Page 1 of 7
so im doing this sociology project, and its on cultural deviance vs conformity. Deviance is defined (more or less) as something that falls outside the realm of the norm. basically anything that society doesnt view as normal, or something that goes against what the majority does

so since i love music, i decided to do my project on music, more specifically the metal/hardcore subcultures. since most of us, if not all of us, are music nuts here, i figure this would be one good place to gather information. i went to a local concert venue the other day (which is full of mostly local metalcore/indie/hardcore/the occasional death metal bands) to do some observing.

what i ask of you, the pit, is to answer a few simple questions. feel free to answer all or any of the following:

what is your favorite genre of music? (list a few examples of bands)

why does this genre of music appeal to you?

what first got you into heavy music?

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media?

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands?

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind?

define poser

do you take pride in the music you listen to? this should be an obvious answer...

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? if you hate it, tell us what you do in a mosh pit when you see someone doing it...

and finally, the fun part

this is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized this part doesnt really matter, but if you have something to say, then say it

so, all im asking is that you take the time out to answer a few questions and help a fellow UGer out
What is really heavy music?
-------
what is your favorite genre of music? Metal e.g. Iron Maiden, Metallica, Opeth, Children of Bodom

why does this genre of music appeal to you? Lots of power in the music and great musicianship. Sounds good.

what first got you into heavy music? Green Day which lead to System of a Down then metal.

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? I think it needs a change to evolve with illegal downloads.

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? Well I suppose just because they are mainstream it doesn't mean they suck (often does). I try to judge each band on music and not how successful they are, although most of that indie stuff and youmeatsix stuff does my head in.

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way. Pretty normally. Normally wear t-shirt and jeans or cargo pants and skate shoes.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? WTF but then I wouldn't care. Its cool that we have the same music interests.

define poser
Someone who pretends to like something for what people think rather than liking something because you like it for what it is.

do you take pride in the music you listen to? Yes

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? I cannot see why it exists.

this is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized this part doesnt really matter, but if you have something to say, then say it.

I hate it when people say that a band 'sold out' for changing style slightly or have sold out because one of their albums became more successful than the others. Oh I also want bands around that will last rather than one hit wonder kinda stuff
Last edited by a_man at Oct 15, 2008,
what is your favorite genre of music? Generally heavy metal like Lamb of God and Pantera, but I listen to a HUGE variety. I'm listening to Norwegian folk music right now and I can't be more impressed.

why does this genre of music appeal to you? It's hard, fast, and gets you pumped. Technically challenging too, as I am a guitar player.

what first got you into heavy music? I just kept listening to heavier and heavier music. I think System of a Down started me off.

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? I don't really pay attention, I'm in it for the music.

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? They suck.

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way? Jeans and a T-shirt. Sort of turning preppy, but not too much.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? What the ****? I can understand the cowboy if he was a Pantera fan...

define poser. Someone who pretends to be something they are not

do you take pride in the music you listen to? Yes, of course. I love music

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music. Never been to a concert

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? if you hate it, tell us what you do in a mosh pit when you see someone doing it... Hardcore dancing is stupid

this is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized.
It sucks, k?
Metallica, SlipKnoT, Rammstein, Exploited, Motörhead, Ramones.

I like lots of stuff, mainly heavy stuff and punk. I like these types of music because it's fast, energetic, exciting and no bullshit.

System of a Down-Chop Suey! The first heavy song I liked.

Shit

Don't ask me this question for good reasons.

I like t-shirt and jeans. it's simple, it's cheap it's my own choice. I'm not gonna go around dressed up like some prick coz some other prick said that it's what i should wear. i'm not gonna do what some idiot like that tells me to do. i am my own person and i am proud of it.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind?
if i saw a cowboy i'd be thinking "Ha! Wierd"

if i saw a gangsta then i'd be thinking "F*ck off"

define poser
someone who isn't original and claims to be, and thinks he is the best.

someone who looks down on people who are different for any reason and bullies them.

do you take pride in the music you listen to? this should be an obvious answer...
yes

jumping around and headbanging. singing if you know the words. well that's what i do.

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? if you hate it, tell us what you do in a mosh pit when you see someone doing it...
don't like it. i think it's ridiculous like the music. if i saw someone in a mosh pit doing it i'd jump on them.

this is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized this part doesnt really matter, but if you have something to say, then say it
i'm not going to rant. i've done enough to keep me sane. i could REALLY go for it if i wanted to.

the internet doesn't allow the tone of voice to be presented in the way you would like.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
what is your favorite genre of music?
Melodic Death Metal - Insomnium, Dark Tranquility, Arsis.

It's awesome duuuude.

