So i got a washburn g-5v for 100 bones to travel with - use at work

now i want to replace the strings and try to set this up myself, but after taking the back plate off, this looks very cheap:

just two wood screws crookedly screwed in

feels like there may be 10's on the guitar now, i want to put 11's on and lower the action? Should i have someone set it up, or should i play with it myself.....this is just a cheap practice guitar, but i want to sound fairly good?

Whats your thoughts any pointers
Last edited by boyd98 at Oct 15, 2008,
the two screw at the left will have to be screwed in to pull the springs wider apart to put on a heavier gauge but not too much, as you want it to be leve with the neck.
to lowed the action you can put a small allen key in where the strings go into the guitar and there should be too screw which will screw down to lower it.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
yeah, help him, someone, because i want to be able to adjust my floyd rose, too, instead of waiting for the shop to do it.

by the way, is it an Edge III tremolo, or actual floyd rose (or licensed)?
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
whats a high level overview -

should i change the strings first -

Then set the action

Then set the intonation?

Should i be adjusting anything before i put my strings on and tighten them down?
losen strings

remove springs

screw in the 2 claw screws carefully not to strip them. i usually leave 1/2 inch clearance late to claw. put some dry soap on the threads so they glide in.

install springs

put in new strings or use old ones.

dont adjust anything else unless there is a problem. LESS IS MORE
"usually leave 1/2 inch clearance late to claw."

can you be more specific?

also i picked up another trem spring and its skinnier than the existing 3 - do you think i need to replace all the trem springs- im going up in string size 10 to 11s

figured i needed to at a 4th spring?
Quote by boyd98
"usually leave 1/2 inch clearance late to claw."

can you be more specific?

also i picked up another trem spring and its skinnier than the existing 3 - do you think i need to replace all the trem springs- im going up in string size 10 to 11s

figured i needed to at a 4th spring?

i doubt it, three springs should be fine. you can adjust the tention in which the springs pull back the bridge by turning the two screws located in the trem cavity
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless