Page 1 of 2
ok, so my friend and i are starting a jam band. we are both guitarist/vocalists and we have a guy willing to play drums for us, but we initially didn't want a bass player. our logic here was that less people are better and not having one would give us a unique sound. then i came to the realization that not having one will limit us stylistically. so i'm putting it to a vote.

ps: if you answer, please tell me why or why not. i like to have solid reasoning.
wait a minute, fez. this isn't like the time you bought a hamster, named it virginity, and then lost it, is it? - kelso on that 70s show
Having been in bands without bass players I have to say that bass is absolutely essential. It leads the drums but also gives focus to the sound by empowering the guitar lines.
Bass players are actually quite essential to a band. without one, you might find that your sound lacks a "fullness", unless you are going for a hollower sound.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Man, All i can say is that if you guys can write good individual parts for 2 guitars, you may fill the void of not having a bottom end.
a unique sound isn't neccessarily good, without bass the music will sound empty. a bass player is essential.
Rockin' shit
Unless your Jack White, you need a bass player. It definately helps out most experienced drummers, and does give you a solid backbone to play on. And if by unique sound you mean thin and bad, then it would. Listen to Take It or Leave it by The Strokes, the album version. Itll show you what having no bass player would sound like, and then what a good, solid bass does in a song.
bass is almost ALWAYS a good idea. gives fuller sounds, allows for more harmonies and stuff, plus it adds the necessary bass sound to songs. i think you'll find that you will have too much high end if you don't get a bass player
Maybe one of you could play bass?
Or one of you could just use a octave pedal half the time if you wanted to be different.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by cincygrungeking
our logic here was that less people are better and not having one would give us an empty, crappy sound.

fixed.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
i agree. bass is esential to the sound. If our basists stops for a moment, the sound becomes really hollow and crappy. Of course having a basist that constantly improivises during the song is also bad... I may need to talk to our basist about that...
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Bass fills in the sound. Period.

It's like making a sidewalk, without filling in the cracks you'll fall and break an ankle or something. Your band is a dangerous sidewalk.
You need a bass player. Without one, it sounds like something is missing.
UG's AC/DC Lover
we've got no problem with a thinner, hollower sound
wait a minute, fez. this isn't like the time you bought a hamster, named it virginity, and then lost it, is it? - kelso on that 70s show
Take a bass out of any piece of music, you will be removing the heart and soul of the song. So yes it is needed, and White Stripes do use bass in the studio (from what i've heard).
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
All of you should trade in your guitars for bass guitars. Then hire a bass guitarist, that way you'd have 3 basses.
Last time I checked, there are only a handful of successful bands without a bassist. Maybe, just maybe, there's a reason.
My band needs a bassist. Most of our songs sound like crap without him. But we also have an amazing bassist.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
If you want to keep the people down, why don't one of you play bass? I find it way more important to a song then the rhythm guitar.

Either way, bass is essential.
if by unique sound you mean 2d and thin/no depth and hollow sounding go for it...

im hoping your getting this extreme sarcasm.
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
Quote by cincygrungeking
we've got no problem with a thinner, hollower sound

Not just hollow, which is ok enough, but good bass connects the melody-- guitar or vocal about half the time each-- with the beat provided by the drums.

This intermediary between rhythm and melody, though often subtle, plays an incredibly underappreciated role in popular music. Many songs don't just sound hollow without bass, they sound disjointed and sloppily put together.

If you're going for a "falling into havoc" type of sound this is fine. I love the Yeah Yeah Yeahs without bass, but that's because the music is supposed to be disjointed and sloppy.
As everyone else has already said, Bass is pretty much essential.

The bass is what bridges the gap between the drums and everything else.
You're trying to have a jam band with no bassist? Do I have this right? Maybe you haven't listened to a lot of jammy music, but how do you expect to keep a groove going with no bass? Bass IS necessary for any music requiring melody and harmony... ESPECIALLY jamming. If you're playing with just two guitarists, how do you expect to get anywhere musically? I mean yeah, one of you can play chords and the other can play lead but that gets boring as **** after a little while. And if you guys try to solo over eachother, forget about it, nothing will be keeping rhythmic harmony and it will sound empty and shitty. Bass provides another element, you can jam all day and night and not get bored.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Quote by gorkyporky
Of course having a basist that constantly improivises during the song is also bad... I may need to talk to our basist about that...

Not true....

