Hi UG,

I'm looking for a microphone to record my guitar through my amp. I recently bought the M-audio Firewire 410 interface and it should arrive any day now. Now i still need a microphone to record...
Today i was looking trough my father's stuff and i found a vintage sennheiser mic: 'the sennheiser md 421 HL'.

Now all i hear is get the shure sm 57... But does somebody knows how this sennheiser matches up to the shure sm 57?

Does any one have any experience at all with this mic?

ps; I will be recording trough a fender bandmaster with 2X12 Celesteion greenbacks

What to do? Any help?

Thanks in advance!
It is a good mic, but not for guitar really. if i was you i'd try and pick up a nice dynamic mic maybe used. just look around and you'll see something
Ok, i'm already glad that it's something good. But do you mean its better for vocals than instruments?
And wich dynamic mice do you suggest?
And isn't the sennheiser dynamic to?

thanks for your fast reply

EDIT: i was googling again but without the 'HL' behind the name, and i found alot more information. Even harmony central reviews:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Microphone/product/Sennheiser/MD-421/10/1

Does the 'HL' changes the microphone bad? Or is it just the same?
From the reviews i read, it looks a pretty good catch and better for amp recording than the shure sm 57.
Are there more people who think this?
Last edited by oxokoning at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by oxokoning
Hi UG,

I'm looking for a microphone to record my guitar through my amp. I recently bought the M-audio Firewire 410 interface and it should arrive any day now.

Hey man,

Can't you just use your amp's lineout and plug it in to the 410? Or plug guitar straight in and then add effects with some software like Amplitube?

I nearly got one fo those 410s second hand for £80, but I was beaten to it.
That Sennheiser's a classic. It should be able to handle intense vocals and guitar amps without a sweat. Give it a try, seriously...you might get an interesting sound out of your amp that a normal SM57 cannot do. Just make sure the output is XLR.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by saphrax
Hey man,

Can't you just use your amp's lineout and plug it in to the 410? Or plug guitar straight in and then add effects with some software like Amplitube?

I nearly got one fo those 410s second hand for £80, but I was beaten to it.

I don't have a line out on my amp and i think it's just better to record ith microphone
Seriously. You don't want that mic.

Being the kind-hearted benevolent guy I am, I will even take it off your hands free of charge. Ah,,,, I'll even send you $10 for your troubles.

PM me and we'll get 'er done. Always glad to help out with this sort of thing.

CT

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=000984
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I've gotten some great high gain recordings using the 421. Had a very smooth tone once tracked. Also works great on toms and kick drums believe it or not.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
That Sennheiser's a classic. It should be able to handle intense vocals and guitar amps without a sweat. Give it a try, seriously...you might get an interesting sound out of your amp that a normal SM57 cannot do. Just make sure the output is XLR.

+1 on trying the MD421 mic. I see it used on drums a lot as overheads and for toms but mics can be used on just about anything. Try it and see what you get.