Hey guys,

Well i've been looking at upgrading my rig, aswell as my rig for practicing at home with. At the moment I have a Marshall MG30 (I was young and neive) which I hate because no matter what I do it just seems to make the same sound or have a hissy fit if i turn my wah wah on.

I play with an Epiphone Les Paul (don't ask which one it is cos i don't know) which I'm happy with once i lower the action height again, I then run that through a Line 6 FloorPod and the plan is to buy a Line6 Echo Park soon to give me more access to some nice analog delay effects.

When i'm at band practice i have the pleasure of playing through a Vox AC30 so I'm used to valve amps now and you can imagine how much a bummer playing on my MG is.

the music i play mainly is, U2, Led Zeppelin, light to medium rock i suppose nothing crazily screamy for long periods of time.

I'm looking at spending up to £250 possibly £300. My thoughts so far have been the Epiphone Valve Junior head and cab. However i was wondering what advantage getting the half stack has over the combo amp you can get of the junior, i know this is well below my budget and if the combo is better i would just go for a more expensive combo. IT MUST BE VALVE because i love that vox so much i'll never be able to play solid state again

Thanks in advance guys.

EDIT: I dont really want to buy used right now, thanks.
The advantage is the 12" speaker and larger cab. And it does make a big difference. Although I'd suggest looking at the Crate tube amps. They've got some killer prices and more features.
Try picking up a Blackheart Little Giant instead. The VJs don't have EQs and are really boxy and farty sounding even through a 4x12.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
thanks guys, nice description with the farty bit there I'll have a look at those thanks.
TS, I suggest you seriously consider going used. Valve amps age very well, so there's no problem with that, except you may have to change valves soon (if the amp was 2+ years old, and the owner hadn't changed them ever). Going used would allow you to get a much nicer amp in your price range than if you insisted on only going new.

Just my thoughts. I got a 100W Laney VH100R with cab for £450...

Aside from that, try checking out the Blackheart range. If this amp is purely for home practice (assuming you gig with the Vox) look at the Little Giant in particular. It seems to be the main alternative to the Valve Junior.

Good Luck!

EDIT: Beaten to it! Ten thousand curses upon your brow, H4T3BR33D3R!
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Last edited by BobMarleysGhost at Oct 15, 2008,
Thanks, yeah unfortunately the vox ain't mine but we aren't gelled enough as a band to gig yet, once i kick their butts then we'll do it. The vox is a dream, dunno whether you've ever played on one.

I'll take a look at secondhand, where are the best places to look for second hand gear?
Quote by Bgoodman
Thanks, yeah unfortunately the vox ain't mine but we aren't gelled enough as a band to gig yet, once i kick their butts then we'll do it. The vox is a dream, dunno whether you've ever played on one.

I'll take a look at secondhand, where are the best places to look for second hand gear?

Classifieds, guitar stores etc...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Go for a V series. The 15w version is only a single-channel, but has a gain control so you dont have to crank the volume on the amp for drive. And I like the tone for classic rock-stuff.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Try picking up a Blackheart Little Giant instead. The VJs don't have EQs and are really boxy and farty sounding even through a 4x12.

not even close.............lol
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Whilst I would admit the Little Giant is better, saying a VJ is boxy and farty sounding is pretty harsh. I've always found the VJ head + cab to be nice, a warm overdrive when cranked. I have to say though it seemed to lack dynamics until I boosted it.
Quote by qotsa1998
Go for a V series. The 15w version is only a single-channel, but has a gain control so you dont have to crank the volume on the amp for drive. And I like the tone for classic rock-stuff.

sorry if this sounds stupid but what do you mean by a v series..

thanks everyone for the help, i'll try the vj out and see what i think. Anyone know what the vox amps are like at this sort of price range?
blackheart and crate ranges, anyone know anywhere in Manchester, UK where you can try these out?
yeah i really like the blackhearts I really wanna get one if i ever save up some more cash. But the cool thing about the VJ is there are a lot of mods for them if you are comfortable with a soldering iron, but im gonna assume not.