Slayer, Opeth, awesomness.

Don't care much about it. I leave it alone if it leaves me alone.

I tend to just not care, but sometimes i like to go elitist on people just to see how they react/get on their nerves.

Errr jeans, t-shirt, nothing out of the ordinary.

"lol wtf?"

define poser
one of those scene kids who listen to A7x and slipknot and all that >_> though that's not enough, they need to know nothing about actual metal and claim that all there nu-metal/metalcore they listen to is metal.

do you take pride in the music you listen to?
Well, yeah, but I can joke about my taste in music.

Never been

You look like a complete dick if you do it If i saw someone doing it in a mosh pit though, I'd just get the fuck out of their way.

LOL I HATE ALL MAINSTREAM MUSIC LOLZ!!!!1111111111!!!!!!!!11
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.

Hardcore and Progressive metal. For example, Architects, Between the Buried and Me, Dragonforce, Born of Osiris, August Burns Red etc.

It sounds good to my ears.

I started liking punk and stuff when I was about 10 and it slowly got heavier and heavier.

You can probably guess what I think.

They all suck really. I hate pretty much all of it, all the bands sound exactly the same, especially that Indie crap.

Skinny jeans, Slip-on shoes or sometimes skate shoes, studded belts, tight t-shirts and hoodies. My favourite make is Atticus if that gives you idea.

And I dress this way because I think I look good, therefore I feel pretty good as well.

I might think 'What a tit', but I wouldn't care that much. He's there to listen to music, that's cool.

define poser

No.

Yes, I do. I love the msic I listen to and introduce it to everyone I can. If they don't like it, that's cool... just give it a chance.

Moshing, hardcore dancing, lots of sweat.

People can do it they want. I love hardcore but the dancing looks kinda silly though... so yeah, if you want to do it, that's cool. Not my thing though.

Nah, cba.

Sorry about typos and shit. Too long a post to bother checking.
Technical death metal such as Nile, Decapitated, Origin and Brain Drill

It's probably the most challenging to compose and play

Cousin

Pathetic, so much focus on simple, unoriginal music

Some are alright, but the underground bands are where the real talent's at

Band tees, black jeans or camos
It's just comfortable and suits me

Ahh awesome, they completely screw up stereotypes

define poser
Someone who pretends to be something they're not

YES

A lot of sweaty bodies tightly packed, insane moshpits with people flying everywhere

I hate it, moshing is an expression of anger to go with the music but I swinging your arms around and touching your toes doesn't really express anything, plus it looks ****ing stupid. I also hate how these hardcore dancers always take up the space for a moshpit preventing others from expressing themselves
ohai little sig.
what is your favorite genre of music? Metalcore, Avenged Sevenfold, ATREYU, Bullet for my Valentine, and August Burns Red. And post-hardcore, Story of the Year, Greeley Estates, Chiodos, and Rise Against.

why does this genre of music appeal to you? I like both because it's just what I enjoy. I percieve it as enjoyable music.

what first got you into heavy music? My family and friends mostly. I just found I like it more.

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? I think that people need to look beyond the surface. If you want music that all sounds the same, do for it.

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? I think anyone who can pretend to be somebody else who's mainstream gets mainstream themselves. Like I said before, if you want all the songs on your playlist to sound the same, go for mainstream.

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way: I dress as myself. Studded belts, long hair, dark colors are what floats my boat. I don't care about what other people look like, I care what I like.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? They have a good taste in music.

define poser Poser: somebody who pretends to be somebody else for attention

do you take pride in the music you listen to? Hell no. Why should I think I'm better than others because of who I listen to?

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music: Um, crowd singing/screaming along, light moshing (pushing type moshing) and lots of stagedives. The band has to jump around and look like they're having just as much fun as the crowd.

It's fun.

Popular music tends to sound the same. Same key, same beat, same melody, same autotuned vocals, etc
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
what is your favorite genre of music? Metal: Megadeth, Evile, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Deicide etc.

It's fast and aggressive, can't explain why, I just like it.

Tear's don't Fall by Bullet For My Valentine surprisingly

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? I don't think about it.

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? Most of them bore me.

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way. I normally wear tracksuit and t shirt around the house or just out on the road with my friends. It's comfortable. Going into town or anything I wear jeans and a band t-shirt and going out out (if that makes sense) I wear jeans and a shirt.

'That's strange'

define poser Someone who pretends like a type of music to fit in with other people?

do you take pride in the music you listen to? Yeah.

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music I've only been at one so there was moshing, headbanging and singing along with the band.

I don't like it but don't hate it. Though if someone's purposefully trying to hurt people the they're idiots.
MUNSTER

Heineken Cup Champions 2005/2006 2007/2008

what is your favorite genre of music? Metal/metalcore

why does this genre of music appeal to you? It can be melodic and brutal at the same time.

what first got you into heavy music? In Flames

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? It's ok

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? They're ok too.

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way. A black shirt and jeans becuase I look better in black.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? "I think he's a pretty cool guy."

define poser- a person who likes certain things only to fit it.

do you take pride in the music you listen to? yes of course.

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music. uhh.....

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? Based on what I've seen, I hate it since it looks ridiculous
what is your favorite genre of music? Metal of all sorts, J-Rock and J-Pop (Megadeth, UVERworld, AKB48)

why does this genre of music appeal to you? It's fast and aggressive. (Metal, that is)

what first got you into heavy music? I went from Linkin Park, to Slipknot to Slayer.

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? Nothing.

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? American bands don't appeal to me much, but some modern Japanese music is nice, I think.

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way. Band T-shirt, hoodie and jeans. Because it's comfortable.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? "LOLWAT"

define poser People who pretend to be into a certain type of music or fashion only to "fit in".

do you take pride in the music you listen to? Well, yeah.

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music Awesome.

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? if you hate it, tell us what you do in a mosh pit when you see someone doing it... Hate it.

Progressive Metak e.g. Opeth, Dream Theater, Ne Obliviscaris, BTBAM, Cynic

It rarely gets boring and there can be so much variety within just one song.

In Flames

The internet has made it a lot easier for underground labels and such so it's quite good.

Some are good, some are not. Like all music.

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way.

Shorts, T-shirt. It's comfy.

Cool.

define poser.

Someone who takes others views for their own and cares more about image.

Yes.

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music.

I go and watch the band, maybe go in the occasional place.

It has it's place. At Hardcore shows. And only at Hardcore shows.

this is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized this part doesnt really matter, but if you have something to say, then say it.

If you're pissed off because a band you don't like is popular then I really don't care. Whether commercialised or not, the artist has worked hard to get there.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
drone/doom.
jesu.
SUNN O)))

it puts me in another world. when either playing or listening.

my friend. and just curiosity really.

it's alright, i suppose.

they don't bother me. i love all music.

jeans, plain t-shirts, tracksuit bottoms.

it would get my attention. i'd think nothing of it though.

define poser.
to me, a show-offs. close-minded fools. like, "so and so's the best."

yes of course!

i have not experienced yet.

i have no interest. they can do what they feel like doing.
i've only been to one concert and i stayed clear of the pit.

what is your favorite genre of music? Heavy, but melodic stuff like Lamb of God, Pantera, Dethklok.

why does this genre of music appeal to you? I'll be fucked if I know.

what first got you into heavy music? The first album I bought was Alien Ant Farm's ANThology, and the first metal album I bought was Slipknot's Vol 3 and my tastes have evolved from there.

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? there are some bands I like which would be considered mainstream, but mostly the mainstream stuff is unoriginal and very repetetive.

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? There are some ones I like, but mostly THEY FUCKING SUCK.

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way I usually dress like a bit of a generic metal head, I wear band shirts because I like the band and want to help support them and jeans/shorts, because they're comfortable. Unless I'm at 6th form, in which case I wear formal trousers, shirt and tie because I have to.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? I would think they look a little out of place, but if they like the music and like dressing like that it's good that they don't conform to the stereotypes and just dress how they want..

define poser Someone who only like a certain genre/band/style because it's popular.

do you take pride in the music you listen to? Yes.

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music "Thrashin' like a maniac, whiplash!"

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? It's more retarded than killing off Bobby Ewing and then bringing him back, passing it off as a dream.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Alter Bridge, Coheed & Cambria, Alkaline Trio, Buckethead, a wide variety really. (not really heavy)

Catchy riffs and lyrics

BYOB by System of a Down

Don't really care

I like them, most successful bands make really catchy music that is easy on the ear.

Jeans, polo shirt, jumper/cardigan, plimsolls

Oh my god! Diversity! The horror!

=/

define poser
I listen to metal like slipknot

Not particularly, I listen to almost anything that has a good beat

End up with a sore throat from all the singing

Hate it, bunch of twats

I rant about people who rant about mainstream music. It's mainstream for a reason; simple, catchy lyrics with a simple beat. Technical death metal doesn't appeal to people just wanting to relax to music. Quit being elitist and enjoy music for what it is.
Last edited by alexlemon2 at Oct 15, 2008,
what is your favorite genre of music? Hard rock/Heavy Metal: Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater, ...

why does this genre of music appeal to you? It gives me adrenaline, it's fun to play along with, sing along with, bang your head with, ..

what first got you into heavy music? My environment, in 2nd grade a lot of people were listening to Slipknot and the brand new St. Anger, so I listened to it and I liked it too and then my taste evolved and improved

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? There are still great bands out there, but most of the music on the radio sounds generic and all the same, especially the female singers singing about how beautiful they are and how nobody can get them, or the whining that everything sucks and life is bad, I hate it.

