Hi, someone on here if offering to trade his Peavey XXX head for my 5150 combo.

He wants a new amp, as do I so... is the XXX versatile?

It reminds me of a Recitifier.

Im just looking for a good sound for modern pop punk/rock, with pretty good cleans, and overdrivish enough to to Journey stuff, and maybe some hardcore on the side.

does the XXX cover this? from the reviews ive seen, it's gotten like 9+

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Yes, it is very versatile. It's like half of a Road King.

Good cleans, crunchy, marshally, mid-esque overdrive, or balls to the wall overdrive. the Ultra channel has alot of similarities to the 5150, but isnt quite as intense. Put an OD in front of it to rectify that. To be perfectly honest I would make the guy pay me $100 but that's just me being cheap.

I say go for it. The 5150 can do one thing good, and the xxx can do three things good.
ok, cause im just wondering how the transaction is going to go down. i mean the 5150 is going to be a butt to ship ($100+)

is it still worth it?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
It's still a pretty equal trade. The XXX is probably worth a little more. After shipping you may have lost a few bucks but you're still getting a better amp IMO.
injected ..i PM'ed you

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
ok check now on your profile

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
ok, thanks for your input!

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
If your just into metal/hardcore, the 5150 is hard to beat, but if your need a more versatile amp that capable of JCM 800 to Rectifier type tones, then the Triple XXX is hard to beat. IMO its really an awesome amp, put a 12At7 in ethier V2 or V3 and to smooth out the gain, and add some EL34s and you can really dial in the Marshall tones, still the Ultra channel is very rectified sounding. IMO they sound better than the 5150s, thats just because I like the versatilty, thers no agrument the 5150 is awesome for metal, but so is the Triple XXX which is also awsome for EVH-Metal, with a good clean channel as well. IMO they are better at the marshall tone than the modern JCM 2000s, and the ultra channel has all the gain I would ever need.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
we have both the 5150 II and the triple XXX. and everytime we go on the heavy side i always take the triple over the 5150
Quote by jcp42877
i mean the 5150 is going to be a butt to ship ($100+)

Mine cost me $92 to ship and the package was HUGE and weighed 120lbs.

Ship DHL.

As for the trade, it's pretty fair, but the XXXs aren't as easy to sell as the 5150s as there's kind of a love/hate relationship between them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by injected

I say go for it. The 5150 can do one thing good, and the xxx can do three things good.

Bullcrap; yeah, it has bad cleans, but have you actually tried using it for rock ala Ted Nugent?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Bullcrap; yeah, it has bad cleans, but have you actually tried using it for rock ala Ted Nugent?

it's very middy, and has a middy feel. If you turn down the gain it will just sound watered down. Sure you can get some raw nugent tones but that's only because of the overwhelming mids. I tried one a few weeks ago and that's exactly what i got.

The XXX can do nugent much better, the crunch channel has a marshally feel.
+1

i honestly would take a XXX over the 6505/5150 any day. The 5150 has ok cleans, and only 2 channels, as opposed to the X's 3, and each channel has more to it. if only the XXX head came with reverb. =/
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I hated my XXX, love my 6505...
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Quote by TehFluffy
I hated my XXX, love my 6505...

do you even have a triple X? how come it isn't listed in ur gears
^Saying 'hated' makes me think he doesn't have it anymore.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
First off, make sure you don't send him your amp first. I don't know who it is, but it's really easy for someone to scam you in a trade.

Secondly, try the XXX out and see if you like it. It's a good amp, but like mentioned, some people love it, other people don't. Go to a nearby store that carries it and see how you like it.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by aznrockerdude

Maybe that's because Ted Nugent actually uses a 5150 now?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Maybe that's because Ted Nugent actually uses a 5150 now?

Really? wtf
its on Peaveys site under the 6505. lol

but still, it really depends on opinion. The XXX is best, for me, because of the 3 channels and versatility to do metal, crunchy overdriven stuff, and phenomenal cleans

once again, IMO
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"