Hey,
I have recently purchased a fuzz pedal (Boss Hyper Fuzz FZ-2) but im having problems with power supplies for it, now the thing works fine with standard 9v alkaline batteries but i have purchased two power adapters and both have failed, me being cheap assumed i could just use any suitable power adapter rather than forking out money for a special 'Boss' one or something which technically should do the same.

Anyway the power adapters i have tried are both input voltage 230Vac/50Hz, output voltage 9v but one was 500mA and the other 1000mA, and yes i used them with correct polarity but:
when using any of them whilst playing (i play bass if that makes it any different from guitar) the sound produced cuts out and somewhat crackly is the best way to describe it, mainly when im using passive pickups, active is not so bad but still cuts off now and again, i am assuming it is because the adapter is failing to power the pedal enough or something? As i do not get the crackle when using a 9V battery.

Do i have to purchase these expensive branded power adapters for some reason?
Anyone want to shed any light on the situation or help?

I got the adapters from Maplin, they don't do refunds on transformers either apparently which is why i have tried 2, took the 500mA back and got the 1000mA instead assuming it would help, it didn't.

Thanks for any replies.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
first we need to know what the milliAmp rating is of your pedal.

yes, those adapter by Boss and the like are usually more expensive, but they are also usually worth it. Both of those that you have are rated high. Can you list out the specs for your pedal?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 15, 2008,
aah, after searching the internet for specifications of this pedal i have found the 'current draw' for the pedal is apparently '16mA', i assume some pedals require more juice than others then? Which thinking about it makes sense. Looks like im going to have to plunge for one of these Boss PSA adapters or something.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
The Boss PSA-240, the recommended adapter for input voltage of 220-240v (standard UK) for the FZ-2 has output voltage of 9v DC 200mA regulated, should one of the adapters i tried have worked? or is it they are providing too much milliAmp? As you can tell im not the most knowledgeable on this subject but just concerned if its something to do with the pedal's AC input being damaged.

Its hard to find specs for the FZ-2 as its so old and i have bought it with no instruction manual or anything which may have specifications on it, the box just says use Boss PSA adapter.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Aah, another major finding in the reason for the adapter not working, is that in small letters on the box it says un-regulated, could this deffinately be the reason it does not work? as all PSA adapters provide regulated current im assuming that pedals are best powered from regulated adapters.

Let me know what you think if your knowledgable on electronics, as I evidently am not.
Thanks.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
are you sure - maybe try to contact Boss or Google.

unregulated power? what's that supposed to mean?

otherwise, I think you will be just fine. The only time people get into trouble is when they use a say a 200ma adapter with a device that requires 500ma - not the other way around.
well most effect pedals require a DC power supply the one you listed there is an ac supply, so at a glance that looks to be your problem, Boss's PSA is a DC supply and alkaline 9V bats are DC too (as in they havea designated + -) Ac's don't.

Maybe that helps maybe not.
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at Oct 17, 2008,
well it is an AC adapter which provides a DC output voltage (and it does have +ve and -ve tips on it, as it has different sized jack's to put on, depending which way round you put the jack onto it chooses which polarity is used, center positive or negative), I think im going to go and get it changed for one which is regulated current because that might be the problem. When I do get it changed I will post back on here if it works or not.

Thanks for any help though.

Generally if i was to reverse time my advice would be get a proper one but still, im into it now and they don't do refunds on transformers so I'll find one that does work! because im skint!
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
result!

pedal power adapters do need to have output of regulated current. Otherwise = fail. thanks all.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w