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? See previous question, everything sounds the same, nobody's original.

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way Bandshirt, jeans, skateshoes, I like supporting a band I like, jeans are comfortable, and I skateboard so I don't have any other shoes.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? He must be out of his place, but it doesn't bother me.

define poser Somebody who tries to be something he's not or doesn't really want to be, for instance by following trends that his/her friends follow, buying branded clothing to fit in, ..

do you take pride in the music you listen to? this should be an obvious answer... Yeah definitely, I just did a lecture in French about the history of Heavy Metal, nobody in my class liked the music but they thought the lecture was great so they respected it.

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music A lot of headbanging, shouting along and metal horns up in the air, also alot of moshing but I don't participate in that.

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? if you hate it, tell us what you do in a mosh pit when you see someone doing it... I think it looks pretty funny on YouTube, I have never seen it done here in Belgium though, but I don't have a problem with it.

this is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized Don't have alot more to say, I don't like that there aren't that many bands as there used to be that base their songs on guitarriffs or melodies, and that there is too much electronic music on the radio, I'm not a fan of that.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
what is your favorite genre of music? Grindcore.
Pig Destroyer, iwrestledabearonce

Its the best ****ing screaming music ever.

iron maiden and metallica.

lol, were all pirates

lol, radio.

black skinny jeans, hoodie, shirt, shoes.
it appeals to me.

**** YEA.

define poser
anyone who imitates a culture without knowing what the **** they are doing or they just sort of go by the usual bias and take the label anyway.

**** YEA.

pussy moshing to the left. hardcore dancing to the right.

i stay out of both.
i paid to listen to the ****ing band.
oh yea, and i usually have to hold the camera steady to stream to youtube.

Music becomes commercialized via Radio,Youtube, Myspace, Television.
in some cases, the band somehow becomes shit.
but they always have thier older stuff.
and you always have your memories.
Digital Distribution sucks.
I listen to many things, like heavy metal (Metallica or Lamb of God), funk, classic rock, blues, rap, some reggae-ish stuff (311 and Sublime)

Since your survey is about heavy music, I will answer why I like that. I like it because it makes me energetic, and I just like how it sounds. :P

what first got you into heavy music? I've listened to Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath for a fairly long time, but a couple years ago, my brother showed me a lot of heavier bands like Pantera and Tool, and from there it kind of progressed.

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? There's a lot of bad things, but there are still good artists in there, in most genres.

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? Ermm.. I danno? I don't really like the super-popular guys like Lil Wayne or TI, but I do like stuff like The Roots and Common, who have no doubt gotten a share of success.

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way T-Shirt and cargo shorts. It's comfortable, and it usually doesn't look too bad.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? Cool.

define poser Someone who pretends to be something they have no idea about.

do you take pride in the music you listen to? this should be an obvious answer... Yes.

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music Never been to a metal concert.

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? if you hate it, tell us what you do in a mosh pit when you see someone doing it... It's kinda fun, but of I've never been in a real mosh.
Saint Louis Blues
Anything progressive or technical really. metalcore and the like.

I guess cuz its really energetic and the technicality is awesome

any pop punk band with screaming i guess, and it slowly progressed from there

a lot of it is really similar sounding, but there are some pretty good mainstream artists.

uhh see previous question. i have no problem with it

skater i guess.

"awesome!"

define poser
someone who listens to a certain type of music for the sole purpose of trying to be cool.

well its just music to me. i love it , but i dont exactly take pride, or think im more sophisticated or anything

lots of pushing and screaming along to songs. and occasional air guitar by me hahaha

gay. especially when kids in tight clothes do it
Quote by jetfuel495

what i ask of you, the pit, is to answer a few simple questions. feel free to answer all or any of the following:

Black metal, see profile.
Just does.
A local college radio program.
Its pure shit to be honest.
HAHAHAHAHAHA, see above.
Shorts/jeans, band shirts. It's comfortable.
Nothing, I see it all the time.
define poser

Obviously...
I go, I drink too much. I wake up with a pounding headache.
I think it's gay. Hardcore dancing is not moshing by the way. I generally punch whoever is doing it in the face.

No, its pointless. These bands already make a mockery of themselves by conforming to what a record label wants them to produce and play instead of playing the music they want to play.

so, all im asking is that you take the time out to answer a few questions and help a fellow UGer out

There.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
what is your favorite genre of music? Prgogressive stuff (BTBAM, Quo Vadis, Into Eternity)

why does this genre of music appeal to you? It's intense

what first got you into heavy music? Avenged Sevenfold (yes)

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? It sucks

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? Shittyness

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way I dress like a surfer/skater.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? Cool, he likes the same music as me.

define poser People that listen to music genres just to let everyone know that they do.

do you take pride in the music you listen to? wut?

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music Lots of decibels, circle pit with people knowing how to act in a pit.

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? If it's a hardcore show it can be cool, but in a death metal show it's retarded.

this is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized Bands selling out suck.
ಠ_ಠ
am I the only one that laughs at people who think metallica, iron maiden, led zep, .. are 'heavy' groups ?

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Folk metal like Primordial, Agalloch, Ensiferum

It feel epic some time in the case of Doomsword or Primordial, it's diverse,

Iron Maiden and Opeth

I think it's over saturated with bands that don't contribute much to changing and expanding the genres

I think they have little to no talent or skill at their instruments for the most part and that in the case of some bands *coughJonasBrotherscough* that they don't deserve the fame or money

Band shirt and jeans. It's comfortable

Why are you here?

define poser
Some on who thinks they are immersed in the scene of they choice, but only really knows the mainstream bands

do you take pride in the music you listen to? yes

I dunno I've never been to a folk metal concert

Hate it with a passion. It gets people like seriously hurt sometimes and thats not what pits are for. I leave them alone though because usually they travel in packs.

this is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized
No
Death metal/Metalcore- In Flames, Soilwork, At The Gates, Trivium

Melodic but still quite heavy, fun to play along too and has alot of energy

Green Day, to Radiohead, to Tool, to Death Metal

Some of them can be quite good, such as Trivium, but alot of them try to appeal to the trends and make music which people will easily like because the band are attractive or cool.

Hoody, Jeans, Slip on shoes, sometimes band t shirt or just plain t shirt

Somebody whos not afraid to listen to music that their friends may not like

define poser
somebody who either does something so people will think they are cool, or pretends to.

Yah, its the music which appealed to me and im proud to follow it

very energetic crowd... lots of moshing and headbanging, alot of unnecessary though...

I have to say im not really familiar with it...

old school style heavy metal - maiden, whitesnake, def leppard, queen, acdc, thin lizzy

lots of cool guitar work, great singers - just people doing a good job of playing what theyve chosen to play

my dad

no worse than its been before. theres lots of good bands out there, even for older style fans like me. you just have to look.

not my sort of thing

cowboy boots, jeans, t - usualy have a guitar as well. feel pretty naked without it so that might count

what the hell type of question is this? but i dont think i'd think anything major - maybe, i wonder what they are doing here?

define poser

(in music) someone who listens to music because of the way that they will be percieved for doing so, not because they like it.

i dont know about pride - i dont own the rights to the music. i didn't make it.

go to the concert - enjoy concert - leave

quite funny - dont do mosh pits. rather watch the band

there will always be commercial music, and to be honest it shouldn't matter. the people who make it like it, the people who buy it like it. i dont, but then they dont usually like what i listen to. so i dont see why anyone should be any more or less wrong than anyone else.

as a side note - it seems like your a bit too interested in should we all hate each other.

good luck
what is your favorite genre of music? (list a few examples of bands) Metal/Death Metal etc

The black dahlia murder, Meshuggah, Bury your dead, LoG, Arch enemy, Bleeding through, Pantera, Darkest Hour, Annihilator, Judas Priest, Overkill, As I lay dying ,Shadows Fall, i can go on.. (Full list on my page)

I like the rhythm, killer solos, breakdowns, vocals.

When i was in fifth grade I remember listening to my first metal song War ensemble by slayer. Pretty straightforward on from there.

Changed alot since the 90's.

Not really into it..

I dress whatever looks good on me. I only wear my favorite band shirts when i go to their shows, but thats about it.

wat

define poser
Somebody who thinks their a metalhead when they only listen to slipknot and DF..

do you take pride in the music you listen to? yep

Getting pushed around nomatter where im at, trying to stay away from the pit, the usual chuck norris infront of me headbanging while his hair slaps me across the face..you know the usual.

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? if you hate it Ill get dominated but i dont have a problem with people doing it as long as they enjoy it i guess.

Ill move on.
Last edited by Insicion at Oct 15, 2008,
- Well, mostly thrash metal (sodom, gama bomb, exodus, old metallica, destruction, kreator...)

