just curious

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
MESA. for the love of god. my friend has those two amps. He only got the peavy first because it was cheaper, and he needed it badly. if he had time to wait and save up for the mesa, he wouldve.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
i hate the peavey XX combo i have but i hear nothing but raving about it on UG.
end of the day do not trust these forums as its mainly 15 year olds with no concept of good tone.
try the amps yourself if possible then make your judgement.
Mesa. the XXX has NO treble response whatsoever. the other guitarist in my old band played one and we both noticed it. It's not to say you can't solve it with an eq or a treble boosting pedal of some sort, but it's also horribly unreliable (friend bought a new XXX in may of this year, and the lead channel just quit on him two months ago in early august).

Mesa FTW!
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
^well no S if everyone could have a mesa instead of the the peavey waht do you think people would get.
its just that people cant afford a mesa halfstack or a combo for that matter, XXX goes for 400-600 for a stack used and for the price you cant say its poo.
but why get a low quality tube amp for metal when you can just get a flextone for 300 used or new for 500.
EDITh and when you posted i tough you ment what amps are better than both those amps.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Oct 15, 2008,
I have a rectoverb and it is very tasty. But not for everyone, they have a very unique tone that not everyone likes.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Wow, a lot of triple XXX hate, you people don't know what in the world you are talking about, or have no concept of tone. Eqing these amps can be tricky, and most people don't how to set these amps up when they try these amps out and have no concpet of active EQs and the way they work. IMO the versatilty factor of the peavey out wheighs the boogie buy a lot, and really in the tone depatment they are close. IMO Triple/dual Rec>Triple XXX> single rec.

Quote by bite_the_bullet
Mesa. the XXX has NO treble response whatsoever. the other guitarist in my old band played one and we both noticed it. It's not to say you can't solve it with an eq or a treble boosting pedal of some sort, but it's also horribly unreliable (friend bought a new XXX in may of this year, and the lead channel just quit on him two months ago in early august).

Mesa FTW!

^ this is coming from a guy with a bugera, which is a peavey knock off. You are crazy or death if you think the triple has no highs. You say they are Unreilable, you simply have no clue, these amps are tough as hell. Your friends amp probably justs needs a little work, probably the reason the treble is absecnt as well, could even be a tube issue.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by Johnbryant
IMO the versatilty factor of the peavey out wheighs the boogie buy a lot

I'm sorry, but my Mesa can pull off a lot more (and higher quality) sounds than a XXX. Although I do have a Rectoverb which is much better than a plain single rectifier, if that's what you're comparing it to.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by omarrodrigez
I'm sorry, but my Mesa can pull off a lot more (and higher quality) sounds than a XXX. Although I do have a Rectoverb which is much better than a plain single rectifier, if that's what you're comparing it to.

^ OMG have you tried a triple xxx? IMO the difference in tone compareing the Ultra and the modern channel is quite subtle, and the Peavey also has an extra channel so that aids me a lot. And I sorry but the peavey will run circles around the a rectifier trying to pull off marshall tones, epecually with EL34s. IMO The Triple XXX's are very good amps, I actually chose the tripple XXX combo over the Rectfiers becasue it can do JCM 800 tones so well, as well as a rectified tone... When you mention rectifiers and triple xxx in the same sentence, the boogie banwagoners come out in full force around here. I bet most of these nasayers have ever even tried a triple xxx
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Well I've tried both and in the end I got the Mesa because thats what I was after. The Triple XXX is a good amp but i don't think that its any more versatile than the Recto. The Recto has 5 different gain modes, you can switch out the 6L6's for EL34's if you really want to. If you can't use these functions to get the sound you want then I don't know what to tell you. What it comes down to is if you want a Mesa get a Mesa, if you want the Triple XXX get the it. You should really try to find a way to check them both out and decide for yourself, we can suggest amps that might suit your style but you can't let us choose for you.
Tough call.

With an overdrive the Mesa Rec wins no contest as far as leads, gain, and metal. Plus it has a fender clean tone.

For crunch, or lighter gain I would choose the XXX.

