It all started when my I found out the my new guitar teacher was all blues and blues is the basic of everything that you'll ever do and if you can't play blues you can't play and stuff.
I told him that I don't want to know how to play blues. Right in his face. He even asked me if I wanted to start with the "Mastering Rock Guitar" or "Mastering Blues Guitar" book. I choose the rock one but he went with the other one anyway.
So basically, I'm learning some lame 12 bar blues licks that are not worthy of a 30min lesson every week and 420€ for a year. In addition to that the lesson pretty much consists of him playing his guitar for 20 mins and me watching.

I'm gonna change teacher next year if this doesn't get any better but until then I've gotta develop my rock/metal side myself.

So I was trollin' UG and everyone one was like: "Learn Harmonic Minor!"
In their sigs, in their posts, everywhere.
I learned the HM scale and I must say that I perfer it towards the Pentatonic scale.
But it ended up sounding more spanish/bluesy than rock.
Maybe because I'm playing it over blues backing tracks.

OK, so after that I was all like: "oooh, I need some more scales" and everyone was like "learn the Phyrgian and Myxolydian scales, they sound pretty metal" so I learned the scales but I just can't get them to sound "metal", I'm still stuck to my blues way of trying to play everything.

What I need:

1. Hard Rock/Metal backing tracks (youtube seems to only have blues ones)
2. Licks/Riffs in HM, Phryg. or Myxo.
What I think sounds more metuhl than scales and modes are arpeggios. Ne-Classical metuhl uses alot of arpeggios.
Quote by jsantos
What I think sounds more metuhl than scales and modes are arpeggios. Ne-Classical metuhl uses alot of arpeggios.

keep on talking
There is no "metal" scale. I think you need a better understanding of chords and the major scale before moving onto modes.
Yeah so the scales and modes are used in every type of music, pop, jazz, to metuhl. What makes them sound the genre is the phrasing and techniques you use behind them. Metal uses alot of palm muting, palm muting while you shredd scales up and down. Also, artificial harmonics on phrasing is used all the time in metuhl. Arpeggios fit well in metal songs because of the classical influences you find within the genre.
Quote by Ssargentslayer
There is no "metal" scale. I think you need a better understanding of chords and the major scale before moving onto modes.

I know that there isn't a metal scale but I do think that there is/are some scales that many famous rock bands perfer except for the pentatonic.
Quote by jsantos
Yeah so the scales and modes are used in every type of music, pop, jazz, to metuhl. What makes them sound the genre is the phrasing and techniques you use behind them. Metal uses alot of palm muting, palm muting while you shredd scales up and down. Also, artificial harmonics on phrasing is used all the time in metuhl. Arpeggios fit well in metal songs because of the classical influences you find within the genre.

I only know the word "arpeggio" in context with disecting chords.
How do I apply this to a solo/improvisation?

edit: I know that "Arpeggios from Hell" piece from Malmsteen, is this what you mean?
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Oct 15, 2008,
^ i think you're missing out on what exactly it is that makes metal METAL!!!!! seriously though, sit down and learn some metal songs that you like. then learn some classical and blues songs since metal was spawned from both classical and blues.

edit: and if you don't like your teacher then fire him, tell him you want your money back and get a new teacher that will teach you what you want to learn.
Quote by z4twenny
^ i think you're missing out on what exactly it is that makes metal METAL!!!!! seriously though, sit down and learn some metal songs that you like. then learn some classical and blues songs since metal was spawned from both classical and blues.

Sounds reasonable enough.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

1. Hard Rock/Metal backing tracks (youtube seems to only have blues ones)
2. Licks/Riffs in HM, Phryg. or Myxo.

1.Guitar Backing Tracks
2.Learn some songs you like in the style you like. Personally I like classic rock and the blues so can't help you with Metal licks.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
1.Guitar Backing Tracks
2.Learn some songs you like in the style you like. Personally I like classic rock and the blues so can't help you with Metal licks.

Thanks!

I can't find the option for random backing tracks, you know, like not from a band.
^ seriously i recommend just turning on the radio and playing with whatevers on, flip through stations and play along with stuff you normally wouldn't play along with. i love metal too, but playing along with hip hop, techno, tejano and country have really helped open up my ears and mind.
Quote by z4twenny
^ seriously i recommend just turning on the radio and playing with whatevers on, flip through stations and play along with stuff you normally wouldn't play along with. i love metal too, but playing along with hip hop, techno, tejano and country have really helped open up my ears and mind.

haha, sounds like a fun idea.
I'll give it a go tommarow.

Pentatonic fits most?
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
In addition to that the lesson pretty much consists of him playing his guitar for 20 mins and me watching.

Change teachers long before the year's end.

blah blah blah I'm jumping into modes without a real understanding of scales...

Learn the major scale, of what it consists, and its functions fluently before worrying about modes.