- Well, i always loved punk/harcore, and this type of music to me, is a faster and more extreme version of punk

- Iron Maiden

- Well, with the internet, the music industry is kinda suffering, plus with the evolution of technology, things seem to get worse (IMO, i loved the rawness and realness of the vinyls)

- Well, i have nothing against sucess and todays mainstream bands, but i do have something against the likes of mtv and etc, which care more about the fads and money

- Well mostly band/plain shirts, either black or white, some normal cut jeans, and chucks, IMO i like simplicity

- Well id high5 them ahaha

define poser
- Well, for example, lets say some guy listens to X band just to look cool, or dresses certain way, imo hes a poser

- Yes i do

- Well, even tho moshing can be fun, id rather stay real close to the PA and headbang there

- IMO, i dont like it, looks silly, but each to theyr own i guess

this is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized
- Ill just leave this empty, only saying that im against most mainstream artist who are only in there for the money
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

What is your favorite genre of music? (list a few examples of bands)
My favourite genre is metal, eg In Flames, Opeth, Insomnium, Enslaved etc

Not a clue.

I honestly don't know, but I know In Flames was my first 'heavy' band.

Just fine.

Good.

Jeans, shirt/t-shirt, zip up hoodie, because it's comfortable, easy and looks passable.

"Uh...okay."

define poser
A difficult or confusing question.

No.

Uh, talk to people, enjoy the show, leave?

Hate it. If I see it in a mosh pit I avoid said pit.

This is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized:

...no thanks, I'm not a prat.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.

-death metal/deathcore
Whitechapel, Job for a Cowboy, Carnifex, Emmure, A Different Breed of Killer

-The sound is ****ing amazing and give you a rush

-I first started listenin to stuff like slipknot(still do) and lamb of god, then started to try and broaden my musicial horizons and found the genre

-I think death metal and deathcore get alot of negative rep because of stupid fukers that say its scary and they do stupid shit(Columbine, for example)

-There pretty good, I dunno

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way ?

-Shorts and band t, it's comfy, Doesn't take long to get ready

-It's nice to see them supporting the band by being there but don't wear that shit to a concert cause it makes you look like a poser

define poser

-A person who talks about something or says they listen to the music, but don't know a goddamn thing about it

-Hell yes, thats why I wear their T-shirt, to represent

-A very freindly environment, almost like a family(If your nice to people), alot of moshpits, hxc dancin, and headbangin, even the ocasional sing along

-Its OK, I ociasionally dance, but sometimes I don't like it,depends on the song

-No comment
XBL Gamertag:thor7861
message me you're from UG first

I can't think of anything to put here

what is your favorite genre of music? Death metal and most of its subgenres, Decapitated, Cryptopsy, Children Of Bodom, Dark Tranquility etc..

why does this genre of music appeal to you? I always liked heavy music, and looked for the heaviest stuff i could find when i was young, also liked good melodies, so i found my fave genre; melodeath which has both.

what first got you into heavy music? in arly 06, and more so after i went to Download Fest that year.

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? I dont pay much attention to the charts or anything, most of it sounds the same and generic. the odd song might stand out to me though.

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? Indie, RnB, Pop and Dance bores my to shit in general, Indie and Rap especially, Indie because they put on a stupid voice to do the vocals, and rap nowadays tends to lack all originallity. But hey, if you like it go for it.

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way. Bootcut jeans, blue grey or black, band tshirts or some skate branded shirts the band tee are black, but i like to wear some bright tees everynow and again. As for hoodies, got 2 black, a blue and a red one, i vaguely try to match clothes together but i don't really have a clue what i'm doing.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? I would be a bit surprised, but i as long as he wasnt there just to heckle, i wouldn't mind in the slightest

define poser. Someone who tries to fit in with a group of people just to be popular and without having any knowledge of that group of people.

For sure.

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music. lots of jumping around, headbanging, moshpits, crowdsurfers, the odd wall of death, metal horns, shouting along, booze, bottlefights and general fun.

this is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized this part doesnt really matter, but if you have something to say, then say it. said most of it before, it tends to be shite in most cases though.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Last edited by dan ramP at Oct 15, 2008,

Thrash: Slayer, Evile
Blues: Buddy guy, Walter trout

Both non conformist enough for you??????????!!1!!!

Heavyness and tunefulness respectively, i feed off both so they complement each other. I don't think many bands can pull of both. calssic rock is an overlap I like.

A tv show on rockworld tv featuring evile.

Mixed. non indie indie is shocking.

some such as black stone cherry are amazing, it's refreshing to see some great bands make it.

normal tight is jeans, dark or light tops, hoodie, skate shoes or converse.
Fassionable ish but non preppy or chavvy, prepresents music taste.

