Page 1 of 2
Does anyone have some tips for good stage presence?

I've got synchronized headbanging and a good stance but I would like to move around some more. I'm planning on playing a song for the talent show because I've never done it before. This is my last chance to do it, and I want to make it amazing.

I'm playing "Reptar, King Of The Ozone" by The Devil Wears Prada if you're wondering.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
look cool
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by MetalMegaMan
Does anyone have some tips for good stage presence?

I've got synchronized headbanging and a good stance but I would like to move around some more. I'm planning on playing a song for the talent show because I've never done it before. This is my last chance to do it, and I want to make it amazing.

I'm playing "Reptar, King Of The Ozone" by The Devil Wears Prada if you're wondering.

Hmmm... how are you going to move around some more....
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Go nude
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Run around, jump off things - See Slash in the live GnR vid, In Chigago
*Two songs from my old demo, with my band Snakeskin in now in my profile. Feedback?

*Cockfoster
Quote by CrackAddict2000
Hmmm... how are you going to move around some more....

I just feel awkward sometimes when I'm in front of people, and i tend to stay still.
Just dance like a mother****er. The coolest guys on stage, are the ones who don't care if they look stupid.
In my experiance good stage presence is all about confidence. Go on stage like you own it and people will be drawn to you because it is your stage. Go out and play and play well.
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
If you're doing a talent show i wouldnt headbang as people would find it more humourous than cool. Move around the stage and let the music relaly get into you so you move too the music and with it. always try and look at the crowd too and make eye contact with as many differwent people as possible, that way they feel part of the performance.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Isn't it one of those things you eithe rhave or you don't, and is hard to teach?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
good live song, play it well.
I duno, just headbang, walk around a bit, do you have other people playing it with you, if so, interact with them.
Quote by geeve420
In my experiance good stage presence is all about confidence. Go on stage like you own it and people will be drawn to you because it is your stage. Go out and play and play well.

sounds logical. i guess all i can really do is practice.
play a solo with your wang
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by MetalMegaMan
I just feel awkward sometimes when I'm in front of people, and i tend to stay still.

Ah ok, then drink beer before, or smoke a cigarette on-stage, or get a wickedcool outfit, don't think about those people, you're there to entertain them, like they care how you behave on stage when your playing is good. What do you have to lose? It's your last chance like you said, so act as crazya s you can, let the audience feel your energy.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
if you go out there and use some "synchronized headbanging" and your rock "stance". You'll look an idiot, just play the music and if you enjoy it it will take you away with it
Do a Noel Gallagher. Chew gum, look arrogant, the odd cheeky smile at the lead singer.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Powersllides, bunnyhops and guitar spins.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
Quote by Sixp0under
good live song, play it well.
I duno, just headbang, walk around a bit, do you have other people playing it with you, if so, interact with them.

I have a bassist (who will also be playing piano fills), a rhythm guitarist, vocalist, drummer, and I'll be lead guitar and backup vocals.

I could think of something creative to do between all of us.
Quote by Doug_Funnie
Run around, jump off things - See Slash in the live GnR vid, In Chicago

Link?
James "The Rev" Sullivan
1981-2009
May He Rest In Peace
Quote by Behzad93
Just dance like a mother****er. The coolest guys on stage, are the ones who don't care if they look stupid.

Yep, agreed.

If you care what you look like on stage, you'll be all stiff and stupid looking.
More so than if you actually look stupid, yet you're having fun.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us."
Quote by CrackAddict2000
Ah ok, then drink beer before, or smoke a cigarette on-stage, or get a wickedcool outfit, don't think about those people, you're there to entertain them, like they care how you behave on stage when your playing is good. What do you have to lose? It's your last chance like you said, so act as crazya s you can, let the audience feel your energy.

a few beers sounds good. i hope i can get away with it since it's at my high school.

thanks
Two words.

Devin Townsend.

I'm not saying rip him off, but his techniques totally work.

Piss everyone off from the start. Then, by the end of the show, have them all smiling.

IMO, Devin Townsend's one of the greatest frontmen ever. I mean, who else can say get away with saying:

"I'm the prettiest mother fucker in here! And also..... I SUCK DICK FOR CRACK MONEY!!!"

Classic.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Its a school talent show. Anything you do will make you look like a doofus. Unless you're trying to annoy someone, or are encouraging a stereotype, just play the song.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
be yourself.....who gives a shit if you look like a twat, make sure you enjoy yourself and don't be someone else to impress the crowd.

for perfect examples of stage presence, watch any live video of killswitch engage....adam dutkiewicz has the greatest stage presence iv ever seen and he makes everyone laugh and enjoys himself....

EDIT: Do a Noel Gallagher. Chew gum, look arrogant, the odd cheeky smile at the lead singer.

^^ except try not to let anyone push you off stage.
Last edited by mikeybaby123 at Oct 15, 2008,
If it's TDWP, just ****ing thrash. Move the neck of your guitar from forward to side during each headbanging motion. Like he does at 0:40, and throughout the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAutUObokCM

Actually, just watch any and all Protest The Hero videos to get ideas, they're the masters at this.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Oct 15, 2008,
Pull some kind of cool stunt on stage while playing. Like that backflip thingy the guitarist from paramore does.
"When I grow up, I wanna be a vampire bat"

Quote by mikeybaby123
be yourself.....who gives a shit if you look like a twat, make sure you enjoy yourself and don't be someone else to impress the crowd.

for perfect examples of stage presence, watch any live video of killswitch engage....adam dutkiewicz has the greatest stage presence iv ever seen and he makes everyone laugh and enjoys himself....

EDIT: Do a Noel Gallagher. Chew gum, look arrogant, the odd cheeky smile at the lead singer.

^^ except try not to let anyone push you off stage.

I loooove adam d's stage presence. That's kinda what I'm looking for.
Or you could perform heart surgery on stage.
"When I grow up, I wanna be a vampire bat"

Jump around in sync, headbang, metal stances, have your singer run around like crazy and 'sharing' the mic with you when you sing backing vocals, get on the guard rail/monitors if they have them when you solo, and dont. stop. moving.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
thanks for the advice guys

preciate it.
Quote by Jonn0

That was awesome.

Learn to do the dance that Bo Diddley is doing from 0:45 - 1:10 and you shall truly be amazing;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgzn7VyoqEw

Now I may sound like a fanboy, but "Dimebag" Darrell seemed like he had some great stage presence. I can't find the exact video but he would move around a lot and seemed like he had a ton of fun so give this a watch;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTR-tePa0Bg

Also, try some fun little things like he does with his guitar at 3:05.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
if you think too hard about how cool you look, it's gonna look forced and nobody is gonna feel it. if you just go nuts and stop caring about how you look, you're gonna look cool as hell.
Page 1 of 2