ive just got a couple of questions about guitar theyre probably pretty obvious but im just a beginner.
1. what do the 7 or 12 string guitars do, do they let you get lower or higher notes or somethin else
and 2. iv only been playin for like 5 or 6 months so im stil just learning on an acoustic and i was wondering wat the difference between having nylon strings or steel strings

thanks for your help
7 string guitars have an extra low B, 12 strings have the strings arranged in harmonised pairs so you get a fuller sond, however for playing purposes you treat them the same as a normal 6 string.

Nylon strings have a mellower sound and don't sustain as much as steel strings, however you can't chop and change on the same guitar - classical guitars don't have a truss rod in the neck due to the lower tension of the strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i. basicly, the 7th string is lower than the 6th sring, so if your guitar is tuned to EADGBE, the 7th string will be a B; BEADGBE. as for a 12 string guitar, it has 6 pairs of strings, with each pair spaced close together. so the 6th string on a regular is represented by the 11th and 12th, they are still tuned to E, but the thinner of the two strings is an octave higher, if any of that makes sence to any one, congrats!

ii. classical guitars are commonly fitted with nylon strings bacause they do not have a truss rod in the neck, if you where thinking about fitting your classical guitar with steel strings, FORGET IT! the steel strings are far stronger and consequently will warp the neck of your guitar if it dosent have a truss rod.

hope this helps

Quote by steven seagull
7 string guitars have an extra low B, 12 strings have the strings arranged in harmonised pairs so you get a fuller sond, however for playing purposes you treat them the same as a normal 6 string.

Nylon strings have a mellower sound and don't sustain as much as steel strings, however you can't chop and change on the same guitar - classical guitars don't have a truss rod in the neck due to the lower tension of the strings.

this guys explanation is much more understandable!
Uhhh, I will say I've had classical guitars with a truss rod and I'm fairly sure my mind doesn't serve me incorrectly. Anything with neck and made of wood that you would place any type of tension on, would need a truss to avoid warpage.

String spacing is different on a Classical though, due to the fact that they are primarily finger picked. But all in all, Agree with Steven.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
I did look it up and some actually do have Adjustable truss rod's but you won't find it on a stradivarius or anything, those do have non adjustables. . . . Just felt like I should add that bit of knowledge since I did take the time to google it.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris