Hi,

When I sit I've always tension in my right shoulder when I do alternate picking. It is not really in the soulder, but rather in may back near the shoulder. Lay your left hand on the right shoulder and "glide" down the back and you know where it is (I hope you know what I mean). Sometimes after practicing alternate picking I get even pain there.

But I can't imagine how I can correct that. This tension comes from raising my arm, but I MUST raising my arm. When I only move my elbow the hand is far to deep. So I must raise my arm and I think you can't raise your arm without making tense in the soulder. Perhaps the only way to solve the problem is picking like George Benson, who has his elbow very relaxed in deep position and the forarm "in line" with the strings. But i think that's not what i want...

Today I've tried to pick unachored which feels really nice. But with this technique the problem of tense in my shoulder is even bigger, because I can't brace the weight of my arm. How do guys like Paul Gilbert, Buckethead (both play withou anchoring) or you pick without tense in the shoulder and without a forearm "in line" like GB?

I hope you understand what's the problem (and understand my english ) when not feel free to demand

Big thanks for reply!
Last edited by Flip215 at Oct 15, 2008,
Yes, whereas I touch the strings often slightly with my palm, but I wouldn't it call "anchoring", because it's far away from resting.

But the problem of tense exist not only when I play unanchoring. It is only a bit worse...
If I am understanding you correctly, Freepower addresses this problem. Watch his lesson on posture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWcg

In short, my recommendation to you is to rest your guitar on your left leg (as opposed to your right), which angles your guitar, allowing you to drop your shoulder into a relaxed position without having to bring your forearm in line with the strings (as you describe with the "Benson" example).
Fast guitarists let their arms hang loose. The elbow just drops straight down, and the picking motion is confined to the forearm and (especially) the wrist.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by fixationdarknes
If I am understanding you correctly, Freepower addresses this problem. Watch his lesson on posture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWcg

In short, my recommendation to you is to rest your guitar on your left leg (as opposed to your right), which angles your guitar, allowing you to drop your shoulder into a relaxed position without having to bring your forearm in line with the strings (as you describe with the "Benson" example).

The idea is good, but I think that's rather for classic guitarists. I mean nearly every rock guitarist plays on the right leg. I must mentioned that when I play normal (without focus of alternate picking etc) I have not this problem...it's only when I want to make a tremolo pick for one minute or more. The video is a good help! I will try to put the neck of the guitar a bit forward.

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Fast guitarists let their arms hang loose. The elbow just drops straight down, and the picking motion is confined to the forearm and (especially) the wrist.

My picking motions is confined only to the wrist. I have not his problem when I stand so I can comprehend what you say. But the problem is to image how anyone can let his am hand loose when sitting.

Quote by melton100
Relax your arm and pick with the wrist

The problem is NOT the picking motion, but the move to bring the wrist in the position to pick!
Left leg is a better position for both hands and is closer to guitar position for standing as well. Thus it wins.

TS, it takes a long time to get rid of all the tension in your playing (I haven't yet and don't know who has). I'd recommend you read "Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar" if you're really into it.
I know the book and have read it, but I must admit that I have not comprehend all (I'm not very well in english...) What was your way to get rid of all the tension? Now I noticed with how much tension I often play.
Practice with as little tension as possible.

This means play really slow and pay attention to not tensing your shoulder. Soon your shoulder will no longer be as tense as you play.
Quote by Flip215
The idea is good, but I think that's rather for classic guitarists. I mean nearly every rock guitarist plays on the right leg. I must mentioned that when I play normal (without focus of alternate picking etc) I have not this problem...it's only when I want to make a tremolo pick for one minute or more. The video is a good help! I will try to put the neck of the guitar a bit forward.

Yes most people play on the right leg, but most people play also poorly. Sit the guitar on your left leg or forever hold your peace.

Quote by Flip215

My picking motions is confined only to the wrist. I have not his problem when I stand so I can comprehend what you say. But the problem is to image how anyone can let his am hand loose when sitting.

The reason you don't have the problem when you stand is because you most likely strap the guitar low enough that your shoulder naturally drops to reach the strings. Once again, if you rest the guitar on the left leg, you'll reduce problems. And as Freepower says it is closer to the standing-up position anyway, and nearly every rock guitarist plays standing as well as sitting, so there you go.
Shoulder??????

How the hell do you pick, the most i get is in my wrist.

And that is after playing flight of the bumblebee.

Also do you rock your arm at the strings like Pete Townshend, cause that would make your shoulder soar. Otherwise i have no clue