Hey all.

Thats right, my valveking 212 blew up on me again, and it was because of the footswitch again

for those of you that missed my first horrorstory post, heres the link https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16647884#post16647884

the nob had arced and leaked acid out again. words cannot tell how pissed off i am at peaveys manufacturing services. they have a good name but this proves they need to ****ing clean up their act or they will be known as piles of shit.

Should i buy another valveking from another store or look for another amp? if so, what?

DO NOT DENY THAT IT WAS THE FOOTSWITCH AS I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT IT IS.

thanks.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Oct 15, 2008,
my VK blew up too, and I've heard of several other instances of this happening as well. My Verdict: they are very low quality amps and should be avoided (they don't really sound that good anyway, my old Fender solid state sounds better) so I suggest getting something else entirely.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Send a heated letter to Peavey, requesting either a free replacement or your money back. State that this is not the first time your VK has broke down, and also state that you've had to spend money on getting it repaired (which I presume you have?).

If you get your money back, perhaps look into a different amp if you are dissatisfied with the VK
Last year my VK blew up too. You're far from the only one.
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Last year my VK blew up too. You're far from the only one.

This is the third time in about a week....
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by SOADriff
This is the third time in about a week....

Yeah actually the store I bought mine from stopped selling them and returned all of the unsold ones because 3/4 of the ones they sold blew up due to bad wiring and/or faulty output transformers.

Last.fm
Yay! Your post has a sequel!

But seriously, I agree with Math. Definitely take action and let Peavey know what they did. And preferably get either a replacement VK or your money back.

If you do get your money back (and I assume you play hard rock/metal) then I suggest getting one of these:

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_RG50TC%201x12%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amplifier_-1_10052_10002_-49975104

It's also a 50W tube amp for that kind of music.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Yay! Your post has a sequel!

threequel =)

i dunno about the randall, plus im not sure if music stores in perth stock them.
Quote by Mad Marius
I don't really give gear a second chance.

for me it needs to be perfect cuz if its ****ed up then I can't gig and make some cash.

get your money back and buy something else.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Mathamology
Send a heated letter to Peavey, requesting either a free replacement or your money back. State that this is not the first time your VK has broke down, and also state that you've had to spend money on getting it repaired (which I presume you have?).

If you get your money back, perhaps look into a different amp if you are dissatisfied with the VK

Your post cracked me up. Obviously you've never had to deal with Peavey customer service. I love my Peavey amps, but their customer service flat out sucks. They won't care or do anything for the OP. They will just tell him to take it back. I'm still waiting for some free tubes they promised me in July.
Okay, just so this doesn't turn into a whole thread of "WHAH WHAH WHAHHH MY VALVEKING BROKE TOOO!!!! "
There are also a LOT of people who are really happy with their valveking, and have had theirs for a few years now, with no problems.
Don't give the VK a bad rep, because you yourself said it was the footswitch. Well, buy another footswitch. Boss mades a pretty good one.

And another thing:
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
My Verdict: they are very low quality amps and should be avoided (they don't really sound that good anyway, my old Fender solid state sounds better) so I suggest getting something else entirely.
Please, no one take this seriously, it's an opinion. And a bad/inexperienced one at that.

Sorry for my ranting.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
Okay, just so this doesn't turn into a whole thread of "WHAH WHAH WHAHHH MY VALVEKING BROKE TOOO!!!! "
There are also a LOT of people who are really happy with their valveking, and have had theirs for a few years now, with no problems.
Don't give the VK a bad rep, because you yourself said it was the footswitch. Well, buy another footswitch. Boss mades a pretty good one.

And another thing:Please, no one take this seriously, it's an opinion. And a bad/inexperienced one at that.

Sorry for my ranting.

The amp has done this with two separate footswitches now.

Valvekings are cheap, sub par amps. People waffle on about changing the tubes and speakers, but by the time you've done that you could've got a far superior amp for the same price.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by TheBax

And another thing:Please, no one take this seriously, it's an opinion. And a bad/inexperienced one at that.

So your opinion is good and his is bad? Can I have some backup for that claim?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by TheBax

Sorry for my ranting.

Which is exactly why several other people have the exact same complaints

I'm just going to assume you own a VK and put this down to fanboyism.

Last.fm
I don't know about FAR superior, it depends on the person's preference.
All i've done is change out the speaker, and do he dummy plug and FX loop cable tricks, and i love mine. (With an OD of course).

I just hate it when people rant about how horrible they are because they've heard some rumors... and they've played one stock one at a shop one time.

Stock just doesn't compare to when you get it home, and set it up perfectly to your tastes.
This amp really does have some soul to it, you just gotta find it. And sometimes that requires a little bit of work, but nonetheless, it's there.

Again sorry for my ranting, but that just seems to be one of my buttons, lol.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
I don't know about FAR superior, it depends on the person's preference.
All i've done is change out the speaker, and do he dummy plug and FX loop cable tricks, and i love mine. (With an OD of course).

I just hate it when people rant about how horrible they are because they've heard some rumors... and they've played one stock one at a shop one time.

Stock just doesn't compare to when you get it home, and set it up perfectly to your tastes.
This amp really does have some soul to it, you just gotta find it. And sometimes that requires a little bit of work, but nonetheless, it's there.