Its bad to have a bassist that constantly improvises and gets lost in his improvisations and then can't make the correct changes in a song. If your bassist can still make the changes, and inbetween throw in some frilly fills, then its awesome.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
like others said, you NEED a bassist unless you're going for a very specific style. Bassists fill in the lower registers which prevent distortion guitars (especially dual guitar) from turning into a wall of sound. My band currently has 2 guitars and a bassist, and if my bassist decided to quit for whatever reason then I would fill in his position in as heartbeat (mind you I do practice bass as a secondary instrument).
I switch rolls between bassist and rhythm guitarist in my band. A bassist is essential to do a gig, but if you're just jamming and playing around, a bassist is optional.
Quote by BrickIsRed
I switch rolls between bassist and rhythm guitarist in my band. A bassist is essential to do a gig, but if you're just jamming and playing around, a bassist is optional.

Are you mainly the rythem guitarest or the bassist? How many songs do you play guitar and how many songs do you play bass?
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by xEpidemicx
Are you mainly the rythem guitarest or the bassist? How many songs do you play guitar and how many songs do you play bass?

Live, mainly the bassist.

I haven't counted the exact number of songs we've ever played, but 70% of the time when we're jamming I play guitar, unless we have a guest 2nd guitarist. At our last gig, I played two songs guitar, and three songs bass.
Quote by AmpleSteak
Take a bass out of any piece of music, you will be removing the heart and soul of the song. So yes it is needed, and White Stripes do use bass in the studio (from what i've heard).

dependign on what you are listening to. there is a bass like every 1 in 10 white stripes songs... but im not sure if its a genuine bass, i think its an artificial bass, like a guitar with an octave pedal in the background.
well heres my 2 cents

Alot of bands have a bassist just for the because every one else does. Thats not a good idea. At the same time some bands dodn't have a bassist just for the sake of not having a bassist and having a unique sound. However being unique just for the sake of being unique isn't a great idea. My advice is to listen to some of your favorite bands and listen to their bassist. Especcially do this for live performances. Try to imagine the song without bass and determine if bass is really necessary for their sound, thus determining if its necesary for your sound. Also consider other alternatives to bass such as keys. Keys can do a great job out of filling out your low end while providing high end acompenaement as well. It doesn't even have to br keys, it can be like a tuba or any other low end intrusment. That being said your best bet would be to jam with a bass player. but don't just treat it as a normal jam session. Analyze it and see if what ever he hads to your sound is worth adding to your band.
The bassist is the heart and soul of our songs. If he isn't playing, it's obvious that there is an instrument missing.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by trey-col89
Not true....

Its bad to have a bassist that constantly improvises and gets lost in his improvisations and then can't make the correct changes in a song. If your bassist can still make the changes, and inbetween throw in some frilly fills, then its awesome.

i agree, if he improvises while still keeping rhytm and actualy knowing how to play the song. If he just hits random Am pentatonic notes ALL THE TIME, than that awsome. Especialy during songs that are in other keys.....
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Think of it this way; The human ear can hear 15Hz to 20,000Hz. If you don't have a bassist, your band is missing a large chunk of that.
Quote by Who-Killed-Joy
dependign on what you are listening to. there is a bass like every 1 in 10 white stripes songs... but im not sure if its a genuine bass, i think its an artificial bass, like a guitar with an octave pedal in the background.

Whites Stripes use bass in almost EVERY studio recording they do. Listen to them live. Ever wonder why it sounds so much different than when they are in the studio? It's because Jack White doesn't layer in a bass guitar live.

I'm tired of hearing the "White Stripes don't have a bassist" argument. It basically shows that you have no idea what you're talking about.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
You want a unique sound? You want bass? You don't want to surrender your guitar?

Look into piccolo bass. If you can use it well, you'll sound amazing.
One of you should just play bass, I fail to see why so many guitarists seem to have a stigma of not playing bass, if you want, you can essentially play it just like a guitar without so many chords, or if they think the bass is easy, show them some Rush or Maiden and they'll be quiet.
you need a bass player.

get a bass player, and then practice without him. youll see how shitty it sounds.
bass adds so much depth to your music.
The bass is the mortar between the bricks of a song.

You wouldn't be very smart to build a house of bricks without mortar.
Quote by jsantos
Man, All i can say is that if you guys can write good individual parts for 2 guitars, you may fill the void of not having a bottom end.

Keys.
If you're not getting a bassist, at least get a boards player to play basslines. Otherwise your boned.

If you want to keep musicians down, have your other guitarist play bass. I'm in a trio with me on guitar/vocals and a bassist and a drummer. and thats it.
Page 1 of 2