Hi,

I just wondered if anybody else thinks that Paranoid played at the "correct" 12th fret on the e position sounds weird, and that it sounds better at the 7th on the A string?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
well yeah it does, but I personally can't get it to sound anything like Iommi does
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
well yeah it does, but I personally can't get it to sound anything like Iommi does

You're not Iommi, so don't expect to sound exactly like him.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I just said that lol, I guess it needs the bass going with it
i play the initial riff at the 12th, but wind up going to the A string after awhile for some reason.
If it doesn't sound right at the 12th fret your intonation must be off. Use the searchbar, I bet theres plenty of threads on it. Sorry that Im too lazy to link you to something

I do pretty much all of the Black Sabbath stuff on the E string as far as E chords go. Tony did that because of his fingers.
I played it at the 7th A for awhile and then tried the 12th E out, id say i prefer the 7th for comfort but 12th E for the sound.

Think Iommi said that he used to crank the mids very high and bass at almost none, dont know if it was on the Paranoid LP or if it was the early Black Sabbath records.

Cheers

edit:

copied from gibson.com

"Were they any specific settings you used?

Basically, I set the presence, middle and treble on 10 with no bass whatsoever. The guitar volume was usually set on full and the three-way toggle switch was set on the up position for chording and in the treble spot for soloing. "

link: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/tonyiommionearlyblacksabb/
Last edited by Zapher at Oct 15, 2008,
Yeah my intonations off, but I have an irritating floyd rose bridge...
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Iommi plays it at the 12th fret on E, and I think that sounds better.

+1

I'm pretty sure he said he does in an interview somewhere. Something about the bass/warmth of the higher string gauge.
Quote by Zapher
Basically, I set the presence, middle and treble on 10 with no bass whatsoever. The guitar volume was usually set on full and the three-way toggle switch was set on the up position for chording and in the treble spot for soloing. "

Strange how nowadays it's the other way around for the most part.

I was actually going to suggest this. To me it definitely sounds like the main riff to Paranoid was done using the neck pickup and played on E at the 12th fret (and probably with the aforementioned EQ settings). It doesn't really seem to have that "bite" that a bridge pickup would provide. This is just for the original Black Sabbath recording though. It's likely done differently for any subsequent live or cover versions.
it is odd that its the other way round now, though
Didn't Iommi tune down to like C?

Not sure if he did on Paranoid but I know he did do it a lot due to his fingers.

And just to add in, I play it at 12th on E, but I never actually try to get it accurate, a drum and bass solo wasn't in the original so why try to get the rest of it accurate?
Tony didn't start down tuning until the 3rd album (Master of Reality) the first 2 (Black Sabbath & Paranoid) were in E. He also used the lightest strings he could find (not sure of exact gauge) because they were easier on his fingers. That's why he played it on the E string, but his E string was probably smaller than most peoples A string these days.
In an interview he said he didnt know where people got the idea he played it on the a string. But it works either way brighter on the a string is all. Works pretty good with 2 guitars on playing 12thfret e string and another 7th fret a string. But when he did paranoid he wasnt drop tuning yet. I usually do the intro on the a string and switch to the e string for the riff.
Iommi toned down half a step, so you can play in normal tuning fine. He tuned lower on some albums though