Hey,
I'll keep this as short as possible hopefully i can get a nice short sweet answer.

Basically, say i come up with a nice chord progression like D F G C or something stupid like that. How would i know where to form a melody/solo in terms of scales. Obviously if the song is just the Cmaj chord all the way through so the Cmaj scale would work but when you have a chord progression how does it differ?

Thanks
Dan
If the progression is in the key of C major, use the C major scale. The progression you posted is non-diatonic, but it still resolves firmly to C. Use the C major scale over the entire thing, and avoid the fourth over the D major chord (or raise it).
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
ok thanks! is there a sort of logical method to working out what the key the progression is in?

I'm not strictly asking you to explain because it will probably take you ages i understand but if you know of any good lessons or tutorials that i should check out or any search terms that might lead me to an explanation that would be cool.

Thanks again
Dan
oh i think i understand... so if the scale you are using is made up of the notes in the chord then it should work?

I guess i should check out what the term diatonic means then as well

Cheers!
Diatonic means "in relation to the scale" more or less. To find the scale of a chord progression, you take all the notes of the chords and find out what scale they belong to.

C (C E G) D (D F# A) Emin (E G B) G (G B D)

This progression would be in the key of G.

G A B C D E F# G

As you can see, all the notes in chords fit into the G major scale, which is the best way to determine the key.

Also, the first and/or last chord in a sequence often indicates which scale is being used, as progressions often resolve to the tonic chord (chord built of the first scale degree).
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.