Bass Tapping. You generally don't see it, but it's certainly not unheard of. I wanted to know if there was a traditional way of tapping, or if you just do it like guitar. I still have my fingers as if I playing my bass regularly, but over where I want to tap. Basically, I just use top of my fingertip and then do the hammers with my left index and middle. (If you the tapping video on youtube where the English dude teaches you, it's like that except for it's on bass and my right hand is different). I've been trying some different styles, and wondered what you guys do.

any replies are appreciated.
PSYCHOSOCIAL
yea its defanetly not unheard of, im not sure what kind of music you listen to but the band protest the hero does alot of bass tapping and its sounds pretty awesome.

maybe if you learn some of their stuff it might help you learn more about it.
most of the time ive seen it. it looks the same as a regular guitar so, i doubt there are any differences.
Quote by bluelightning
yea its defanetly not unheard of, im not sure what kind of music you listen to but the band protest the hero does alot of bass tapping and its sounds pretty awesome.

maybe if you learn some of their stuff it might help you learn more about it.
most of the time ive seen it. it looks the same as a regular guitar so, i doubt there are any differences.

+1

im a beginner bassist and i (kinda) learned palms read tapping, and it was pretty cool,i helped me get my fingers used to the bass fretboard

PS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zu6A3aC5EI <---vid of me playing it, it wasnt hard and it should get you started on tapping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXLJufPxigA <--- thats the vid of the song
Only Ash Remains - Necrophagist

Something to learn. You could also watch some covers of it on youtube for a look at the technique.

Also, Stabwound by Necrophagist has some pretty awesome bass tapping.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Try Stu Hamm's version of The Moonlight Sonata, it's a damn good place to start.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hey, I have an exercise I like to peform every time I pick up my bass and it really warms up my right hand for tapping. You also have to do some sliding with the right hand aswell, which is a great thing to learn.

Youtube Link

If you need the tabs, just PM me. But it starts very slowly so you can watch the chords on the left hand and the tapping on the right.

And my favourite tapping song of all time. It's a great mixture of technique and beauty. If you like this song make sure to check out the song "Three moons" and everything else he does.

Michael Manring

Ahhhh its such an amazing piece of music, in my opinion.

Ps - it will take awhile to get it down, it will feel odd and your right arm will feel it after a hard practice. Seriously, just practise (with 1 finger, then 2, then three, then four....then with the thumb. Theres no limits to what you can tap with). Oh and make sure your action is pretty low, or else you'll be smashing the strings lol. Enjoy!
Stu Hamm, Tony Levin, John Myung, and Billy Sheehan.

All you really need, IMO.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Try Stu Hamm's version of The Moonlight Sonata, it's a damn good place to start.

I crapped my pants when I saw the video on the bonus DVD on Surfing
hue