever You Do! It Was Teh Worst Bass I Ever Owned!!!!!!!!
Try adding more delay.