Yeah! He isn't obsessed with his social stereotype.

define poser

One who dresses or talks themselves up to be cool eg indie band, guy who cant play guitar for shit but can talk the talk.

hell yeah

Turn up, bands have an almost cult following so the atmosphere is amazing. Some parts of the crowd are just mental: pits etc.

looks a bit dumb, cant say i've ever seen it outside that youtube video.

not really
apart from when bands: pendulum, metallica etc completely change their style it can be annoying to their early fans. i'm not staying bands should never progress though.

Hope this helps, thanks though it's nice to vent my views
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11

- generally listen to alot of things, but when it comes to heavy music, my favorite genres are melodic death metal and some metalcore (insomnium, dark tranquillity, kalmah, in flames, ATG / the black dahlia murder, as i lay dying, killswitch engage)

-i just started exploring and at first it was the technicality but then the heaviness just appealed to me

- back when i was a freshman in high school i heard some my chemical romance songs and it was the first music i had ever heard where the singer would scream (yeah, he did it sometimes) and from there it just progressed, i listened to a bit of bullet for my valentine after that, then i got hooked on scandinavian death metal.

-its alright, i catch a song or two every once in a while. some of the bands are really good out there, but then theres always a few knockoffs

-i guess i just answered my question before i asked it

-blue jeans, and a black tee. usually a band tee, if not from express

-id think he was a bit out of place, but, then again, its pretty badass that theyd be there (if theyre enjoying it)

define poser

-one of those guys who just does things cuz its cool

-yeah, i like the music i listen to.

moshing. lots of it.

i think its a bit too erratic, its dangerous, i steer clear from it. watching it is kinda interesting though.

i dont have any rants, but several UGers do
I like a lot of different metal and rock genres. But if I had to pick one, progressive metal.

because it is very complex, which provides me with a challenge as a musician, and is therefore a lot more entertaining to listen to than other genres. It also sounds a lot more unique than other genres, because it holds no real limits.

RATM. I heard "Killing in the Name" on GTA San Andreas, so then I looked up Rage, which got me into other bands too. Guitar Hero also helped.

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? I think it's great. It's just like other decades, in that there are new, groundbreaking bands, and there are bands that copy off of each other and are forgotten. It has only progressively gotten more diverse with time.

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? Isn't this the same as the last question? I think that there are great bands that become "mainstream" (however you define that), and horrible bands that become "mainstream", either because of their audience listening to their records mostly for something other than music (appearance, it's trendy), or because the target audience is completely different than I am (such as a 5 year old girl).

Band t-shirt, jeans, long hair. I wear band t-shirts because it gives me a way to connect to others and make new friends. Anything else I wear is simply because I like the way it looks.

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? It would depend if he looked like he enjoyed being there or not. If they enjoyed being there, I would be a bit surprised, but glad that they are unique and are having a good time. If they looked like they really didn't want to be there, I would question why they're there, and hope that they would leave.

define poser Somebody who tries to become a part of a group, who has no knowledge of the group, or no real shared values of the group, but tries anyway to either look cool, or to fit in.

do you take pride in the music you listen to? No, because I think that would be a bit immature. I only listen to the music I do because I like to listen to it, not because I see it as "better" than other music, as if other music is more "shameful".

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music. Headbanging, yelling, moshpits, jumping, everybody's exhausted, cheering, loud as possible, lots of cursing.

I don't like to hardcore dance myself, because I think it looks stupid. I've never tried moshing before, so I can't really say. But if nobody gets seriously injured, and it makes people happy, then I don't mind if people do it.

this is where you get to rant about mainstream music and what happens when music becomes commercialized this part doesnt really matter, but if you have something to say, then say it. Most of my opinion on this subject I've typed before in previous responses, but I'll say them anyway. Mainstream music is popular because it appeals to a wide number of people. If music I listen to becomes popular, great. You just have to realize that it's popular because other people like it for different reasons too, so idiot fanboys will appear. I try to just ignore them. If music I dislike is popular, good for them (the artist & the fans). I can just stick to listening to my music. They like that type of music for reasons I can't see, just like I like my type of music for reasons many others can't see, and that's okay. As long as we all like something, I'm okay with that.

Hardcore/Alternative: Coheed & Cambria, Killswitch Engage, Avenged Sevenfold, and Bullet For My Valentine

The melody of hard rock, with the intensity of heavy metal.

Listening to Dream Theater and John Petrucci solo work

Money. Always has been the ultimate goal, and always will be. There is no getting around it. No funds, no tours. No tours, no press. No press, no funds.

There is a cult of mediocrity out there that praises most music for being less than awesome, singers that can't really sing, and people that can't play guitar; they are very spirited nonetheless.

