I know a lot of you guys are too busy fapping or trolling to actually want to read all of this, but to those who do, i hope you find this story as endearing as i do...

About 3 months ago, i started working in a residential respite centre for children with special needs (it's a hotel style place where parents send their children for a week or so to get some time to themselves, as living with SN children is a tough job).

One day I was asked to work with a young man aged 16 with severe autism and many other disabilities. He has absolutely no speech and is generally unaware of his surroundings, however he always takes musical toys around with him everywhere he goes.

I noticed one day that he had a small toy keyboard with him and he was playing an ABAC rythym on it... completely unaided and he kept in time as well as any metronome.

I asked if i could work with him again on my next shift, and when i came in i brought my guitar.

He was slumped down in a corner of the centre with his keyboard again, playing another tune, in perfect time.

I got my guitar out and started strumming a few chords and grabbed his attention.

He stopped what he was doing and stared at me so i played an open note on the high E string.

To my amazement, he instantly hit the high E note on his keyboard and held it for as long as i did.

Basically, after about half an hour i was playing single note tunes such as twinkle twinkle little star and he was copying me.

I then played the first few bars of stairway to heaven, which not only did he copy almost 100% accurately, but he also laughed.

My boss was watching in amazement as this 16year old boy had rarely, if ever, shown any sort of emotion.

He comes into the centre a lot as his parents find it very hard to look after him due to him needing 24/7 care, so my boss has got me working with him as much as she can and everytime i come in, he gets excited and makes lots of noises.

I have heard of, and studied autistic sauvants (autistic people with amazing skills such as the Rain Man) but this child is something different, he is almost constantly in a vegetative state.

Anyways, I thought i'd share with you guys, something that has really made my job, and playing the guitar unbelievable satisfying.

I'm interested to know if any of you have had any similar experiences?
That os truly awesome man... warm fuzzies

you should train him up until he surpasses you, kinda like how the Sith lord apprentice always tries to kill his master in the star wars universe
<.<
>.>
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
I read the whole story, it must be a awesome feeling man !
I have no stories, but it's interesting how music can change people, in a good way

wow that made my day
try and do a tour around some of the centers in your area im sure hed love that so would every one at the centers
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Wow, that's pretty amazing. I really respect what you do, and that story is something else.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by druz15_UG
That os truly awesome man... warm fuzzies

you should train him up until he surpasses you, kinda like how the Sith lord apprentice always tries to kill his master in the star wars universe
<.<
>.>

u just ruined one of the nicest stories ive ever read. a$$hat.

on topic, congrats man
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
yeah it's really nice, i've been training as a primary school teacher for the past 3 years and i decided to take a year out after graduating.

obviously my main passion is teaching kids all aspects of the curriculum, i'm pretty musical so i'm thinking in the future i'd love to work in a special needs school as a music coordinator at some point.

glad you guys took the time to read all of that lol.
thats awesome!
nice work
i hope it all continues to go well
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
You officially get respect. Not just for working in a care home, but for making a kid's life more enjoyable.

Next, you must train him to be a Pokémon master.
That's because Autistic people are naturally more predisposed to having absolute pitch.
dude that is so damn awesome my god you are a champion and so is that guy
keep it up
and document it
I watched a program on this type of thing. They see the world in a simple way, they usually have great memory too.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
That's brilliant. It must be a great feeling to have such a positive impact on people's lives, especially through music. I have so much respect for people like you; my cousin works with people with special needs, so I appreciate how hard it is. I know I couldn't do it; kudos to you sir
Hand him the guitar? See what he can do with it? You might be even more surprised than you already are
that is such an awesome story
wish i had a similar story
teach him to play solos on his keyboard
Kerry King Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only

Quote by dehollister

and im 14 got any problems ill f*ckin drop you.

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
Spooni_Shaq is the best UGer ever, period
Wow man if we had rep on here you would get it and I am speechless. :O

EDIT: Infact get him in your band!

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

i thought about handing him a guitar, but he has very little coordination between his hands and his fingers, he's fine playing single notes but i think the guitar would baffle him... maybe i'll try him on my brothers bass one day, bigger frets and more space between strings.

thanks for all the positive comments, there are some nice guys in the pit!
I really don't know how to comprehend how awesome that is man
kudo to u
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
thankssss... i have a shift with him tomorrow so i'll let you know how it goes, i'm looking to see if he can actually absorb the notes and recall them at a later point, or if it's literally just hearing and copying.
I had butterflies in my stomach after that.
That was very moving. Good job man..
That's brilliant. Can't say I've ever had anything like that, but that'd be one of those things that'd just make your day.

Closest thing I've had would be when I was about 12-13, I took my electric guitar into school.
I'd only been playing a little while, so I was still pretty bad, but I started (trying) to play "What's My Age Again?" by Blink 182. One of the student teachers walked past, and recognised the song, and he looked at me and said: "Play some real music, fag!"

Didn't see him again after that.
Member of the Laney Cult
Lol @Jayne Sucks.

TS, that is a great story. Well done to you for giving that boy a lot of joy.
Yours sincerely,

bobwentpop, UG's favourite spontaneous combustion victim.
Don't you mean AC/DC?
Or do you mean the ABCs?

See if he can play the solos from like Knocking on Heavens Door by Gnr.
U have just gained my deepest respect its good to see there are still a few good people left in the pit
My Gear

Fender 2006 Highway 1 Stratocaster with SD Hot rails on Bridge
ESP LTD F-104 Bass
Roland Cube 30
Boss 0D 20 Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by Shyne
i thought about handing him a guitar, but he has very little coordination between his hands and his fingers, he's fine playing single notes but i think the guitar would baffle him... maybe i'll try him on my brothers bass one day, bigger frets and more space between strings.

thanks for all the positive comments, there are some nice guys in the pit!
'

I worked for the Autism Center in my state and had a 16 year old boy also with autism. He wasnt quite in vegatative state as he went to school but pretty autistic. Anyways I use to bring my guitar to play while he was having his free time and he picked it up and within minutes playing smoke on the water, iron man, and others. obviously he was just playing one note versions but he was playing them correctly to key. As time went on he could pretty much play any songs on the radio we were listening to. The only bad thing was he didn't have the cognative skills to play more then one string at a time, nor did he have the finger strength.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Don't you mean AC/DC?
Or do you mean the ABCs?

See if he can play the solos from like Knocking on Heavens Door by Gnr.

ABAC is a form.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.