but the blackheart handsome devil is a great amp, and a 15 watt tube amp would be loud enough for some small gigs too. But its a bit pricey i guess might be out of your range.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackheart_handsome_devil_combo_bh15_112.htm

but i was planning on going to ireland soon, and I really wanted one of these.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga15.htm

from what i heard the 5 watt one are epiphone valve juniors. The circuit boards even say epiphone on them. And the 15 watt one would put out a nice bit of sound too
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by mmjohn
not even close.............lol

My thoughts exactly.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
yeah i really like the blackhearts I really wanna get one if i ever save up some more cash. But the cool thing about the VJ is there are a lot of mods for them if you are comfortable with a soldering iron, but im gonna assume not.

but the blackheart handsome devil is a great amp, and a 15 watt tube amp would be loud enough for some small gigs too. But its a bit pricey i guess might be out of your range.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackheart_handsome_devil_combo_bh15_112.htm

but i was planning on going to ireland soon, and I really wanted one of these.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga15.htm

from what i heard the 5 watt one are epiphone valve juniors. The circuit boards even say epiphone on them. And the 15 watt one would put out a nice bit of sound too

Another user of Thomann never thought i'd hear of anoyne else using it, i only heard of it through my German guitar teacher. The handsome devil is out of my price range once you add a good amp to it aswell which is a shame the harley benton head and the epiphone head have exactly the same design but i prefer the colours on the epihpone.

I'm not your average teenager, i can use a soldering iron well
Last edited by Bgoodman at Oct 15, 2008,
i don't really wanna spend too much as it is only a practice amp for at home and seeming as i have access to the AC30 at band practice there is no need to spend too much in getting one that is suitable for home practice and gigging.
laney vc15/30? they're quite well known as the poor man's ac30, so would be worth a try, at very least. EDIT: if it's only for home, maybe the 15- but i thought the 30 sounded better (but it is quite a lot louder too). problem with the vj for home practice is that you have to crank it to get overdrive as it has no master volume/gain control (the laneys do).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
laney vc15/30? they're quite well known as the poor man's ac30, so would be worth a try, at very least. EDIT: if it's only for home, maybe the 15- but i thought the 30 sounded better (but it is quite a lot louder too). problem with the vj for home practice is that you have to crank it to get overdrive as it has no master volume/gain control (the laneys do).

a vj and a couple pedals and you don't have to crank it to get sweet bedroom tones. From country, blues, classic rock to metal the vj loves pedals. An eq and reverb really wake them up and there are so many mods out there and so easy to do. Tube swap's are cheap and easy. if your a bedroom player it's a amazing amp. if your going on the road.........no................if you play death metal...........no.........But for kick ass TUBE tone that will make you just pick a single note and hold it and just say damn. the vj can do it. i am sure the BH must be pretty good as well. i just prefer the VJ. Good luck!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

+1
Or buy an eq pedal
But it sounds like a decent setup. Might want to buy a seperat e od too
a bad monkey for classic rock...........a metal muff for the harder stuff. i've done a few mods on mine and play thru a celestion g12k. but it's a great platform to build YOUR own amp.
The Blackhearts sound a little better stock than the VJr's. But the aftermarket support is huge for Vjr's. You can do a simple tube swap or go wild with it. They really sound much better with a tube swap. The 12" cabinet has a lot more volume than the combo. I just started running mine through a 4x12, and I am amazed how much sound I can get out of it.

What about a Gibson Goldtone GA-15rvs? I know you could probally find one of those used in your price range and it will sound much more like the Vox you are used to.
I tried a Blackheart before i found a Vj and 3 things turned me away from it. The EQ didn't do that much for it i didn't think, It had a closed back cab and i prefer openbacks and it was $100 more. The $100 alone would put an EQ on the Vj that would be miles ahead of the BH or any $100 pedal you like for that matter. The voicing is a bit different so try before you buy, but compare them dollar for dollar Make the Vj equal to that $350 and you get more.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by mmjohn
a vj and a couple pedals and you don't have to crank it to get sweet bedroom tones. From country, blues, classic rock to metal the vj loves pedals. An eq and reverb really wake them up and there are so many mods out there and so easy to do.

oh yeah, of course. i just meant that for the same amount of money you could just get a better amp which wouldn't need to be modded.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?