is there a way to age magnets for pick ups I just pulled apart a set of squire pick ups and removed the magnets I might rewind them, they were all dead so I dont care, but I would like to rewind them..

so is there a way to age them other then leaving them sitting around for 20 years?

would leaving them in a big pile of steel and iron scraps like old screws and such lower the magnetic pull?
Quote by zstuchalot
would leaving them in a big pile of steel and iron scraps like old screws and such lower the magnetic pull?

hah, I seriously doubt it.
Quote by zstuchalot
is there a way to age magnets for pick ups I just pulled apart a set of squire pick ups and removed the magnets I might rewind them, they were all dead so I dont care, but I would like to rewind them..
so is there a way to age them other then leaving them sitting around for 20 years?

Two ways i know to artifically age magnets is to play them in oil and heat to 250 F, usually for half an hour or so. Or place them on a vibrating device, or even just dropping them on the floor. The oil heating is supposed to "age" them faster.
as in oil can I use lighter fluid or cooking oil, or dose it need to be like petrol oil?
Quote by zstuchalot
as in oil can I use lighter fluid or cooking oil, or dose it need to be like petrol oil?
Heating lighter fluid would be dangerous.
You're asking for a fire doing that. Begging for one, really.

It wouldn't have to be a petroleum oil,
just something to keep moisture and O2 away from the surface.

Aging magnets makes little sense. It just weakens them. Why bother?
Use weaker magnets or shorter pole pieces to put them farther from the strings.
or put a thin spacer between the pole-pieces and the magnets.

Unless your pole-pieces are the magnets. In that case, you might be able to put them lower in the bobbin before you wind the coils.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Alnico magnets can be "aged" by forcing 2 like pulls into each other. Aging ceramic would be pointless and it would cost more to do it than it would cost to just buy a weaker ceramic magnet.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Heating lighter fluid would be dangerous.
You're asking for a fire doing that. Begging for one, really.

It wouldn't have to be a petroleum oil,
just something to keep moisture and O2 away from the surface.

Aging magnets makes little sense. It just weakens them. Why bother?
Use weaker magnets or shorter pole pieces to put them farther from the strings.
or put a thin spacer between the pole-pieces and the magnets.

Unless your pole-pieces are the magnets. In that case, you might be able to put them lower in the bobbin before you wind the coils.

Some people believe that the reason some of the older fender pickups sound like they do is because of the magnet age. Lighter fluid is way to dangerous like you said, although cooking oil or something like it could probably be used. Weaker magnets could be used as well. Aged magnets may also have a less normal distribution of magnetic flux than a weaker new magnet.