Really though, I don't like either amp that much. I prefer the JSX or 5150/6505 to the XXX, and of course the Roadking and older 2 channel rectos to the single rec.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Engl :P
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by omarrodrigez

we have a rectoverb in the studio along with a dual rectifier and a peavey triple X. my band mate who owns the studio had the chance to test them out since he got them which was 2 years ago. after i joined his band we did this massive eqing on all the amps to see which comes out with our best interest in mind and believe it or not the triple X was the king of the hill. one of mesa's flaws i notice is you can't really dial out of that crunch tone. and it is very hard to eq the thing. but after cranking both the triple X and the mesa to proper tube saturation volume the triple x and the mesa sounds just about the same.

p.s. they were both using my straight hk 4x12 cab with v30s
Quote by MESAexplorer
Tough call.

With an overdrive the Mesa Rec wins no contest as far as leads, gain, and metal. Plus it has a fender clean tone.

For crunch, or lighter gain I would choose the XXX.

Really though, I don't like either amp that much. I prefer the JSX or 5150/6505 to the XXX, and of course the Roadking and older 2 channel rectos to the single rec.

The only difference between a JSX and a XXX is the presence control, lack of tight mid loose setting, and less gain on the crunch channel. I actually prefer the XXX, it not as good for classic rock stuff, basically EVH on up is were the XXX shines, but for the classic tones I have a tube screamer that handles that gain structure well for me, when needed. They are definitely underrated amps that can get just as brutal and sound just as amazing as amps costing twice as much, I think why people dislike them is they are either wanting a classic voiced amp or cannot EQ it to make it sound good.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by the agony scene
i hate the peavey XX combo i have but i hear nothing but raving about it on UG.
end of the day do not trust these forums as its mainly 15 year olds with no concept of good tone.
try the amps yourself if possible then make your judgement.

Hey, I think I'm a 15yo with a good ear or tone. Regardless, it's all preference. A lot of people say rectos need some work to get a good sound, but I personally think the XXX is a very nice amp.
Heres my opinion...

Low volume bedroom playing XXX
Higher volume Studio or Giggin go with the Mesa

Now that said its all preference and depending on the Mesa I would still probably pick the XXX for Studio or Giggin. Singles have been known not to sound as great as some of the other models so I would go with the XXX, now if it was a Roadster then yea im going with Mesa.. lol
JSX (XXX but better). Mesa Rectos always just sounded like a fuzz machine with insane low end to me.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by jcp42877
just curious

It's all personal preference, what genre youre playing, etc. You cant really just ask "whats better" without giving us some detail as to what this amp will be used for.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by Johnbryant
The only difference between a JSX and a XXX is the presence control, lack of tight mid loose setting, and less gain on the crunch channel. I actually prefer the XXX, it not as good for classic rock stuff, basically EVH on up is were the XXX shines, but for the classic tones I have a tube screamer that handles that gain structure well for me, when needed. They are definitely underrated amps that can get just as brutal and sound just as amazing as amps costing twice as much, I think why people dislike them is they are either wanting a classic voiced amp or cannot EQ it to make it sound good.

Sure this is Peavey and Satriani's quote for the JSX, but I did find it somewhat true (the JSX is a fender clean tone, with a marshall crunch, and the Peavey XXX ultra channel) the JSX has a bit better cleans IMO, seems a bit more sparkly, however if I were more of a Jazz guy, I might prefer the XXX cleans. The crunch channels are pretty similar, the JSX seems to have a hair less gain for that channel. The ultra channel on the XXX is better for leads, while the JSX seems better for rhythm (kinda backwards as one would think).

Neither amp seems to respond to overdrives like most other tube amps in making the rhythms tighter, however it does make the leads better. Probably explains why satch uses an overdrive.

If i'm not mistaken, more often than not he actually uses the XXX instead of the JSX. I know he was using the XXX on G3 in tokyo.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
if you want a loose tone, the single recto; if you want a tight tone, go for the XXX. The XXX is also a lot brighter of an amp, with of course the mesa being quite dark.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Get an OD and a Rectoverb. I used to hate recto's but I've found love for boosted vintage.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I like the JSX better than the XXX, Single, Dual and Triple Rec's.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION