I'm currently writing up a report on the background information for my science fair project, which is titled The Effects of Tonal Dissonance on Human Cognitive Function.

The experiment will involve noise-cancelling headphones, a box with two switches for two dissonant tones and a volume control, many copies of three different short tests (mathematics, logic, and visualizational skills tested in each), and as many people in my school that will be willing to perform the experiment. I will be using two control tests, one being with the noise-cancelling headphones just prevent outside sonic interference, and one with a single tone activated throughout the test. The experimental test will involve both tones activated simultaneously, and all of the testees ( ) will be able to adjust the volume to an appreciable level.

My hypothesis, informally written, is that the average of the scores of the tests performed under the stress of the dissonant tones will be lower than the average of the scores of either the single-tone or noise-cancelled controls, which should have very similar scores.

The only problem is... It's difficult to research, because google pulls up "Cognitive Dissonance" no matter how specific I am, and that's a completely different topic.

If any one could provide any help and/or insight, or you're just interested and would like to comment, please do!
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Last edited by Firequacker at Oct 15, 2008,
What is your hyposthesis (spelt that wrong didn't I?) in the experiment? (sorry if you said but I didn't see in the Op).
Last edited by aaciseric at Oct 15, 2008,
sounds really interesting mate.

I'm really into the whole psychophysical aspect of music too. How different music effects the person n like that.

But yeah, i can't help you much here... sorry.
But sure let us know how your experiment went n if you got any significant results off it...!
Quote by aaciseric
What is your hyposthesis (spelt that wrong didn't I?) in the experiment? (sorry if you said but I didn't see in the Op).

Hypothesis. I edited my OP to contain it, now. It's pretty much expected, considering the experiment.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by Firequacker
Hypothesis. I edited my OP to contain it, now. It's pretty much expected, considering the experiment.

I knew that 's' shouldn't have been there lol. Sounds like a very interesting experiment and I hope it goes well for you, wish I could do abit more to help, sorry.
Quote by Firequacker
I will be using two control tests, one being with the noise-cancelling headphones just prevent outside sonic interference, and one with a single tone activated throughout the test.
Those are probably the two best choices for the control tests.
Maybe adding a control test with pink noise might be appropriate,
but it does get a bit clumsy when you add too many controls. idk.

A sister experiment to this, if you choose to continue might be:
The Effects of Tonal Consonance on Human Cognitive Function.

Just some random thoughts. You may have already thought of this.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Have you tried searching with speech-marks?
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.