I where more of a preppy style. Unfortunately theres not escaping that highschool stigma even though that time of my life is long gone. I like to have a professional appearance at all times, you never know who you will meet and who you need to make a good first impression on.

Nothing, I thought it was about the music. Once image surpasses talent, or musicianship, a genre, band, or person is lost.

define poser

Someone who claims to know more then they actually do.

Bullet for my Valentine is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. Other than that I am a proud fan.

People gathered and rocking out to the sounds they love. I am not into that whole moshing thing, but I respect people's way of expressing their excitement, but again not at the expense of the music itself. When drugs, image, or conduct become more important, that is a very sad thing.

..what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? if you hate it, tell us what you do in a mosh pit when you see someone doing it.

Indifferent. I don't do it, but who am I to infringe on someone's good time? Unless people are getting hurt.

No rants, just what I said before: There is a cult of mediocrity out there that praises most music for being less than awesome, singers that can't really sing, and people that can't play guitar; they are very spirited nonetheless.
We'll Have You Dead Pretty Soon

Quote by dariusfinch
it means that people go to this to thread to masturbate
then leave without so much as a damn thank you!!

It pisses me off!!!

*masturbates*
*leaves*
Metal (Progressive, Thrash, Stoner, Northern European):
Mastodon, Slayer, Lamb Of God, BLS, High On Fire, Amon Amarth, Pantera...

I feel like alot of the bands in these genres are in it more for the music than anything else, and that translates into music that isnt just heavy, but also darker and more personal. Also, it just sounds good to me, and I by no means am a fan of every band in any of these genres.

I used to be heavy into punk rock, which was something i feel like i did and still do identify with. Bands like Bad Religion and Nofx really are genuine in tha way i described above. As i got into playing guitar more, I think I was more impressed with the musicianship in heavier genres. Most people think metalheads are just angry failed musicians, but bands like Mastodon and High On Fire can create heavy songs that just make your jaw drop because they think differently.

Its obviously crap, but I think i like it that way. While I support my favorite bands as much as I can, the fact they aren't huge gives it a more personal experience when you listen to the records. I think that 's a big part of metal. A lot of listeners use it as a release tool, to get away from the shit the "mainstream" world throws at you.

Most are terrible, and I try not to get on people about the music they like, but Christ they're awful. And very few of my favorite bands get that kind of notoriety outside their genres. Some more famous bands break that Radio-Mold, though. The White Stripes, Queens Of The Stone Age and The Raconteurs have always been favorites of mine because they're different. They have they're own styles and influences> They can be Catchy and deep without leaving a cheap taste in your mouth.

Usually just jeans and a T-shirt (usually black). I wear what's comfortable.

I dont really care what people do with their lives. If they came to enjoy and respect a good band's music, then I have no problem with it. If they came for another reason, then they paid American dollars out of their own pocket for no reason, and that's also their business.

define poser
I dont really use that word too much, but if you're a person who embraces a lifestyle without taking it seriously or to gain social status, i guess you're a poser (and pathetic).

Of course I do. I've gotten a few friends into bands I enjoy that they might never of heard of before, because I love it, and I think they will too.

Slayer's Got Epic Mosh Pits and legendary speed at their live shows. Lamb of God had the infamous "Wall of Death" and High on Fire plays with enough volume to collapse a city block. Its rarely dissapointing.

Not quite sure what it is, but if it enhances that person's experience, good for them. They look like idiots, but good for them.

I cant even imagine a perfect music industry, so I dont really care.
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
what is your favorite genre of music? (list a few examples of bands) Death Metal like Nickleback and Slipknot

why does this genre of music appeal to you? ITS ****IN BR00TULZ

what first got you into heavy music? Oasis

what do you think of the current state of the music industry/mass media? Pretty good, so many good kvlt deth metUl bands working with the media.

what do you think specifically of todays mainstream/successful bands? ****IN BR00TULZ

describe your usual style of dress and why you dress this way: Usually skinny shirts and skinny jeans, all the br00Tul kids do it these days

if you were at a heavy metal concert and you saw a cowboy looking kind of guy or a total gangsta, what would be going through your mind? I would want to **** him into oblivion in a second, he is most likely a cutie.

define poser. Faggots who like shit like Opeth and Children of Bodom, that is so emo

do you take pride in the music you listen to? this should be an obvious answer... Yes

describe a typical concert experience for your favorite genre of music. Br00Tul mosh pits for nickleback

what are your opinions on hardcore dancing? love it? hate it? why do it? if you hate it, tell us what you do in a mosh pit when you see someone doing it... Looks stupid

So many deth metul bands are already in the mainstream. I don't care if it's commercialized because it already is.

This is a joke.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.