I'm going to be turning in a quote to my local and preferred ESP dealer in the next few days and was just curious as to what I may expect.

Am I going to be contacted regarding specs before a quote is finalized?

If you have gone through with a custom, pics please
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
How much do they usually cost?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by gab4554
Thank you, but this does not help

Quote by kranoscorp
How much do they usually cost?
Quotes I've done online come in at around 4 grand. I "believe" dealers discount the quoted price their typical amount (ie: MSRP = $1000, Retail = $750; Dong ma?) so I'm looking at around 3 grand (And my specs are MOST basic) just basing it on the online quote.

But, I can't imagine a basic instrument like what I'm looking for costing 4 grand or taking 8 months to build. Its got no bells or whistles and is bolt-on for god's sake.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
Thank you, but this does not help

Quotes I've done online come in at around 4 grand. I "believe" dealers discount the quoted price their typical amount (ie: MSRP = $1000, Retail = $750; Dong ma?) so I'm looking at around 3 grand (And my specs are MOST basic) just basing it on the online quote.

But, I can't imagine a basic instrument like what I'm looking for costing 4 grand or taking 8 months to build. Its got no bells or whistles and is bolt-on for god's sake.

It may be different with ESP, but generally you don't get much of a store discount on custom shop models.

and yeah, believe it, custom shop guitars are at a high premium just because they are custom made by hand (which takes a long time too) and they are usually backlogged as well.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It may be different with ESP, but generally you don't get much of a store discount on custom shop models...
I did inquire (Never turned in a quote) about a custom ESP years ago and I believe this was part of the conversation I had with a local store.

Regardless, my curiosity is overwhelming and I need to know. Even if I can't do it now, I need to know what I'm going to be getting myself into.

When I find everything out, I'll post what I have learned.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681

Doesn't really matter - there's other guitars they have to build, yours just goes to the back of the queue, and you can bet if somebody more important with more money comes along and needs something in a hurry it'll get pushed back even further.

ESP are a big name and their custom shop is always in demand so they can charge whatever they want, 4k is about right. You're not going to get value for money from them, if you want a custom guitar you're far better off finding a private luthier.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Understood, I actually know someone local who will take on the job as we speak (Best part is I actually trust him). After I get a quote back from ESP, I will inquire with him and see where he puts me in terms of cost and time

The main reason I come to want an ESP is the feel of it. I have never picked up an ESP or LTD for that matter that I was anything less than in love with (In terms of feel). They all feel right to me. The reaction I get from the strings, through my pick, in my fingers; the way the neck feels in my hands and under my fingers...its tough to explain how much I enjoy their guitars without sounding like a mad-man.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Did you read my last post?

I don't dislike Schecter but if I'm going to get a custom instrument, its going to be from the company I'm most comfortable with.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Oh well then by all means spend 4 grand on a guitar that "feels right" to you. Just don't complain when you need to pay some bills or whatever and suddenly you have payments of 200 bucks a month for 2 years to pay of a guitar.

The country is in not the best economic times my friend. Save your money.
Quote by sesstreets
Oh well then by all means spend 4 grand on a guitar that "feels right" to you. Just don't complain when you need to pay some bills or whatever and suddenly you have payments of 200 bucks a month for 2 years to pay of a guitar.

The country is in not the best economic times my friend. Save your money.

LOL What's that supposed to mean. If he has 4k to spend on a guitar, why not?

I totally understand what you mean with ESP. I have a MH-1000 and I LOVE it. I'm planning on getting another ESP sometime soon too.
Quote by sesstreets
...Just don't complain when you need to pay some bills or whatever and suddenly you have payments of 200 bucks a month for 2 years to pay of a guitar...
Where the hell are you coming from with this?

I don't know what you read but I wasn't complaining about...well, anything really. I just want to learn more about the procedure of getting a proper and complete quote.

Quote by XnaySaturo
LOL What's that supposed to mean...
Who knows...

I would never get into (And that is to be read: Deposit placed) something as expensive as a custom without being financially prepared for it.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
woah...you want to play a $4,000 esp custom shop guitar through a $300 solid state peavey amp?

i think you need to rethink your priorities bro

the mh-1000 is already spoiling your amp, i suggest upgrade
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I also want a $4000 guitar that is NEVER going to see live or studio use. Its going to be for me to enjoy any way I see fit.

I appreciate the interjection (I was waiting for it actually), though I think my priorities are best left to me
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by maiden_mexico
woah...you want to play a $4,000 esp custom shop guitar through a $300 solid state peavey amp?

i think you need to rethink your priorities bro

the mh-1000 is already spoiling your amp, i suggest upgrade

Not sure who you're talking to here, it isn't very clear, but since you mentioned MH-1000 and Peavey amp, and that info's on my profile...

I have a Mesa Roadster, thank you very much.

Now back to topic... Make sure you post some pics when/if you get that custom shop
Quote by XnaySaturo
Not sure who you're talking to here, it isn't very clear, but since you mentioned MH-1000 and Peavey amp, and that info's on my profile...

Now back to topic... Make sure you post some pics when/if you get that custom shop

He's refering to TS.

To TS, do what you want, I'd personally hit up a local luthier since ESP custom shop as stated above would COST A BOMB, and a local luthier you could always pop in and check progress on your guitar.
Not doing anything right now, I'm just getting a quote.

Like I said, this has been on my brain for years now. If anything I really just need to know how much I'm looking at so I can save for it one day.

I just need to know...

Quote by Mwoit
...a local luthier you could always pop in and check progress on your guitar.
Believe me, I've thought about it and I LOVE the idea of it.

Like I said, once I get word from ESP, I'm going to hand the same spec sheet to my guy in Middletown and see what he says.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by XnaySaturo

i wasnt referring to you.

to TS.

just understand that having an esp custom shop guitar will sound almost identical to your mh-1000 through your peavey bandit.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
You're still confusing two people. No MH-1000 here, that is XnaySaturo.

However, if I had an MH-1000, the custom I'm having quoted is a completely different species of wood both neck and body, different bridge system, different headstock orientation, etc...

I think its safe to say it might sound a tad different regardless of amp.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Ahh I get you dude. NVM my trolling. I mean if you really want to go through with the custom shop of ESP I'd maybe try some other custom shops out and just ask around. There are TONS of shops out there.
Quote by jm1681
...Like I said, once I get word from ESP, I'm going to hand the same spec sheet to my guy in Middletown and see what he says.

While I really like the feel of ESP's guitars, the idea of being able to look on as my guitar is being built and being able to make changes if necessary is very appealing to me. The guy who I'd be going to does very nice work and I trust he'd do my vision proper.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I heard back about my quote days ago but forgot to post the results.

MSRP = $4,250
Sale price = $2,850

That includes a case but not tax. Its expensive, but IMHO, for something entirely to spec, pretty reasonable.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头