Whats the minimum you could spend on a tube amp for general rock?

UK only, please no us based websites as the shipping kills any savings.

thanks for any advice
well it depends how much you got or how how much your willing to spend.
if your ganna be playing mainly distorted, or mainly clean.
You can pick 5W valve combos for £100 (i'm using GAK.co.uk as my main source here), 15W combos can usually hit around the £200 range, and from there on, its' a merry minefield.
With this in mind, I'd try try either a Laney LC15 or an epiphone valve standard, both are similar prices, and can do cleans nicely, as well as low-gain classic rock distort.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by Korzack
You can pick 5W valve combos for £100 (i'm using GAK.co.uk as my main source here), 15W combos can usually hit around the £200 range, and from there on, its' a merry minefield.
With this in mind, I'd try try either a Laney LC15 or an epiphone valve standard, both are similar prices, and can do cleans nicely, as well as low-gain classic rock distort.

+1

If you can be a bit more specific on the genre's you play rather than summing it up as "general rock" then we could help more.
Well, i doubt itll be anything too heavy, def not brutal (am i doing it right? ) metal. More like rock, hard rock with a bit of punk thrown in. Is that better?
Quote by b2spirita
Well, i doubt itll be anything too heavy, def not brutal (am i doing it right? ) metal. More like rock, hard rock with a bit of punk thrown in. Is that better?

Do you have a specific budget? I know you want the cheapest, but if you could aim for between £300 - £500 you could pick up something nice new, or even better used (ala JCM800 combo, great for rock and hard rock. Not sure about punk)
No specific budget as such really, but 500 is way off. Really im trying to find the most affordable tube amp i can. I suspect im better off sticking witha ss and saving up.
Quote by b2spirita
No specific budget as such really, but 500 is way off. Really im trying to find the most affordable tube amp i can. I suspect im better off sticking witha ss and saving up.

Well, what's highest you're willing to go?
i'd consider a laney vc15 for that... it's more like £220 or so, though. and the footswitch is another £15, too. EDIT: i know you said £200 tops, the problem is if you cheap out much more you'd run the risk of getting something which might not do what you want, or which won't do what you want without several additional pedals (e.g. valve junior), which could end up costing you more money than just buying the laney...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try Blackheart amps. Good reviews everywhere.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Well, thanks for the help guys, looks like my best bet is to make do and save up. thanks again