Will this kinda hand position affect my playing and stuff in the long run ?
Is this like anchoring?
Last edited by Joshua_Krunch at Oct 15, 2008,
It looks pretty normal to me, nothing wrong about that I think.

EDIT: Nothing wrong about anchoring.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
I just said theres nothing wrong about anchoring, cant really see if you are anchoring. Are you like, having your little finger on the guitar? Do you know what anchoring is? xD
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Fender acoustic

Line6 POD HD500

This is anchoring. Resting for example your little finger on the pickguard.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Fender acoustic

Line6 POD HD500
Quote by Joshua_Krunch

Will this kinda hand position affect my playing and stuff in the long run ?
Is this like anchoring?

It's impossible to tell from a picture to be honest but I'll give you a couple of pointers:

1 - Your hand position or shape doesn't really matter as long as you're relaxed while playing.

2 - Anchoring isn't bad per se but it's worth saying that most people who anchor find that it limits their range of movement and introduces huge amounts of tension into their picking hand and arm which is what you really need to avoid. For some more detailed information see the anchoring sticky in the AT forum.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Joshua_Krunch
is it ok for me to do that..?

Well I would say that you should avoid most forms of contact with the guitar, rest your forearm on the body by all means, rest your hand lightly on the bridge as long as it's not fixed in one spot but anything past that is probably not a good idea.

Is there any way you could post a video? That way I could give some much more specific advice if you need any.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Joshua_Krunch
You got msn? i cant upload my vid ._.

Yeah, should be the address in my profile, hit me up whenever you want; I should be online basically all evening after I've had some food.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I personally choose not to anchor my pinkie because it causes my hand to have less movement and more stress. I've tried about every approach to picking and I finally found what works best for me, so you gotta go with what's most comfortable. Everyone has a different hand structure. I personally like my picking hand to just float.

www.guitarticles.net
I see you have that Telecaster-esque Ibanez.
How is it? Is the neck thin or thick? Pickups sound good?
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Its up to the guitarist if they want to anchor. Page, Beck, Clapton, and steve vai anchor. But then again joe satriani, malmsteen, and jimi hendrix didn't.
Quote by sesstreets
Its up to the guitarist if they want to anchor. Page, Beck, Clapton, and steve vai anchor. But then again joe satriani, malmsteen, and jimi hendrix didn't.

I never noticed any of those guys anchoring

But hey, I just listen to the music, not the vids. I think Michael Angelo Bato anchors, and he also needs a name change too, it sounds weird. But I think he anchors, and he's pretty good.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by sesstreets

When Page, Beck and Clapton start playing the kind of material that's as physically challenging as Malmsteen, Vai et al then they'll matter.

Vai doesn't anchor any more; he used to but he doesn't now, what does that say?

The two main cases in the pro scene for anchoring are usually Steve Morse and MAB. Steve Morse has carpal tunnel syndrome and has been heard to say that if he could start again he wouldn't anchor and MAB...is an exception to the rule but seeing as how he has absolutely no tension or limits on movement from his anchor it really doesn't matter.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Underjoggle
I see you have that Telecaster-esque Ibanez.
How is it? Is the neck thin or thick? Pickups sound good?

Its great
I'm in love with it xD
Hmm, the neck is not TOO thin..
Just right.. cause i have reasonably small fingers
The cc pick ups are great too!
It plays very well ;D
But i got a roland cube 60
Well, its all i need right now XD