Again sorry for my ranting, but that just seems to be one of my buttons, lol.

How much you like the tone has nothing to do with them having a tendency to blow up. Also, I can find better amps for the same price, let alone with the extra $100+ USD you'd save on modding the VK.

Last.fm
Quote by Fama
So your opinion is good and his is bad? Can I have some backup for that claim?

No, it's preference, like i said. But these aren't horrible amps.
I said "don't take this seriously" because these amps are far more than he was putting them up to be.
O O

___
Oh, i know they've got a tendency to blow up. But not ALL of them. Like i said, there are some people who have had theirs for years, with no problems.
I just didn't want this thread to be a big bashing thread like the VK is some kind of Spider or something.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
How much you like the tone has nothing to do with them having a tendency to blow up. Also, I can find better amps for the same price, let alone with the extra $100+ USD you'd save on modding the VK.
I bought mine used. $280. And after mods, i spent a total of $345.

that's really not all that much for an amp (in my opinion) this good.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by TheBax
No, it's preference, like i said. But these aren't horrible amps.
I said "don't take this seriously" because these amps are far more than he was putting them up to be.

well tone is obviously subjective, but these have a reputation for very poor reliability that I have experienced first hand, and that is something that should be taken very seriously.
Quote by TheBax
Oh, i know they've got a tendency to blow up. But not ALL of them. Like i said, there are some people who have had theirs for years, with no problems.
I just didn't want this thread to be a big bashing thread like the VK is some kind of Spider or something.

Yeah but in buying one you're essentialy taking a gambe that you'll get one that's ok, which really isn't a good idea since it's not that great of an amp anyway.

Last.fm
For a company to sell a product for a lower price some corners must be cut to reduce costs. Most companies now are willing to settle for a certain allowable failure rate, up to 20% many times. To them thats 8 happy customers for every 2 ticked off ones they could reduce the failure rate but would then either raise the cost of the amp and lower sales or reduce profits. Quality and longevity are no longer the priority now its profits above all. If they made amps like they did in the sixties that seem to last forever then they wouldnt sell as many units. Its just modern business practices.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well tone is obviously subjective, but these have a reputation for very poor reliability that I have experienced first hand, and that is something that should be taken very seriously.

Yeah but in buying one you're essentialy taking a gambe that you'll get one that's ok, which really isn't a good idea since it's not that great of an amp anyway.

Yeah, you've got a point.
Only way i can see in taking less of a gamble would be buy a used one... y'know, get one that's already got some miles on it, so it won't be a "dud."

I just hope my VK lasts a while.

And another thing... i guess the channel switchers have a bad rep, too, now?
I'm getting a Boss (something, i forgot) pedal if i ever get one.
O O

___
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It is a Boss FS-5 or FS-6

Thank you.

EDIT: Either the FS-5L or the FS-6.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Oct 15, 2008,
Does anybody else find it weird that a footswitch is killing this amp? I mean, I guess anything is possible but this just seems strange to me. Cue the Steve Laney thread kid who knows a shitload about electronics for an answer here...
dude, that sucks man. I personally love my VK, and have the footswitch for it.. Do you have an off brand footswitch or the peavey one?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Personally, I find the VK switch to be a disapointing pile of toss.

£20 (although I blagged mine for free at sound control... RIP...) for a piece of cheap plastic with cheap wiring.

Never had it blow my amp though! Though I do experience the dreaded 'delay' between channel switching, which is why I'm gonna get a VOX for clean and A/B between them

EDIT: wow, thought I was posting in the Only VK thread! Ah well, still applicable here
Last edited by Mathamology at Oct 15, 2008,
mmm...speaking for myself, I've never yet met a peavey product that I thought was worth much...a least-common-denominator company making poorly-engineered, poorly-made midlevel crap from cheap and unreliable parts.

i have had four peavey amps over the last 20 years, and only the first (Classic 50w 2x12, ca. 1984) DIDN'T die completely.
I, personally, really love my VK. I threw a new speaker in it and now I prefer the tone to a Mesa Express or JCM 2000; I find it great for me. This is all my opinion, though. Don't get your feathers ruffled because I like it better than your precious Mesa Expresses and Marshall JCM 2000s.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Does anybody else find it weird that a footswitch is killing this amp? I mean, I guess anything is possible but this just seems strange to me. Cue the Steve Laney thread kid who knows a shitload about electronics for an answer here...

I do, thats the first time I have ever heard of a footswitch blowing any amp let along a VK. I've ran a number of footswitchs threw mine with no ill effects and half of them were even the wrong ones and still no issues. Im not quite a believer on this one yet...
I paid $718 for my VK, and I don't think I could've gotten something better for that much money. Why? Because of import taxes and weight restrictions.

I've heard bad things about the footswitch - the delay, the fact that it's plastic, etc - which is why I went and bought a Vox VFS2 instead - but I've never heard of this with any amp before, or much about reliability problems with the VK...

Hope OP gets to the bottom of this.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
thank you all for your help. im going to try and convince my parents to let me get another one with a different footswitch. if that fails then **** peavey. thanks again.
Quote by Mad Marius
my VK hasnt given me one prob, maybe you have bad luck :-)

**knocks on wood** lolol