To start off, i play an Ibanez BTB200 (active) bass and have had it for around 10months now.

Around a month ago, i started to get a loud clicking noise when i plugged into my amp (a Roland Cube 30, but that isn't the problem) for a few seconds, but then it vanished and all was fine.

This accumulated until, one fine day, i got a loud set of clicking noises and no sound would come from my amp at all.

I've opened up the back, and cannot see any loose wires. The problem is, i can't open up the SEPARATE battery compartment to replace the 9v battery that resides there.

Questions:
1. How do i open up the battery compartment, because it seems to be lodged inside the groove. COULD THE BATTERY BE THE PROBLEM?
2. What the hell else could be wrong?
i swear ive seen this thread before..
did you try usig the searchbar?

also, i was really hoping your bass was a \bC rich, so i coul then say EVERYTHING. but ibanez's are fairly good.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
I'm thinking its the battery man. I dont know where its compartment is though.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
Quote by pedalguy1
I'm thinking its the battery man. I dont know where its compartment is though.

I know where the compartment is, but i've unscrewed it and it is lodged in it's groove. I've tried duct tape and EVERYTHING. Could a luthier/similar solve this?

Oh, and i've posted about the battery compartment in the past.
try the battery i guess
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
battery or input jack is disconnected. its either one or both, dude.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
I tend to agree that it is likely the battery. You do know that if you leave the cord plugged into the bass that the battery is connected, right? You must unplug the cord AT THE BASS to disconnect the battery when you are through playing.

If you are not able to open the compartment, it may be because one or both of the wires to the battery connector got pinched the last time the battery was replaced.

Sometimes, if you are very careful, you can pry the battery door open by depressing the little tab and using a small, flat blade screw driver to pry it open. It is best to pry at the end of the door where the tab is, and pry against only the plastic.

I have seen cases where the battery has leaked and swollen to the point it causes this problem as well. If you get the battery out and it has leaked, then be very careful cleaning up the area.
I had the same problem with my Vintage.

Personally I HATE active bass pickups. Completely a waste of time.

Switch the battery. If this doesnt fix it have someone look at it.

Originally Posted by cam_sampbell
What's the spoon position?

Well, you begin with a big wooden spoon and a jar of vaseline...
Quote by dkcol
I tend to agree that it is likely the battery. You do know that if you leave the cord plugged into the bass that the battery is connected, right? You must unplug the cord AT THE BASS to disconnect the battery when you are through playing.

If you are not able to open the compartment, it may be because one or both of the wires to the battery connector got pinched the last time the battery was replaced.

Sometimes, if you are very careful, you can pry the battery door open by depressing the little tab and using a small, flat blade screw driver to pry it open. It is best to pry at the end of the door where the tab is, and pry against only the plastic.

I have seen cases where the battery has leaked and swollen to the point it causes this problem as well. If you get the battery out and it has leaked, then be very careful cleaning up the area.

^^ Best answer yet, thanks. I'll give this a try. If the battery has leaked, will there be erosion on my fine mahogany body? Eek!

Also, i've never changed the battery before and never opened the tab. If it's not the problem, should i take the bass to a guitar store?
Quote by Hypnotisation
^^ Best answer yet, thanks. I'll give this a try. If the battery has leaked, will there be erosion on my fine mahogany body? Eek!

Also, i've never changed the battery before and never opened the tab. If it's not the problem, should i take the bass to a guitar store?

Erosion on the inside of the battery compartment? Does that even really matter?
The battery is the problem for sure. No guitar shops/techs are needed at all. Get a screw driver or pliers and rip the damn thing out.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
If you can not get the battery door open, then either ask someone who is perhaps more mechanically inclined. Failing that, you probably would have to take it to a musical instrument store. Many have very willing, helpful people. Even in the little city in which I live, they would not charge much for just replacing the battery.

If it has leaked badly, you would know it already. You would see some stuff leaking out through the seems of the battery door. Even if it leaked inside the battery compartment, at worst you might have to clean it out a bit and perhaps replace the battery wire connector. To clean it I would use a soft cloth with some Isopropyl alcohol. Be careful to not get any on the finish of the back of the bass outside the battery compartment. Some masking or transparent tape along the edges would keep that from happening, but might require some light buffing afterwards to remove any tape-glue residue.